Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • So you think you know about Scotland?
  • geoffj

Scotland for many English people is no more than a place that prints funny sterling notes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/28/england-scotland-north-south-divide

I’m loving question and answer 9 8)

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

As a lapsed Scotsman I don’t understand the obsession an overwhelming number of Scots seem to have with whether or not people know anything about or care about the country. Interest has to be earned, it is not a right or a privilege.

The whole independence thing, well it boils my piss.I have yet to hear a coherent or positive argument in its favour – the arguments I have heard have been based on fairy tales, prejudices and negative sentiments.

The thing about the Whingeing Scots is that unless they are careful they will annoy the English, who will not unreasonably cut the country loose – and then the People’s Republic north of the Border really will be in dire straits. And I wouldn’t blame the English for doing it for one second.

All that said, there is some nice scenery.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The only one I ‘knew’ the answer to was number 3, as I know the Stephenson was an Englishman and the other two Scots, but only cos I like old engineering stuffs and that. 😳

The others, I can honestly say, are about subjects which fall outside of my personal sphere of inertest. Scottish history has never bin of much significance to me, as a Londoner, because my cultural experiences and references come from anywhere but Scotland really. That’s not to say Scotland isn’t ‘important’, but tbh stuff like Spanish, Asian, West Indian and African cultures have more visible influence on life down here. I am aware that the work of figures such as Alexander Graham Bell, John Logie Baird and Alexander Fleming have made an incredible impact on the lives of people here and globally, as has the work of the great Kenny Dalglish, but it’s rare that such great figures are recognised as Scots, more often ‘British’.

I think Scotland should be recognised in terms of the incredibly disproportionate amount of great people, ideas, inventions and movements, far more than it currently. is. As an Englishman, I should not be so ignorant of the significance of a country which is in Union with my own, and one I’ve never even visited. Indeed, many of my friends have never visited Scotland, yet have been to all corners of the Earth.

Scotland does need to work on a few things though, such as parochial and sectarian attitudes and that, cos that puts people off visiting, tbh. I’ve known a fair few people who’ve visited and bin abused by Scottish people, and even Scottish friends of mine have spoken about the animosity towards the English. Granted this is the behaviour of a minority, but it’s quite off-putting.

And I feel Scotland needs to work on it’s image a bit more; the tartan and bagpipes, whilst obviously part of Scotland’s culture and that, are a bit outdated and twee now really. I mean, if I think of Scottish music for example, I can’t get much past Wet Wet Wet, The Proclaimers and Sheena Easton. That’s not good, is it? 😐

Oh and sort out your flipping weather. It’s crap.

onehundredthidiot

wwmtbr.

I think you may need to change that argument slightly from “overwhelming” to “small number of gobby”. As we’ve been annoying the English for nigh on…. erm….most of recorded history. Don’t you think someone “dahn sarf” would have added it all up and made a decision?

inbred853

When I think of Engand and the English, these are the things that spring to mind,

Bowler Hats
    Morris Dancing
    BNP
    EDL
    Ignorance
    Arrogance

As a Scot who has lived both in the North and South of England, I would in my personal experiances not live doon sooth as it seemed to be populated on the whole by educated idiots or just idiots.
    To be honest I found it more akin to some places that I have lived in the US, where a great majority of the population had never been outside of their state and based their opinions on the what the TV and Press told them.
    Just my tuppence worth, I now live in Wales.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s quite a well written article (though I think his choice questions is suspect). I think it puts into perspective the Scottish “chip”. However, it misses one fundamental change – Scotland has be one a more confident and forward looking place since devolution. I reckon that not being able to blame “the English” for all of our woes has helped and for this reason, as much as any other, I’ll happily support a move to(wards) full independence.

PS – I have a policy of completely ignoring all posts by Elfinsafety, but on this occasion I would like to put down a marker as almost completely agreeing with his comments above.

stevomcd
    Free Member

And I feel Scotland needs to work on it’s image a bit more; the tartan and bagpipes, whilst obviously part of Scotland’s culture and that, are a bit outdated and twee now really. I mean, if I think of Scottish music for example, I can’t get much past Wet Wet Wet, The Proclaimers and Sheena Easton. That’s not good, is it?

For some more recent examples that have had a minor impact, Franz Ferdinand and Snow Patrol. Heard of those? Plenty others. And The Proclaimers are awesome. 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I lived in Lincoln for a wee while a number of years ago. My perception of the majority of english people is based upon my experiences of that which is probably quite harsh (no necked, chinless inbreeds with a penchant for the banjo). 😉

igm

Scotland’s culture and that, are a bit outdated and twee now really

Red london buses, bowler hats, jellied eels, pearly kings and queens and union jacks – right back atcha southern man 😉

All culture is twee and don’t underestimate the pulling power of a kilt – worked on my wife anyway.

Of course as a another lapsed Scot (Yorkshire these last 19 years) I tend to think of Scots culture in terms of RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Robert Burns, Iain (M) Banks, Ian Rankin etc. Telford, Watt, Kelvin, Baird, Dunlop etc. Adam-Smith and the general gang who invented economics.

And don’t forget who invented bicycles – you owe us mtb types 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Snow Patrol is pushing it a little and you forgot Susan Boyle 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What’s EDL?

grum
    Free Member

I didn’t know that many, and I spend a lot of time in Scotland – not sure how many Scottish people would know half of them either.

As an Englishman, I should not be so ignorant of the significance of a country which is in Union with my own, and one I’ve never even visited. Indeed, many of my friends have never visited Scotland, yet have been to all corners of the Earth.

