Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • So yesterday I decided that I would give up Tramadol today…
  • Karinofnine

and yesterday it seemed like a very good plan, today, with no Tramadol, it doesn’t seem like such a good idea 🙁

I didn’t realise how much pain I actually still have, plus I feel very dizzy and disorientated and shivery yuk I wonder how long this will last?

rossi46
    Free Member

Dont go cold turkey, just cut them out one at a time until youre on none.
    They gave me some ‘interesting’ hallucinations when i was on em. I replaced them with Solphadol- go see your doctor….

ratherbeintobago

Did you just stop it completely? How long have you been on them for? If it’s been a while, I’d guess it’s better to taper the dose rather than stop suddenly – it works (to an extent) on similar pathways to SSRI/SNRI antidepressants, and stopping them suddenly can cause the symptoms you describe.

Andy

<rant>

Tramadol = devil’s drug, not a great analgesic, and makes the elderly go bonkers.

Edit – Co-tramacet possibly even more ill-conceived – a subtherapeutic dose of paracetamol with a subtherapeutic dose of tramadol. Good effort, Janssen-Cilag!

</rant>

wrightyson
    Free Member

My best mate was on it for a coupla yrs for arthritis. Only 34 at the time, wrecked his marriage basically because it just changed him! After finally getting his arthritis meds sorted he got rid of the tram for good!! Hes in a lot better place now!

Karinofnine

I have one one, and it’s a capsule so I can’t cut it in half. I will keep it for Monday so if I’m still feeling like this I will take it and be able to get to work. When I first started taking them they gave me hallucinations but ok now, some other side effects though. I got off painkillers completely but had to go back to work as they no longer support employees who have had an operation (despite their ‘commitment to staff welfare’) so had to go back on strong pills. Fed up with taking them now – time to get better – hence the cold turkey. If I can’t cope I will go and ask for something else. Was hoping to manage with paracetamol and then nothing.

Thanks for your replies. I do feel very strange!

emsz
    Free Member

Like others have said, take it steady, doing cold turkey on v strong drugs is never a good idea, mum was taking citalopram for a bit a while ago for stress, and that was bad enough.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah some strong prescription drugs are harder to come off than stuff like Heroin, as the chemical dependancy is much greater. The ones which have an effect on the brain, such as Citalopram that Emsz mentions, are even worse. Tapering the dosage off is the best way to come off them. can your doctor not prescribe you a weaker dosage?

Hope you get better soon Karin. It must be horrible to suffer that much pain for so long. 🙁

Karinofnine

Thanks Elf. It IS finally easing, the operation was a success, it’s just that returning to work was very difficult. Should be back to normal by mid January.

Funny ol’ world ain’t it? Years ago I would have paid good money for a buzz like this, now I f***kin’ hate it! I want my own head back, I like being me, it’s fun.

racefaceec90

Karinofnine good luck to you.

singletrackmind

Had Trams after my Hernia repair . Proper freaky drug , had to stop taking them for my own well being .
    Try tag teamimg Ibuprofen and Paracetomol instead , or get your GP to offer you something else .
    Everyone one i know who has taken them didnt like the side effects .
    Hope you get sorted soon , long term pain relief and being generally broken is rubbish frankly .

johnners
    Free Member

What elfin said – have a chat with your doc and tell them you want to come off it, and ask how they can help you do it. It sounds like you’re doing it the hard way, there may be a better chance of success with a bit of help.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Karin – much sympathy and a virtual hug coming your way. It is really hard suffering from long term pain – both mentally and physically (and if you’re anything like me you’ll be pushing it a bit as you’d prefer to be ‘doing’, but in the long run, that isn’t good). Have you got someone nearby that can help with practicalities?

On a more practical note, can your dr / hospital refer you to a pain management clinic? And does your workplace offer access to an Occupational Health person (I used one before re recovery and managing returning to work and they were great).

If you’re able to come out on Elf’s London Pootle next weekend, it would be lovely to meet you. I’ll definately only be up for pootling after dealing with work stuff all week, so if you fancy coming along for a saunter at the back it would be great to have some company 🙂

Take care x

Karinofnine

In true Karinofnine style I left the remaining capsules at work 🙂

I haven’t got a local gp, wouldn’t be able to get an appointment today anyway, and no way am I sitting around in a walk in centre – even if I could drive the car to get there.

