Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So whose ordered their new Scandal 29er?
  • scud
    Free Member

Morning all.

Whose ordered their new Scandal 29er? as anyone actually seen a pic with the graphics as yet?

I ordered a set of the 120mm Reba’s that On-One had for the bargain £299 price and they are sat shining in the corner of the kitchen awaiting the frame, so it wrong that i’m getting a bit excited like a kid at xmas!?

Apparently the frames aren’t going to be with On-One til 5th Dec now though.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Yip 19.5 black ano

Not seen a pic yet. I have a shiny new niner carbon fork waiting to go on it once it arrives.

I had hoped to have the frame for the weekend, they have taken the cash so assumed they were ready for dispatch.

scud
    Free Member

Same here really, I was told that they would be delivered 1st or 2nd of Dec. But it seems that the frames aren’t actually in the country yet.

I think that thankfully On One have a good name and they seem to be trading on that, not many companies would ask you to pre-order and hand over your cash with out any picture of the finished article or any sort of specs or geometry details really.

Doesn’t stop me getting excited though.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I am buying it as a winter bike to try and keep my other bike in decent condition for the spring, so hope it is not delayed too much.

Although in saying that a Scottish winter lasts 11.5 months so i am sure it will arrive in time to see plenty of mud.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Due in next week apparently (I just called them).

Shandy
    Free Member

Would it kill them to be honest about the dates, name one that they know they can meet and get on with it?!

scud
    Free Member

I must admit I would of hoped that they could of at least put a picture of the finished frame on the site and the specifics such as the seatpost diameter etc.

Basd upon a conversation with them, the guy on the technical helpline said 27.2mm seatpost, which I have now bought, only to find it is 31.6mm

scaredypants

Would it kill them to be honest about the dates, name one that they know they can meet and get on with it?!

Agreed,

All part of some lame attempt to hype up “excitement” I think – sneak out a couple of preview shots and a “hoped to…” date. With their known talent for running out of stock they pretty much know that people will pre-order as that’s the best chance of ever getting it

Shandy
    Free Member

There is another thread that you can search for where brant gave the dimensions for seatposts etc.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Shandy, it was me that started that other thread as well trying to find out the specs after i’d spoken to the guy on the On One technical “helpline” and he didn’t seem to know anything.

Brant coming on and actually giving some information was a great help and i wouldn’t have pre-ordered the frame had he not cleared up a few things, if it had just been based on the website and the conversation with them i wouldn’t have.

speaker2animals

For the rest of this post bear in mind that I am not directly in the department dealing with the following; Working for a company who sadly have things manufactured in China by a company who we are supposed to have very good relations/close ties with I can tell you that On-One may well be being honest with dates. A few weeks ago we were being chased by a customer for product that was already late and which we were liable for damages on with late delivery. We had been told that the containers were at the docks being checked prior to loading. A couple of days later when the manifest was checked for the ship our containers were not on board. At first we were told that there must have been a mistake at port and containers left portside.Eventually the factory admitted that they hadn’t even packed the items at the factory.

So I can appreciate that On-One may well have been promised delivery to them in time to get them out 1st/2nd but am not surprised if it hasn’t happened. What you need to ask On-One if the ship has even reached a UK port yet? If not then TBH you won’t get them 5th.

druidh
    Free Member

16″ Raw frames now not expected until 20th December – despite what it says on the website. Christmas post etc…. unlikely to see it this year?

scud
    Free Member

Druidh

I can confirm the raw frame is a lovely looking thing. I’m going to post pics up tonight of mine hopefully.

druidh
    Free Member

Meh – just trying to decide if I should wait or can the whole idea and buy something else. I’m sure the frame is very nice (front mech niggles and strange cable stops notwithstanding) but I’m pissed off at On One for not keeping customers up-to-date. I’d also like to know why this size/finish combination was delayed compared to the rest of the batch, just in case there’s some other, as yet uncovered, issue.