See, I find this really bizarre – people are so keen to travel the world but there are amazing places right on their doorstep they never bother with.

I love Scotland, go there for a trip several times a year – I do agree the tourism industry in Scotland can be a bit cliched and cheesy though (not that this doesn’t happen elsewhere too – I know how touchy Scots are 🙂 )

Scottish country pubs are in general not up to the standard of English ones IME. Not as much good beer and weird decor/atmosphere in quite a few of them. I’m sure this will upset some but that’s how I find it. Music-wise it’s nice that there is still a popular folk music tradition in Scotland, even if the standard bagpipes are an assault on the ears. The smaller ones are nice though.

igm

Ahh grumm, good beer. One of the reasons I now live in Yorkshire.

thegman67

What about AC/DC. The young brothers from Glasgow Bon Scott from Kirrimuir

Northwind

That Biffy Clyro aren’t just scottish, they’re incredibly scottish. Ginger and pasty and everything.

Have to say, I’m doing sufficiently badly in the test that I’m not going to finish it, just in case I get deported.

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Jimmy Krankie was Scottish…….Nuff said

Woody
    Free Member

What a ridiculous set of questions, set by a smart-arsed pillock. 🙄

trailmonkey

When I think of Engand and the English, these are the things that spring to mind,

Bowler Hats
    Morris Dancing
    BNP
    EDL
    Ignorance
    Arrogance

stw bulb end of the week.

nich3000
    Free Member

Didn’t really have a clue about any of the questions and I have lived there all my life 😯 Well, til 3 yrs ago when I was kidnapped and relocated to deepest darkest Hertfordshire. How many Scots would know the answers???

Find England quite Olde Worlde. “You can’t walk there and you can’t launch your kayak on that river” and buying a house is a nightmare! All that “Ooh, I changed my mind” malarkey and not even putting a sign board up. What’s that about? And why can’t I buy ice-cream from Sainsbury’s at 9pm on a Sunday night?!? But I’m finding the little green footpath signs very useful. Don’t have those in Scotlandshire. But really, it’s all the same island isn’t it and we all ought to be a little less territorial.

And if you haven’t been to Scotland, take your bike there soon, it’s fab 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

The thought of independence terrifes me. What’s wrong with the current system? I’d like to think that if it comes to a vote people will come to their senses.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trailmonkey, +many.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can sit by the banks of a loch while the rain is pouring & still smile (like I did most of last week, by Loch Carron)
    I wish I was Scottish, living there.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jimmy Krankie was Scottish…….Nuff said

Yeah but they were man and wife, but she was dressed up as a little boy. 😯

Disturbing. 😐

Fandabby what? More than wrong….

druidh
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I wish I was Scottish, living there.

Move up and live here fella – then you are Scottish.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In 2003, “Wee Jimmy Krankie” was voted “The Most Scottish Person In The World” by the readers of The Glasgow Herald.

😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

One day Druidh, one day.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Inbred853 – Member

Bowler Hats
    Morris Dancing
    BNP
    EDL
    Ignorance
    Arrogance

As a Scot who has lived both in the North and South of England, I would in my personal experiances not live doon sooth as it seemed to be populated on the whole by educated idiots or just idiots.
    To be honest I found it more akin to some places that I have lived in the US, where a great majority of the population had never been outside of their state and based their opinions on the what the TV and Press told them.
    Just my tuppence worth, I now live in Wales.

This has to get the vote for ignorant narrow minded tool of the month surely?

Some awesome irony and hypocrisy in one post.

themountaingoat
    Free Member

What’s EDL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Defence_League

Basically a load of plonkers.

duckman

Got them all right 😀 but then I am a history teacher….and Scottish.

Cougar

I knew one (odd one out) and had an educated guess at another two (Northernmost town and memorials). Other than that, no idea, but that’s less because “I don’t know anything about Scotland” and more that they’re questions outside of the sort of thing I’d know about anywhere.

As for Scotland’s ‘image’, we’ve no room to talk as England’s ‘image’ is essentially London.

duckman

EDL looks like a better funded,less ginger settlerwatch.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Forgot about them, perhaps Inbed853 is a member.

mcboo
    Free Member

Inbread853 you are a total ball-sack

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No hang on right, because look:

I would in my personal experiances not live doon sooth as it seemed to be populated on the whole by educated idiots or just idiots.

I live in the South and I am in fact a complete idiot. And so is my wife.

But Elfin you’re not even married!

I rest my case! 😀

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

The thing about the Whingeing Scots is that unless they are careful they will annoy the English, who will not unreasonably cut the country loose – and then the People’s Republic north of the Border really will be in dire straits. And I wouldn’t blame the English for doing it for one second.

Please feel free – you could enact it in the same legislation you use to leave the European Union!

mcboo
    Free Member

I bloody love livng down South (I may have mentioned that), and I also like visiting my ancestors in Perthsire. Inbred is the type of Scot that keeps me down here. That and the weather.

trailmonkey

i wouldn’t worry too much about inbred853, i’ve been reliably informed on this forum that anti anglo bigotry does not actually exist so he must merely be some kind of mass hallucination that we’re all experiencing.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Rees-Mogg

We all wear Kilts and chase haggis round hill you lot are all like this.

Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😆

trailmonkey

aaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh, busted.

we are in fact all like william rees mogg – tally ho.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

To be fair i think the media have a lot to answer for!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘So you think you know about Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.