Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • So your boss is late paying you your wages.
  • project
    Free Member

Not me, but 2 other people i know, both said they had been late being paid, should be monthly but delayed by over a week to 10 days,both working for different companies.
    The problem is they have bills to pay on set dates by DD,so need the money when it should be there,after telling the boss of both comapnies,both bosses have said that because thyre not getting paid on time,they cant pay the workforce, both companies employ about 8 people, and there is little alternative work out there for the employees.
    So what to do carry on working and hope to get paid, or not work and not get any money.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Join a union. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Form a union.

donsimon
    Free Member

Talk.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stalk.

sweepy
    Free Member

steal enough company property to cover it?

Kevevs
    Free Member

golfclub

Junkyard
    Free Member

Legally it is breach of contract but what you can practically do i dont know

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The problem is they have bills to pay on set dates by DD,so need the money when it should be there

See, they ought to have contingency plans in place for such eventualities. The bosses and the employees. As frustrating as it is to not get paid on time, it’s not the fault of others if you jolly well have not bin paid on time. Why should the next person/company/service along the chain suffer because you jolly well have not made provisions in case of emergencies?

So none of them have any ‘rainy day’ funds then?

Broken Britain. Right there. 😐

ton

sweepy is winning…….. 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Legally it is breach of contract but what you can practically do i dont know

Play with this knowledge.
    Talk to people.
    Talk to the people they owe money to explaining the situation, at least the story in the press will look better if your friends have followed the right channels.
    Talk to a solicitor to see if it is breach.
    Talk to the contract breaching boss to ask for clarity of the problem, if it’s short term and they trust the boss, run with it. If it looks more terminal they’ve not really got much to lose by telling him to stuff the job and use the threat of walking to get him to react.
    Good luck and all a bit shitty at this time of year.

anagallis_arvensis

Well it clearly is someones fault if you’ve done the work but not been paid.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As Junkyard said. Any missed payment penalties should be paid by the employer. I’d be more worried on why so late, messing with staff wages and payments is no no and a sign of problems.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Its called the real world and cashflow is the killer for any business.
    The bosses may have had a contingency a few years ago but …just in case none of you guys have noticed the last 2 years have been a bit tough and that has probably been and gone months ago.
    I suppose the boss could instead make half the staff redundant- that would help cash flow

project
    Free Member

The thing is theyre both nice people and think beause the boss is having trouble they should understand,and keep quiet.

As im self employed when 2 companies didnt pay for months i just went to them both at a busy time, and sat in reception, loudly pointing out they dont pay their bills,to anyone who walked in, in both cases got the money within 10 minutes.

totalshell

its the only way project.. i ve done it swallowed pride and bit the bullet.. knocked on the door and being persistant tend to get all of small amounts and an offer of a payment plan on larger amounts.. no fun though for a lot at the moment with contractors not getting paid so subbies still waiting for thier cash months down the line.. and it ll only get worse as we move into the new year with many large operators laying off 100’s ( british gas losing 650 in Feb)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I suppose the boss could instead make half the staff redundant- that would help cash flow

Gawd bless those bosses who make sacrifices for the workers they have not paid 🙄

Dark-Side

Do they work for bike shops that are feeling the pinch due to people using their shop as a dressing room then buggering off and buying online?

mrmo
    Free Member

I would be looking for a new job if at all possible, not being paid suggests cash flow problems, and i would rather not be there when they go tits up,

stumpyjon

Time to get out, might as well start looking now before they’re out on their ear. Wages is the last thing any half decent company plays fast and loose with, if they do see it as a deferable expenditure ythey need to leave anyway.

I’m pretty loyal to my employers but as soon as the (main) reason for me there is threatened all bets are off. No second chances from me in that situation.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m still waiting to get paid for the work I did 20 months ago…

Now have a high court judgement against them and the bailiffs are on their way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do they work for bike shops that are feeling the pinch due to people using their shop as a dressing room then buggering off and buying online?

More than likely. They’d probbly be better off getting jobs with online retailers instead….

project
    Free Member

They both work for maintance companies, doing long hours, and being told they need to keep the company afloat.

As for bike shops there will be a big loss of the independants, due to the poorw eather the last few weeks and peeps not buying their first bike or a repalcement, online is ok for parts, but who buys a bike online.

