Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So, whose pre-ordered a Cotic Solaris then?
  • bol

Has anyone ore-ordered one? I’m still not quite decided. I loved my soda and I guess it would be very similar to ride, but it’d be used mainly for faster xc riding and a bit of leisurely racing than trailcentres, so I’m still wondering about going for something a bit lighter and racier.

If you’ve chosen a Solaris over all the other 29er hardtails out there at the moment, what was the decider in going for the Cotic?

metalheart
    Free Member

Like you I’m still not quite decided.

Strangely I was thinking I was going to go reasonably robust (well mainly Flow HH’s) to limit the chance of the wheels spontaneously exploding…

To be honest I suspect when the studio shots hit the website it’ll probably make my mind up. Colour choice is a pain too…

Seen as I’ve jumped the gun and got a pair of those cheap RS Rebas off on-one I need a 44mm head tube now!

I demo’d a Nicolai AC29er which I found a little too steep, the Solaris would appear to have similar HA’s to a soul so that sounds good to me. Oh and I’m a Cotic fanboi I guess.

bol

Yeh, I guess I’m a bit of a Cotic fanboi too. This will be my third if I go for it. Like you, I’m struggling with colour choice. I like them both, but I usually tend to go for greys and blacks, so both a relatively larey.

Looking at the geometry it certainly isn’t going to be too steep. It’s a good degree or more slacker than an On One or a Niner.

I’m wondering whether my real reason for hesitation (apart from also being seduced by the On One Lurcher), is that I think I might find myself in a position where a Cotic hardtail stops me wanting to ride my full suss trail bike. I’ve been there before.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ahem, this would be my third too…. 😳

I guess the Cotic shipping in what, 5 weeks, might have an influence on matters. :mrgreen:

Edit: well, one of the reasons I demo’d the AC was that I don’t have a full sus anymore. A full sus would probably be a more sensible purchase…

Northwind

I’m tempted, being a fanboi as well (it’d be my 4th). But tbh my 29er itch is for a light racy bike so probably not steel.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Metalheart said
    “Seen as I’ve jumped the gun and got a pair of those cheap RS Rebas off on-one I need a 44mm head tube now!”

Off cotic site,
    44mm standard head tube designed with external bottom cup for taper steerer compatiblity and zero stack top cup for minimal stack height.

Or am I missing something ot you ment something else?

metalheart
    Free Member

Rob, what I mean is that if I were to change my mind I’d have to find another frame that allowed use of the forks…

These will fit the Solaris. I checked with Cotic beforehand.

rOcKeTdOg

Was tempted until Sam turned up with the Buzzard

ahwiles
    Free Member

want one,

but i’m not sure 2012 is the best year ever to spend the thick end of £1000 on a new frame + fork + pair of wheels.

But i do like the idea of being able to fit an angleset, and some short forks. so if i see a cheapish pair of nice forks in the next few weeks then i might do something silly…

metalheart
    Free Member

Well I’ve made me mind up.

Just been speaking to my purveyor of fine bike bits and he has some choice parts available which are only slightly used so that’s the wheels, bars, stem, pedals, etc., sorted.

Put that what I just happen to have ‘lying about’, you know the brand new set of xt mechs and shifter I bought of merlin cheap at least a year back, this off that, etc., I think I’m just about good to go.

Just waiting on the studio shots but I suspect that I’ll go for orange (as I’ve wanted an orange bike for years).

Can anyone recommend a steer tube cutter as I fancy giving this a go as a self build…

OCB
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a steer tube cutter as I fancy giving this a go as a self build…

A new, fine toothed hacksaw [blade], and a dab of patience always works for me.

… an’ that’s not being facetious either 😉 , I really do only draw a straight line, check it two or three times just to make absolutely sure, then cut it. If it’s a little off, a good quality file will sort it out – just make a couple of passes at a time, then re-check it – and repeat as required (if required).

I cut the steerer on my new Swift at lunchtime yesterday, doing exactly that (and they were in the bike at the time).

I have seen a slip-over kinda jig arrangement online somewhere in the past – about £20 – £30 maybe, which will help with getting it straight (but you’ll still need to cut the steerer). Something like a [plumbing] pipe-cutter would be a good idea, but I don’t think I’ve seen one – and a plumbing one won’t go through steel.

