• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by wool.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Soapflakes = Nikwax/Grangers??
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does anybody know, can prove that these are the same? yet i’ve just found a 750ml of liquid soapflakes for 2.99, as opposed to a 1ltr nikwax liquid at 12 quid?

do they honestly do the same job? its all gore clothing/active shell/windstopper material so at the mo i wash in tech wash and then spray the garment (the reproofer spray is excellent btw, dont mind paying for that), but just fed up everytime i wash it using the nikwax at such expense…

its so muddy out at the mo, im washing 2x a week with nikwax and its just to expensive to carry on doing so 🙁

if soapflakes in liquid form are the same this will save me a small fortune!

spacemonkey

Using Boots soap flakes (handwash) at the mo, but only on “lighter” garments, i.e. windstopper and showerproof shells. Will be using Nikwax on my Paramo Altira because that seems the approved norm.

BTW you can buy x litres of Nikwax et all and save a few quid.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I got a box of soapflakes from Boots earlier this year for about a fiver. Thats what I use. Just dont put them in the washing machine!

IHN

Use the liquid soap, spend the rest on hookers.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

theres a new version of soap flakes thats washing machine friendly – hand wash is no use to me as i dont have time to do it….

i just really want to know if its going to do the same job as nikwax, but save a load of cash for hookers 😉

just worries me that nikwax is designed for the type of clothing we use and conditions, whereas soapflakes are just pretty generic, so im thinking there is something special in the nikwax that helps with waterproof aspect/breathability etc?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I use soap flakes over Techwash etc., but obviously that’s just cleaning- it won’t be doing anything for reproofing.

IHN

im thinking there is something special in the nikwax that helps with waterproof aspect/breathability etc?

Shows that their marketing works then.

Seriously, just use soap.

druidh
    Free Member

I use soap flake liquid normally and a good wash in Nikwax cleaner if I am going to re-proof. The cleaner will strip out more contaminants than the soap and help the re-proofer “stick”.

RustySpanner

Boots soap flakes here.

You can use them in your machine if you disolve them in water first.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool – cheers, im going to purchase the new liquid washing machine version then, its the same colour as nikwax if that counts for anything 🙂

re-proofing isnt an issue, the nikwax spray proof is excellent (the newest version 11.1 or something), but washing wise id use detergent if i knew it wasnt going to ruin the material/fabric, thats why im after thoughts on the soapflakes thing, seems like a pretty good investment thats not going to ruin my gore stuff

fathomer

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Boots soap flakes here.
    You can use them in your machine if you disolve them in water first.

I’ve done this in the past, I just wait till the water starts going through the relevant compartment of the powder draw and pour it in. Liquid soap flakes would be less of a faff though.

Oscillate Wildly – Have you got a link to the liquid stuff?

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just added soap flakes to the washer drawer before. It’s never a problem unless you use too much.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Mum always used them fine in the machine, as long as dissolved in warm water first and poured in.

I’ve followed the same for twenty odd years with outdoor kit and never had a problem

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

fathomer :

http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/liquid-soap-for-laundry.html#.ULdEwqy5Uwg

reading the blurb (which i missed), it actually says its ideal for outdoor gear/waterproof clothing as it wont affect the waterproof material/fabric!

which im guessing is basically what nikwax does!

struggling find somewhere buy it online mind

kevin1911

ebay to the rescue again

Although postage doubles the cost. Will keep an eye out in local supermarkets I think.

EDIT – actually they do a 6-pack for about £21. Seems ok value, as should last for years.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-blog/pure-soap-in-liquid-form-at-last/7711.html

a review of it! perfect! looks like a good investment given its based on the same clothing we use

kevin1911

each bottle should give around 15 washes, which is a lot less than technical cleaners, even though they do work well.

That seems odd to me. The Nikwax Tech Wash I was using before told you to put about 150ml in per 2 items, so that’s only ~8 washes per bottle… have I missed something?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

did wonder about that too- must be an error

the reason for me wanting to try/buy this is because as you say above 150ml for two items means i get about 8 washes which in winter is about every 3 weeks 🙁

whyter

You can get the liquid soap flakes in Tesco and Waitrose (at least in Edinburgh!). About £3.15/bottle.

jim
    Free Member

That seems odd to me. The Nikwax Tech Wash I was using before told you to put about 150ml in per 2 items, so that’s only ~8 washes per bottle… have I missed something?

I think they just mean that £3 for 15 washes is a lot cheaper than “technical” cleaners.

kevin1911

Ah right, “a lot less per wash than technical cleaners”. Makes sense

nealy
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure all the different brand of soap flakes come from the same factory so just get which ever is cheapest, I’ve got Tesco’s Grannys Original Soap Flakes although not sure if they’re selling it at the moment. It’s easy enough to use, weigh out 30g into a jug, fill jug with boiling water and give it a quick stir to dissolve flakes then pour it in the machine, ask missus how to use washing machine then leave it in there until someone else hangs it up.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The cleaner will strip out more contaminants than the soap and help the re-proofer “stick”.

Source?

IHN

Source?

Grangers/Nik-Wax 😉

BadlyWiredDog

The cleaner will strip out more contaminants than the soap and help the re-proofer “stick”.
    Source?

I’ve mostly used soap flakes for washing Gore-Tex stuff, Windstopper, soft shells etc and DWR (reproofer) seems to take just fine. Quite often you can get away with heat treating – iron carefully according to care label, avoid reflective bits or tumble at a low setting – which will revive the original DWR by mobilising the polymer chains, or something… but you don’t need to reproof every time. If you sprinkle water on the fabric and it beads and runs off, you’re good to go.

rootes1

Granny’s – from the super market – cheap.

work in the washing machine

honeybadgerx

Nikwax proofer is pretty much just watered down PVA glue, however you’re a braver man than me if you give that a try! I’ve always gone for washing with soap flakes and proofing with wash in Grangers stuff followed by a tumble dry. The Grangers products tend to be more durable than nikwax, but you do need to heat treat the, to get them to bond to the fabric properly. Often all that’s required is a good wash though due to the build up of cack (garment technologists term) making the fabric wet out.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What about using white vinegar?

Frankers
    Free Member

The liquid soap smells awful like its got loads of vegtable oil included whereas the flakes smell lovely

wool

CoOp soap flakes on all my outdoor stuff and in the washing machine its bubble tastic! Then nicwax and a tumble dry,the system has worked perfectly for years, just debating the P.V.A thing going to have to give it a try on a old jacket or something and wait till the wife is out as she will freak out if she sees me tipping P.V.A in the washing machine!!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Soapflakes = Nikwax/Grangers??’ is closed to new replies.