Del

no excuse. pay up or manage any failure to pay by covering any losses incurred by employees by late payment. f**in rude. there is only ONE obligation of an employer above all else which is to pay for time served.

Pook

email me. been in that situation, know the outcome.

Pook

BTW, lot of sense talked above, also a lot of bollocks.

like I say, email me for some advice.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Got the T shirt from both camps, as an employee no money come thursday , boss made it clear that until the main subcontractor paid up he was up shits street,ride with me or join the creditors list, liked the guy, rode with him , everything turned out ok, As an employer in early days of starting up , banks very cautious of lending even against blue chip companies debts, had to borrow off family and others to pay wages to those who wouldn`t stretch a day or two.Not a nice position but always knew the money was there to pay everyone.To me its judge the employer and decide if you want to back him,seeing your arse or refusing to work will only make matters worse and could easily turn a mole hill into a mountain.

SBrock
    Free Member

See, they ought to have contingency plans in place for such eventualities

What a ridiculous comment!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why’s it a ‘ridiculous comment’?

So, is having yer own contingency plans in place for such an eventuality ‘ridiculous’ then, is it?

grantway
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

So, is having yer own contingency plans in place for such an eventuality ‘ridiculous’ then, is it?

What do you think it is a Bank?

grantway
    Free Member

Sounds like your firm has Cash Flow problems
    Best thing is to approach the Directors of the company
    and raise your concerns

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What do you think it is a Bank?

What is? 😕

I’m on about having a bit put by for ’emergencies’. Rather than leaving yer finances stretched to the limit all the time, have a little in reserve. Or have a suitable overdraft facility, or something like that.

Would then mean yer own immediate money issues are sorted at least, and you don’t have to worry so much about paying your own bills cos you ain’t bin paid.

Not saying the not being paid by yer employer is right; it’s not. It’s about anticipating potential problems, and being prepared for them as much as you can.

AKA, Common Sense.

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s a bank?

Rhyming slang? 🙄 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A tank?

I’ve noticed I’m running low on sugar. Rather than leaving it and then running out when I want to make a cuppa, I’ll nip out in a bit and get some more. That way, when I do run out, I’ll be covered.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve noticed I’m running low on sugar. Rather than leaving it and then running out when I want to make a cuppa, I’ll nip out in a bit and get some more. That way, when I do run out, I’ll be covered.

What do you do when you haven’t got any money and your salary is late in the bank and it’s the kettle that needs repairing to make the cuppa?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I guess thats the private sector for you, enjoy.

SBrock
    Free Member

Do you not realise the majority of households in this country are pushed to the limit as it is without putting some by on the premise their employers might not pay them on time….utter tosh!

The majority of families in this country are struggling to make ends meet with rising fuel, utility, food costs etc etc

SBrock
    Free Member

And why can’t you, as an employees, rely on being paid promptly!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Some really interesting views here- I have worked for big companies and can see how that engenders the ‘ I have a right to be paid on time’ etc view but for the last year I have been working alongside a small company.

I know for a fact that the owner hasnt paid his mortgage for the last 2 months, has had to reduce his food bills massively etc and has the bank or other creditors on the phone EVERY day- I have seen the stress this has put him and his family under first hand. Howevver I know he tries to pay the staff first but what if there isnt enough money to physically pay- how do you think it will go down if some plonker sits in reception shouting his mouth off??

There are advantages of working for smaller companies- such as flexibility of time etc etc but the current financial meltdown does put you more at risk because of cashflow so I would suggest they speak to the boss and see what the issues are and see what can be done- it may be that they can buy into the business if the timing is right and see what its like on the other side of the fence 😉

project
    Free Member

but what if there isnt enough money to physically pay- how do you think it will go down if some plonker sits in reception shouting his mouth off??

One was a large multi million pound hotel chain, and the othr a weel to do restraunt, and im not a plonker, just wanted paying for the materials i had bought and the work done.

One company failing has a negative effect on other lower down comapnies, if you owe money to the bank, they will send you letters and and bank charges, , even if you cant pay them, same difference as a company not paying its staff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So your boss is late paying you your wages.’ is closed to new replies.