Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Socket set PSA
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862421_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Bargain for anyone needing a socket and spanner set !

usually 199.99 – then reduced to 99.99 and now till tuesday 79.99 – which is a bargain for what your getting.

bearnecessities

Oooh….must resist..

avdave2

I’m pretty close to spending £100 from that psa about the HiLo seatposts and now you go and post that! Actually when you look at all that for £80 £100 for a dropper post looks ridiculous.

CHB

Wow, thats a good price for a great quality socket set. I already have a full set of Halfords professional sockets, otherwise would buy this.

andyl
    Free Member

I already have the original set which has done very well. Although I need to take a few bits in and get them replaced under warranty. It’s getting a bit tired now though as I always end up working on the cars in bad weather so they are getting a bit rusty, ratchets worn and the box is starting to fail at the hinge.

I did say I was going to buy another set for keeping in the house for working on non-car stuff so silly to resist at this price quite frankly.

andyl
    Free Member

for anyone wanting it for working on the car this new set looks better suited to car stuff: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’e got that first one posted, I got it for £100 two years ago, proper good value and the tools have a lifetime guarantee

I’ll be honest, i’ve probably used less than ten sockets 😳

andyl
    Free Member

I wish they would do one like the 150 but without the imperial sockets.

I’ve used pretty much every part of my kit except most of the imperial stuff so could live without them for a workshop kit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I want more imperials.

I also use whitworth spanners so that probably counts me out of most of the general populus’ surveys of spanners most wanted ha ha imperial impacts impact sockets are en route the end of this month

mark90
    Free Member

The beauty of working on land rovers, you get a nice eclectic mix of sizes and standards. Most of my sockets get some action.

Don’t ‘need’ another socket set, but the offer is tempting.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Just resurrecting this thread…any advice from those in-the-know which would be the best set for working on a variety of bikes? I was looking at the 90 piece set to cover most of the bases regarding bike-specific stuff.

Linky

marcus7
    Free Member

To be honest a big set like that is wasted on just bike stuff and you only need a few bits and bobs, get a decent set of Allen keys (I rate bondhaus) and things like a chain whip and tools to remove cassettes and bottom brackets, a good torque wrench is good but not essential. For bike maintenance I would say build up of tools that you actually need as some are job specific and you’ll need them no matter what or you’ll end up with a box of shiny unused (in the main) tools!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

exilegeordie – I’ll mainly agree with marcus above. But a few small things
    – a decent socket set us really handy for (the non-intended use) of drifting out and in bearings.
    – you’ll have the set “forever” and dont know now what it’ll be used for in the future. If you like fixing things.
    – bike specific : a decent set will have each of the hex and torx bits (and probably a few philips) on their own 1/4 or 3/8 “socket” ie you wont need to find that elusive adapter to use a hex bit with the ratchet. So in the link you posted I’ll guarantee that you’ll loose the adapter for the bits, then you’ll start using a 8mm socket, but that doesnt hold the bits properly so the bits drop out and you’ll go grey prematurely.

Of course if you’ve got a decent separate set of hex keys then thats less important.

btw – I got a small Halfords Pro 1/4″ set a few years back to replace various sockets and it’s pretty good.

Anyway overall: do you like or are interested in fixing stuff? Yes- get a big set and save some cash long term. No – or just bikes – buy what you need and save some cash long term.

marcus7
    Free Member

Oh I forgot to say have halfords pro tools among others which for me perform just as well as my SO (won’t say it as I’m not a proper mechanic…. By all means get the set as you will probably use them on other things especially if you like to tinker with stuff, I just meant it wasn’t the best thing for pure bike work.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks for those replies marcus and csw.

neninja
    Free Member

I use my Halfords Professional 1/4 drive socket set more than any other tools I’ve ever owned. I’ve had it about 10 years and it gets used pretty much daily – the box hinge is broken but the drive and sockets are still like new.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

D’Oh!

Back up to the usual reduced price of £99.99!

Why didn’t I see this PSA last night?

rondo101
    Free Member

The OP is a month old.

Mugboo

I bought the smaller Halfords Advance set a while back. The 1/4 drive ratchet died recently after no serious use. I returned it only to be told that the warranty applies to the body of the tool but not the mechanism.
    I pointed out that it was no longer a tool with a mechanism!

He swapped it for me this time to keep my business.

Love the socket set though. I added a set of adapters to hop the drive sizes up and down across all my various ratchets and sockets.

footflaps

I got this set (or it’s equivalent) about 20 years ago as a Birthday present from my Dad – still going strong.

Rich_s

They also have (ends today I think) a deal on their 7 drawer Professional chest AND 5 drawer cabinet – for £199.99 which is 1/2 price.

Hope the linky works:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&action=discount&promotionCode=219139

Cougar

I bought the smaller Halfords Advance set a while back. The 1/4 drive ratchet died recently after no serious use. I returned it only to be told that the warranty applies to the body of the tool but not the mechanism.

Same happened to me, after about a fortnight. When I took it back, they really didn’t want to replace it. Made me produce the receipt and spent ages buggering about ‘testing’ it, but eventually swapped the entire set. A word to the wise, stash the receipt somewhere safe.

DrP

Anyone want to go halves on the cabinet set?? I only need the roller cabinet y’see…

DrP

marcus7
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got two top boxes and would like a rollcab…. 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Now that seems to say bottom 149 top 199..
    buy together for 199..

alfabus
    Free Member

good PSA, just ordered the tool cab set 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

for how much though?

DrP

Mine says:
    1 x Halfords Professional 7 Drawer Ball-Bearing Chest (£149.99)
    1 x Halfords Professional 5 Drawer Ball-Bearing Cabinet (£249.99)

Both = £199

DrP

alfabus
    Free Member

£199 for both 🙂

free delivery as well!

Dave

footflaps

They also have (ends today I think) a deal on their 7 drawer Professional chest AND 5 drawer cabinet – for £199.99 which is 1/2 price.

Thanks for that – just ordered one 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Comes up as 349 when i try..grr

wysiwyg
    Free Member

PSA> dont forget quidco and BC members extra 10% off for 13% off total

footflaps

Looks this this after you add both items:

Order by brf, on Flickr

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not for me it doesnt

Rich_s

wysiwyg – are you a blatchatter?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Am i a what? Lotus driver? No..
    Ive sorted it, had to buy from the page where both boxes are shown, not click thru as to individual pages..

footflaps

Mine arrived last week, finally got round to putting it in the workshop and putting all the tools in it:

Toolbox installed by brf, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice boxes them:)

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody hell … at this rate all my wallet is going to get lighter this summer … arrgghhh ….

But good call as I need a set of tools to mess with my car … 😆

Also need the followings … arrgghhh …

1. Sony AS15 as car camera due to zombies on the road.
    2. Nilfisk C110.4-5 X-tra Pressure Washer.
    3. Some heavy duty car jack …

😯

footflaps

The only downside with them is the promotion stickers on them don’t peel off easily. Will need to use a hot air gun to shift em.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Socket set PSA’ is closed to new replies.