Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sociology – Good reads
  • scratch
    Free Member

I’ve read a few books lately that, I think? would come under the banner Sociology, stuff like ‘Making things Stick’ by Chip and Dan Heath, I was about to purchase ‘Tipping point’ but…

The area interests me as it lines up with my job in some respects, but I have no real understanding of the subject and I wondered who, if anyone were respected figures in the field, rather than the snake oil nonsense.

I’m also on the lookout for readable books on basic economics, same again, no idea who to look for!

Any recommendations would be welcome!

BillMC

A recent(ish) book that includes sociology, economics and social epidemiology is Richard Wilkinson’s ‘The Spirit Level’. If you’re interested in the discipline then Mike Haralambos’s textbook contains a staggering number of summaries of studies and explanations of perspectives.

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks, Spirit Level looks good, I’ll have a look at the text book to

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Haralambos is (or was 20 years ago) the A Level bible for Sociology. Well worth a read or just have it to reference stuff raised in other books.

BillMC

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships by Ryan

This is also a really good read (ignore the trashy title). It’s got socio-biology, anthropology, sociology and deals with big issues like monogamy (obvs) and the incest taboo and sexuality and what goes on in (some) jungles.

Spin
    Free Member

I was about to purchase ‘Tipping point’ but…

You realised it was derivative bollocks like everything else Malcolm Gladwell has written? Good choice, don’t waste your money.

scratch
    Free Member

Luckily I spotted a few negative reviews, but that’s my problem, who to listen to and who not to! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sociology – Good reads’ is closed to new replies.