Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • So Who's The Greatest (So Far) ? (Gold Medal Content)
  • rossi46
    Free Member

It’s been great this Olympic lark hasn’t it? So many moments to choose from, but so far what has been your greatest Olympic 2012 moment?

For me, it’s got to be Wiggo owning another time trial. I may be biased as a cyclist, and it’s got to have something to do with the Tour De France win and the fact he’s a Londoner like me- but that was awe inspiring 8)

So what’s your favourite bit?

donsimon
    Free Member

Track and Trott giggling.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LeCloc’s dad after he won gold.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Redgrave the hugging machine.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Trotty in the elimination race. No idea what was going on really but seat of the pants entertainment.

yossarian
    Free Member

The last lap of the 10,000. Amazing scenes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Look at my Beautiful boy – the swimmer guy from SA? yes that was good.

Wiggo was my favourite as we expected track success.

montylikesbeer

Queen vicky , that burst of power on the last lap, stunning

mboy
    Free Member

All of it has been incredible, but the total and utter destruction of the Yanks (and everyone else) by the British Girls on the track in the 3KM team pursuit by an embarrassing margin, setting their 6th World Record in a row… Wow!

Then Laura Trott destroying that final 500m TT and winning it, but then fortune favouring her and the American Hammer coming in 4th, 1 point behind Trott overall, the exact result required… Again, WOW!

rossi46
    Free Member

Look at my Beautiful boy – the swimmer guy from SA

Yes! The only legend that dosen’t have a medal this year 😀

Trott giggling

Oh behave! 😉

Garry_Lager

Mo Farrah probs – tall order to take on Bekele. I guess with hindsight he took it pretty comfortably but that was a truly great last lap.

Best cycling event for me was team pursuit – just in terms of sheer excellence. Guess Wiggo’s timetrial not dissimilar.

Best unexpectedly great thing I saw – heavyweight greco-roman wrestling. Mijian Lopez showing he’s the real big dog of London2012. Par terre section where they one guy lies prone and the other tries to throw him was fascinating – try to shift a 120+ kg bloke who doesn’t want to be shifted.

donsimon
    Free Member

Trott giggling

Giggling on BBC1 now. She’s just having alot of fun and not taking at all seriously.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cute for about 10 seconds but god it soon grates!

_tom_
    Free Member

Wiggo for me, the TdF and then the olympic gold. Legend!

Other than that, womens beach volleyball.

Oh and BMX racing starts tomorrow! The track looks awesome.

rossi46
    Free Member

I should add my personal favourite- the day after Wiggo’s gold my five year old son had a go at riding his bike without stabilizers for the first time. He was a bit wobbly at first but amazingly quickly, he was off down the trail and he can even track stand for a whole second!
    He watched the Tour with me and his hero is the ‘yellow man’ and he’s been glued to the Olympics too.

Pure magic 😉

The whole message of the London Olympics is ‘inspire a generation’- i can say first hand that they have!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And a +1 for the last lap of the 10000. It. Was flipping awesome.

loum
    Free Member

+1 for Bert Le Clos, just as good on his second appearance without his son winning.

and Sir Steve, when he virtually resuscitated Alan Campbell after his Bronze effort

and anything involving Laura Trott, psa on bbc1 now

cheers_drive

Mo on the last lap
    Wiggo
    Trott

nealglover
    Free Member

Women’s team persuit was outstanding.
    Ennis in the 800 (to finish in such style was brilliant)
    Mo’s last lap in the 10k had me standing and shouting at the TV 🙂
    Hoy’s last corner in the Kierin was a real goosebumps moment.

But it’s got to be wiggo’s performance in the time trial really.

rossi46
    Free Member

Anyone else finding Spandau Ballet a bit annoying now?

(I like Spandau Ballet by the way)

rossi46
    Free Member

Mo’s last lap in the 10k had me standing and shouting at the TV

That was special- i was watching it on the big screen in Greenwich Park while out on a night ride, i promptly rode home in a PB 40 minutes after watching it!

Ennis in the 800

I heard the stadium erupt from the other side of the river while on said night ride. Awesome 😀

TiRed

Beth Tweddle winning a medal at last. And the mens gymnastics team. And I’m not particularly fond of the sport. It’s just that much of the other successes have come from areas in which we are already dominant. These two performances really felt like winning Bronze medals rather than loosing Gold/Silver.

brakes
    Free Member

there is something about Mo Farrah in the 10k that makes me jump up and down infront of the TV and shout “GO ON MO! GO ON MO!”

but it has to be Wiggo in the TT for me, I nicked off work, cycled 20 miles to see it at Hampton Court, dozed under a tree for an hour, shouted at him from 2km out, then raced 25 miles home with a crowd of other blokes on bikes. smiles for miles.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Best moment for me VP going right over the top of the field to win the Keirin followed by Farah’s last lap.