thomthumb
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

On-One Scandal 29er Swapout Frame
    Superlight 3.5[b]9[/b]lb race frame.
    Competition proven by our own pro racers this is a superb handling frameset that can be set up with any fork from 80-100mm 29er suspension or our own carbon fork.
    Huge tyre clearance with our bridgeless rear stays, continuous cable routing to keep things running when it’s gritty, it’s a dream fast light trailbike if your riding is more speed than jump.
    Updated with Smoothie Mixer standard tapered headtube.
    Swapout frame so that you can run geared or single speed.
    Same classic Scandal geometry – rated *BEST IN CLASS*

Seatpost diameter: 31.8[b]6[/b]mm

They also need to employ someone more knowledgeable to write their website copy.

brant
    Free Member

I’d also like to know why this size/finish combination was delayed compared to the rest of the batch, just in case there’s some other, as yet uncovered, issue.

i’d quite like to know that too.

druidh
    Free Member

Apparently

they weren’t finished in time for the first container leaving, so they have been moved onto the next scheduled container.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I’m starting to get cold feet about the whole idea.

brant
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I’m starting to get cold feet about the whole idea.

As opposed to hold the whole batch back a week?

druidh
    Free Member

Having seen other brands have delays due to repeated quality issues, I’m maybe a wee bit concerned that this is a repeat. Either way, it’s poor customer service.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was rabidly waiting for them to be released and pre ordered one on the first day…….only to start thinking better of it (cable guides,31.6 seat post,swapouts) and cancel it.
    Yelli screamy or nimble 9??

tk46hal
    Free Member

I was also thinking about getting a new scandal frame, but I’m not going to bother. Too many negatives and not enough positives from the original. Weight, cable guides, under B/B cable routing, having to buy new stem, clamp and front mech are the negatives. Positives, ?.

singlespeedstu

Yelli screamy or nimble 9??

The Yelli gets my vote. 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

So 140’s or 120’s?Phoning ‘Charle’s cycle emporium’ tomorrow 😀

singlespeedstu

120 ATM. 140 in a couple of weeks time when i get a new fork. 8)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

CTBM is closed tomorrow, however my Yelli is due to finally arrive…oh yeah!

cdaimers

In defence of the new Scandal, I preordered and got mine. Yes the cable guides and their location is a bit wonkey, under bottom bracket exposed cables seems a bit 1990’s for me, but the bike and the finish is superb.

Full outer cables and fixings

Better disk mount location

druidh
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for mine. That’s over a month since the money was debited from my account. No update on when it might be available either as delivery dates seem to be somewhat “fluid”.

STATO
    Free Member

hmm, you seem to have used the toptube hydraulic hose guides for your shifter cable, and both pannier mounts (i assume you bought those brackets separate?). Also, i thought the ‘new’ vertical dropouts as supplied with the Scandal put the caliper above the seatstay, seems like they shipped yours with the old style dropouts,

cdaimers

The rear shifter cables use the brackets that some of the Ragley bikes use, yes they are fixed to the pannier mounts but I liked the routing on my old Scandal rather and using a full outer to prevent ingress of muck. Dont like bottom bracket routing. I now have 6 spare if anyone wants them (£1.25 each) Product

The dropouts use the alternative drop out “b” thats available. With the routing of the cable following the cable guides on the downtube. It certainly is a neater use of all the cables.Linky

ojom
    Free Member

Druidh – surely you could get your pennies back – it has been outwith the expected delivery time after funds were debited etc. 30 days etc etc

Plus you know you need a KM now anyway.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Looks nice in the raw but you will wreck the jewels with a saddle angle like that 😉

druidh
    Free Member

tbc – find me something a bit lighter than a Karate Monkey and with rack mounts 🙂

It’s such a shame Cube aren’t doing their 29ers as a frame only…….

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So whose ordered their new Scandal 29er?’ is closed to new replies.