It’s only a feeling, it will pass, just need to buckle up and ride it out.

I hope I will be able to manage the pain when I go back to work on Monday. The alternative seems to be NSAIDs, with the attendant risk of strokes and heart attack, which I don’t fancy really.

Karinofnine

Thanks Sue W. Hug much appreciated. Yes, I’ll be out next Saturday, ’twill be brilliant to meet you.

Um yes, actually, there are lots of people who would help me, if only I could bring myself to ask them. I don’t do asking for help. 😳

Surgeon and physio agree that, to an an extent, my motivation is a good thing, they usually have to deal with patients who will not rehabilitate, with me they’ve had to try to stop me 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What Karin is not telling us though is that she’s a right stubborn cah who refuses to accept she has to rest up, and will insist on getting back to normal asap, when most folk would lie there moaning and taking loads of time off work.

Tremendous determination and fighting spirit, and if more people were like her, this country woon’t be in such a mess as it is now.

She is a nutter though, I’m sorry but it has to be said. 🙂

Northwind

Slow reduction will work much better… One in the morning to get you functioning was how I went- not sure if the pain actually reduced through the day but I was much more able to deal with it once I was up and acting than I was when i was trying to get going.

emsz
    Free Member

Karin, how are you doing, still feeling ok?

grantway
    Free Member

Why you telling us were not your Doctor !

Karinofnine

Grantway, for some support, some conversation, some fun, some communication with other humans – that kind of thing.

Emsz, getting better as the day goes on, thank you for asking. Just been out with the dog, amazing evening, full moon and clear skies here. Lovely.

soops
    Free Member

I was on them 9 years ago for 2 years and had to stop taking them as it changed me. Went cold turkey and felt better within 4-5 days, although the pain in my foot started to come back. I don’t take anything now for the pain just try and live with it.
    I know how you feel.
    Good luck

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tramadol, IE prison currency! Lots of bullying in jail for them.

Kevevs
    Free Member

sounds a bit rubbish Karin.

Um yes, actually, there are lots of people who would help me, if only I could bring myself to ask them. I don’t do asking for help.

sometimes you need other people. take care, and go out ride bikes with Elf and Sue. 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    Grantway, for some support, some conversation, some fun, some communication with other humans – that kind of thing.

This site is full of none brainers people whom seem to can’t tie there own shoe laces

IE My girlfriends left me what should i do ?
    My friends taken an overdose I know I post on here and find out who to call?
    I feel suicidal. I know i’ll ask on here ?

Good god can’t you lot think for yourselves! Or is this a younger generation problem?

I now have an headache errrr Hammer or paracetamol. I know i’ll Face Book 🙄

maxray
    Free Member

Had a beer have we grantaway? 😛

beej

This site is full of none brainers people whom seem to can’t tie there own shoe laces

Nope, it’s just too easy.

deviant
    Free Member

DR gave me Tramadol last year for a shoulder injury, didnt rate it as an analgesic but as a legal way to feel stoned/high it was quite pleasant.

I found taking 2 tablets in the morning on an empty stomach would put me in a very ‘relaxed’ mood until about mid afternoon….couldnt really see any drawbacks provided things dont get silly, never took more than 4 a day….the one time i tried this it dropped my blood pressure too low and i came over faint and clammy for a while.

Didnt suffer with constipation like Codeine gives me, never felt nauseous like some opiates can make people….truth be told i was probably less of a grouch during the 3-4 months i took them!

As the OP said, cold turkey isnt pleasant….they are an opiate (synthetic) but an opiate nonetheless and i had a few days afterwards with headaches and cold/flu symptoms….withdrawal basically, nice.

deviant
    Free Member

*double post*

scaredypants

truth be told i was probably less of a grouch during the 3-4 months i took them!

not just an opioid – does some sort of “antidepressanty” things too

how are you today Ko9 ?

Sandwich

Try one every other day, then one every three days if you can’t get a smaller dose. This was how I cut out the last 10mg of Citalopram recently. It still wasn’t pleasant mind but more manageable than cold turkey.
    Good luck with it though. I can recommend the paracetamol and ibuprofen regime for pain management short term. The constipation isn’t much fun though long term.
    How about trying acupuncture as an aid to withdrawal and for pain management?

teasel
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘So yesterday I decided that I would give up Tramadol today…’ is closed to new replies.