Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So you wait 5 years for a place in the London Marathon………
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

I was tempted to try for an official STW scored rant but I’m lacking the motivation, or the ‘rage’, for that.

After applying for five years to get a place in the London marathon, yes I appreciate other runs of 26.2 miles are available, I finaly got a place for 2012, yay! I started introducing short runs into my training and life was good.

Until, the point where I introduced some threshold runs, albeit only 10 minutes at a time, I felt a ache/tightness on the inside of my calf which when I next ran had managed to turn into a sharp pain. Not to worry I have plenty of time, so for the next five weeks I kept up lots of aerobic activity, cycling and cross training, but stayed off running completely.

Christmas comes, fantastic break, can’t feel any issues with my leg during short jogs at 9Km/h, training plan ready, all is right with the world.

Week one: after three short (20mins max) easy (max 10Km/h) runs, the leg is as bad as November. Deferral here I come. Not looking for sympathy, as these things happen, just letting it all go.

Matt

oddjob
    Free Member

Running’s no good for anyone IMHO

Get well soon

theteaboy
    Free Member

Unlucky

What did the physio say?

matt_bl
    Free Member

the teaboy – Member
    Unlucky

What did the physio say?

Appointment’s today hopefully, but any lay-off more than 1 week and I won’t be able to acheive what I want to at London.

Matt

wwaswas

any lay-off more than 1 week and I won’t be able to acheive what I want to at London

after 5 years I think I’d be tempted to take an ‘well if I can get round in less than n hours and enjoy the atmosphere it’ll be great’ attitude.

it’s not the sort of race you’re going to get a pb in really, is it?

surfer
    Free Member

It is, its a fast course I recall (ran it in 96)

Its alsmost 14 weeks away, a week or so off now wont cause you too much problem. If you continue to train hard (non running) you wont lose any aerobic fitness.
    Is the pain on the inside of the shin? is it very tender to touch?

matt_bl
    Free Member

surfer – Member

It is, its a fast course I recall (ran it in 96)

Its alsmost 14 weeks away, a week or so off now wont cause you too much problem. If you continue to train hard (non running) you wont lose any aerobic fitness.
    Is the pain on the inside of the shin? is it very tender to touch?

That’s the annoying thing, you have to press quite firmly, just below the bulge of the calf, behind the bone to feel anything, but any running and I’m limping like I’ve been shot.

Matt

surfer
    Free Member

Its sounds like (I am not a physio) posterior shin splints and it usually becomes tender before it becomes sore to run on which is not great news. I have suffered with this on and off for years and its very common amongst runners building up their mileage/training/speed.
    I would recommend you do the following.
    Only train on grass or soft surfaces, as even as possible.
    Stretch your lower legs after your run. Before your run walk/jog very slowly to warm up.
    If you can take them take Ibruprofen but most importantly ice the area as close to where it is tender as you can, do this every couple of hours if possible.
    Make sure your shoes arent old/worn excessivly, replace them if this is the case.
    If it continues to be painfull unfortunately you will need to stop running as it will only clear up with rest and if you dont it will become increasingly painful and may turn into a stress fracture (I have experience of this!!)

As I said I am not a physio but i have experienced what sounds similar so hopefully some of that helps and good luck with your physio today

theteaboy
    Free Member

Appointment’s today hopefully, but any lay-off more than 1 week and I won’t be able to acheive what I want to at London.

A couple of weeks won’t make much difference. You’ll be able to maintain fitness and even build more depending on what you’ve been doing so far by doing bike intervals etc.

I was off injured for 4 of the 8 weeks before a 10k last year and still went a minute quicker than my prevous pb (36min).

Edit: don’t just rest and run on it – the symptoms might ease but you need to address the cause. Physio will check your biomechanics and treat accordingly. Internet diagnosis is really dangerous with this stuff!

surfer
    Free Member

Internet diagnosis is really dangerous with this stuff!

I dont agree we are not talking about making life or death decisions here but as the injured party you will be more motivated than a person who will see you for 30 minutes amongst 10 other people that day.
    There is a huge amount of information online now and your physio may or may not give you great information as IMO their quality and comitmment varis.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I dont agree we are not talking about making life or death decisions here but as the injured party you will be more motivated than a person who will see you for 30 minutes amongst 10 other people.
    There is a huge amount of information online now and your physio may or may not give you great information as IMO their quality and comitmment varis.

Obviously not life and death but pretty serious in the context of matt getting to London.

After last year’s injury I completely disagree:

I developed left shin pain running flat out on a road descent to the finish of a 10mile road race. 3 days later I was in pain walking and couldn’t run a step.

Google diagnosis suggested shin splints or, worst-case, stress fracture. Physio (http://www.carnegiesportsphysiotherapyclinic.co.uk/theteam/graeme-everard-mcsp-hpc) took 5 minutes to diagnose a tight muscle in my back which was limiting the movement in my right hip so the impact was transferring into the shin on my other leg. A set of exercises done for 10 mins twice per day and I’m running better than ever.

Without him I’d still be icing and resting.

djglover
    Free Member

I’m in training for the 3 peaks fell race. I Foam roller, RICE and ibroprofen gel every day at the first sign of a twinge, I’ve been blighted by running injurys over the last 3 years. Now up to 45 miles a week, did 20 yesterday and all looking good.

Look at your style and focus on that until adding any speedwork.

surfer
    Free Member

Google diagnosis suggested shin splints or, worst-case, stress fracture. Physio

Then I would question what you were putting into Google to get it so wrong.
    A good physio is great and I have had experience of both. Hopefully he will meet a good one.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Post physio update:

The diagnosis is: strain to the Soleus muscle, with potentially some scar tissue remaining from the injury in November.

A little manipulation and ultra-sound and it eased noticeably. This morning the ‘tenderness’ has almost gone, but obviously I haven’t tried running which almost the only thing that causes pain.

The marathon is still on, but I guess that will depend on how quick the healing process is.

Matt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So you wait 5 years for a place in the London Marathon………’ is closed to new replies.