Third best moment the GB footballists going down to that well known footballing nation South Korea and no one in Britain giving a sh!t.

rossi46
    Free Member

I nicked off work, cycled 20 miles to see it at Hampton Court, dozed under a tree for an hour, shouted at him from 2km out, then raced 25 miles home with a crowd of other blokes on bikes. smiles for miles.

Class! 8)

aracer
    Free Member

Trott in the elimination race was superb – I’ve mentioned it before, but for those who missed it “in front of you” at 2:02 in http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19154159

Then Laura Trott destroying that final 500m TT and winning it, but then fortune favouring her and the American Hammer coming in 4th, 1 point behind Trott overall, the exact result required… Again, WOW!

IMHO it would have been even better had Hammer come in 3rd – they’d have been equal on points, but Trott had actually taken enough time out of her in the TT to be ahead on total time in the timed events.

Though I feel obliged to pick a non-cycling moment, in which case it has to be that Scottish British bloke demolishing Federer at Wimbledon.

Northwind

Ennis’s finish- she didn’t have to do that, she was boxed and could have just jogged home for the gold but she finished in style. Absolute class.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ennis for all the PB’s and record in Hurdles
    GB Cycling for cleaning up at the track
    Rowing Team

warton
    Free Member

Mo for me, that last lap was wonderful.

seadog101

Chris Hoy’s Mum (I think it was anyway, was watching in the gym with sound turned off): Look, Can’t Look, Look, Can’t Look, Shout a bit, Look away, Look again, [Lip reading] ‘Oh thank God’.

Tis what sport’s about

ask1974
    Free Member

The greatest moment for me was Mo Farrah in the 10k. Topped an unbelievable night of tense excitement with a huge race – brilliant edge of your seat, scream at the telly stuff… 😀

Bradley was (is) great and if he doesn’t get SPOTY the program should be scrapped!

But for GB – the ‘greatest’ must be Chris Hoy. Six gold sets the standard all other GB athletes must strive for, by that measurement alone he’s the only choice.

THE greatest is of course Michael Phelps.

ask1974
    Free Member

Third best moment the GB footballists going down to that well known footballing nation South Korea and no one in Britain giving a sh!t.

😀 😀 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

and Sir Steve, when he virtually resuscitated Alan Campbell after his Bronze effort

Never saw that the first time round, pretty awesome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19114000

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ben Ainslie, then Nic Dempsey then Bryony Shaw then Paul Goodison then Shirley Robinson then Ian Persy and Andrew Simpson then Alistair Richardson then the Greenhalge brothers then Ian Walker then all the other ex sailing multiple medal winners at my sailing club.

There, simple that. I’ve fixed for you all.

wallop

The whole of Saturday night was awesome. What I would have given to be in that stadium, enjoying that atmosphere.

crispo
    Free Member

Alister Brownlee winning the Triathlon yesterday. I mean they were always the favourite but the fact that he ran the last 10km in 29.07 is outstanding.

If he had been in the 10km final that Mo ran he would have been only 1:30 behind Farar, 1 second behind the second placed brit and by no means last, and thats after the swim and the cycle already, truely a fantastic effort!

They both looked pretty goosed at the end though! 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

1:30 behind Farar

What the cyclist Tyler?

cudubh

Think for me the lightweight girlies double scull. The look on the bow girls face was amazing. She just couldn’t believe they had done it. Their interview when they came off the water was brilliant, and then the tears on the podium too, made me blub. There have been so many moments when you see the pure joy on the faces of the competitors, mostly the winners, when they perform above expectation. I sincerely hope this will get some of the couch potatoes off their backsides but I suspect that it will only be people who already do sport who will do more.

Helios
    Free Member

Women’s heavyweight double – because Kath Grainger is a bit of a legend but mainly because I’ve known Anna for years, she’s awesome and I now have the privilege of saying I coached* an Olympic champion!

(*OK – I only coached her for one outing – about 6 years ago – but it still counts)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but I suspect that it will only be people who already do sport who will do more.

I don’t believe that at all and even if it makes one person do a bit more exercise then it is a success.

But what I believe will happen is that this Games will encourage more investment in all sports from school age and up, and that children witnessing it will want to take up sport more seriously.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So Who's The Greatest (So Far) ? (Gold Medal Content)’ is closed to new replies.