• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • So youre overpaid your salary
  • project
    Free Member

Freind gets paid monthly, and he has been paid twice on the same monthly billing cycle, can his boss reclaim the cash back,via the bank or have to ask nicely or can he resign and keep the cash as hes thinking of doing.As he thinks it their problem not his and he was going to leave.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You have to give it back, it’s da laws innit.

toppers3933
    Free Member

It’s a mistake on their part but you have to give it back because it’s not yours and you know where it came from. Otherwise it’s theft/fraud.

m0rk
    Free Member

The business will get their money back when they realise.

He’d be better off ‘offering it up’ than waiting for the small claims court

spooky_b329

Or if he stays, you can sometimes pay back by salary deduction. If you refuse to pay it, they will probably use salary deduction, in one big lump 😯

poolman
    Free Member

Happened to a mate once. Claimed 124 expenses and paid 124k….he’s got the letter from his bank offering investment advice framed on his wall. He banked a few hundred quid in interest back then but fussed up. Hr did not believe him at first. I think someone got sacked for it.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Always good to leave a job on good terms where possible, you just never know what the future holds. A negative reference could have an impact on future employment.

bearnecessities

or can he resign and keep the cash as hes thinking of doing

Aside from any obvious classy-friend comments, he wouldn’t be resigning, he’d be just disappearing if he wanted to scarper with money that wasn’t his.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Most employment contracts have this specifically mentioned in them. Give it straight back i say.

bruneep

He’s got to pay it back, better fess up sooner rather than later.

slightly different I was over paid small amounts over a long period amount came to just over £800. Payroll wanted to take the whole lot off in the next months pay. “You overpaid me small amounts you can take it off in small amounts, how does £20 a month sound?”

Zedsdead
    Free Member

is it a million quid?

If so transfer it to a new account and jump on a plane outtahere!

Drac

Most employment contracts have this specifically mentioned in them. Give it straight back i say.

There’s no need it’s the law you inform your employer and pay it back.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I vaguely recall there being a rule that states the repayment deductions cannot leave you with a net pay under minimum wage.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I had this once on a contract job.
    Purchase dept made a mistake and two people submitted my time card/invoice by mistake. (Manual system of course)

Turns out if you tell them pretty much immediately they then muck around for weeks trying to work out exactly what to do then decide that they’ve spent more than the original overpayment in mucking about hours then just write it off.

They never did it again.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

By the way, this was about 25 years ago and they did ask me back……

irc

I took 6 weeks unpaid leave to add to holidays and go touring. They kept on paying me. So I told them and they took it back. It didn’t help me later when they deducted a day’s pay they weren’t supposed to. It took 3 months, conversations with the regional manager, and bringing in my copy of my contract.

m0rk
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    I vaguely recall there being a rule that states the repayment deductions cannot leave you with a net pay under minimum wage.

But they’re not… They’ve given it to him already so it’s not a deduction in the straight sense.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This happened to me once, ironcically on the day I was being made redundant and was in receipt of two redundancy packages, which made it about £16k in total. My first son was only a month away as well and given that there were two pregnant females that hadn’t even been put at risk, I was pretty angry and came close to just not giving it back at all.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Years ago a summer uni job my brother got paid an extra weeks pay when he had completed his final week. They rang him a few days after and said they’d made a mistake, he told them they should employ better quality staff and he accepted it as a bonus payment for good work..

He never heard from them again, so kept it, it was a proper sh1te job and 12 hour shifts of numbing water bottle filling , a proper penny pinching firm..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My first son was only a month away as well and given that there were two pregnant females that hadn’t even been put at risk, I was pretty angry and came close to just not giving it back at all.

Eh?

I do remember one hotel I worked for and there were two porters with the same name, one was the Head porter with 20 yrs service and the other was seasonal. They were leaving on the same day. Young seasonal lad got given the HP’s final salary payment inc a bonus payment, plus his own pay. He was already on his way to the airport for a round the world trip and was never seen or heard of again!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

He was made redundant, part of the process is making people aware that they are “at risk”. I guess he had two pregnant colleagues who were never even put on to that list. While he was.

Understandably pissed off.

It happens at lots of places, making sick or pregnant people redundant can lead to a whole world of pain. Whether you deserve it or not.

steve-g
    Free Member

Worked a month at a place once, got paid and left. The next month I got paid again despite having not worked at all, at that point I kept quiet planning to pocket the interest and pay them back when they asked for it but I didn’t hear anything. Another month goes by, they paid me again and at this point I decided I had better tell them as opposed to living on a permanent wage for no work for the rest of my life, anyway I called them up, explained the situation, gave then my contact details, another month passes and I get paid AGAIN this time including all of the holiday I had accrued during this 3 months I had been “working” there. I assume that to save having to admit cocking up my pay someone in HR just put my months notice through when I called up after month 2.

That was…oh 15 years ago now and I have never heard anything back on it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Freind gets paid monthly, and he has been paid twice on the same monthly billing cycle, can his boss reclaim the cash back,via the bank or have to ask nicely or can he resign and keep the cash as hes thinking of doing.As he thinks it their problem not his and he was going to leave.

Is your friend a thief?

johndoh
    Free Member

I was once overpaid and I immediately told them as I thought it was an honesty test.

Keva
    Free Member

happened to me when I took three months unpaid sabbatical… except it became three months paid sabbatical. Upon my return to the UK I was told I could either pay the money back or forfeit three months salary, whichever was easiest for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

when i was 17 working at a pizza place. i went to cash point on payday and i’d been massively overpaid (4 times what i should have been paid). in my naivety i thought the best thing to do was take it all out in cash. then go out. so i go to the pub with almost £500 (for 2 weeks part time work). shitting my pants i’m gonna get robbed all night

next time i went into work i started asking subtle questions. Turned out it was a years worth of leave – which was never paid as they just rota’d you off.

P-Jay
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

This happened to me once, ironcically on the day I was being made redundant and was in receipt of two redundancy packages, which made it about £16k in total. My first son was only a month away as well and given that there were two pregnant females that hadn’t even been put at risk, I was pretty angry and came close to just not giving it back at all.

This happened at a national level at one of my previous places, simple admin error meant that redundancy packages were paid twice, the day they left the role, and then again at the end of their 3-month gardening leave date.
    I seem to recall about 40 people were ‘the lucky few’ the contracts were complex so even when the first couple of Honest Joes called in, HR couldn’t confirm if they were due the money or not, and asked them to sit on it. When it was confirmed a few weeks later it was an over-payment, the majority of people involved became “uncontactable”.
    I think some paid it all back as soon as they were asked, some paid it back in instalments over a LONG time and some disappeared never to be seen again. Legally it’s pretty clear cut, you have to return it – but I doubt the Police would consider it a criminal act or want to peruse it, there’s no credit agreement so you can’t go through the county court, meaning an expensive High Court case would be their only legal recourse.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘So youre overpaid your salary’ is closed to new replies.