As an alternative, if you are careful enough, what about those very thin cutting discs in an angle grinder – they are designed for cutting stainless plate and are very good – they are more expensive than the farm-supplies type thicker cutting discs, and I can easily see why, they are 100x ‘better’ discs for fine work, as they give considerably more control over the cut.

(I went for a Swift as I already have a healthy Singular collection on the go, plus I have a (perhaps irrational) ‘thing’ against that wishbone back end).

bol

It’s funny, the wishbone back end is one of the things I love about Cotics. It’s so neat and simple.

My LBS has just put the order in on my behalf. XL in orange. Rather excited now. My forks are white, but I think everything else had better be black. I’m normally a bit conservative with my bike colours.

I’ve been wading through the minefield that is modern headset specifications, and I think I’ve just about worked out the three bits I need from Hope. I’m liking their reducer crown idea for straight forks.

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh no how terribly common these orange ones are going to be… 😉

Just as well mine will be the tiddler medium.

Headset, hubs and brakes are all Hope.

Forks are black. The hubs are red (not my choice, unless I buy new new ones) but should tie in with grip clamps and the fork/seat pin/rim decnals (possibly).

My main concern is that I only have a 32 tooth cassette. Just as well I have a 22 grannie ring…

I must admit I’m feeling a little excited myself now !

OCB what a numpty I am. I only work next to an ex heating engineer. If he doesn’t still have one he might be able to ‘borrow’ one for me 😀 it would be cheaper than buying a proper hacksaw and file… 😳

Edit: steerer looks alloy to me though.

bol

I think you’ll be alright with a granny up front. I’ve got 2×10 chainsets and have really noticed the difference in gearing moving to 29″. I think I’m going to go for 39/26 chainrings with an 11-36 cassette, which should feel about the same as the 42/28 on my old 26er. I think.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a demo on an Nic AC29er, I was in the grannie a lot… And i think that was a 36 cassette, (don’t know what was up front) losing four teeth means man up time for me!

The solaris probably isnt going to weigh in much/any lighter with my spec.

Mebbe I’ll need to swap the 10 speed off the soda!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m struggling too. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but its only one of a few that have taken a liking to. Its this, a cheaper vassago (although not by the time I’ve had it shipped) and the gas29 stambek, which is basically the same price.

bol

Scienceofficer, I must admit that resale value had a bit to do with my decision. Souls seem to hold their money much better than a lot of similar but more obscure frames, or the carbon alternatives.

the_lecht_rocks

metalheart – i have a tube cutter you can use – proper job like 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Cheers Simon. That’ll make it a selfbuild then. Esp as dipper will probably be back offshore come mid Feb anyway…

:mrgreen:

metalheart
    Free Member

The Solaris production shot has just been put up on Flickr…

[/url] DSC_7229 by CoticLtd, on Flickr[/img]

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Nice and they put a proper fork on it too 😀

bol

Pretty. How long is that stem though? The spec recommends a minimum of 70mm for an XL, but that can’t be more than 50mm. Tempted to try shorter now.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ll be going for around 60mm myself (after discussion with Paul).

And how close is the front mech…?

bol

Yes it is a bit close isn’t it. It’s right what they say about the X0 hight mount though – waffer thin band. I’ve got one on my RIP and will definitely take the same route on the Solaris.

I think I might end up with a 60mm stem too, but I’d better give the shiny new 70mm Haven a try first 🙁

patcouser
    Free Member

I think I need a Solaris _and_ Yelli Screamy
    (trading in the Inbred and Mamasita)

ojom
    Free Member

Might get one myself. Been REALLY enjoying a Karate Monkey and starting to see the benefits of the bigger wheel. Although i might stick with that as it is really nice anyway,

bol

My LBS tells me they’re expecting my frame tomorrow (although they are ever the optimists. Would be the one weekend in ages that I’m not going to be about. Build Monday with any luck.

18bikes

We collected today, we’ve got our demo bike to build up, plus two frames for stock. They look really nice in the flesh, especially as they are the two best colours Cotic have done

We should get the demo bike built up next week, if anyone’s interested drop us a line

Matt

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So, whose pre-ordered a Cotic Solaris then?’ is closed to new replies.