Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • So, who's eaten horse on purpose then?
  • Dark-Side

Eaten horsemeat in France and Scandinavia. A bit chewy, but tasty. I really don’t know why so many people are up in arms over horsemeat in their burgers etc. It’s really no big deal.

What do they think happens to the faller at the third in the 3.30 at Chepstow?

The problem is that some European countries breed horses to be eaten, then there is the horse meat that enters the food chain illegally, knackered horses bred for training or racing and such. These horses can be full of nasty things like steroids to encourage increased muscle growth and such. Not something I want to be eating.

grum
    Free Member

Eaten horsemeat in France and Scandinavia. A bit chewy, but tasty. I really don’t know why so many people are up in arms over horsemeat in their burgers etc. It’s really no big deal.

I don’t think there would have been half as much fuss I it was pork or something, but there is an issue around the reliability/quality of the sources and mis-labelling of food etc.

Stiggy

My neighbour used to barbecue horse steaks, tried it, was ok, bit ‘metallic’ I thought.

thx1138
    Free Member

I don’t think there would have been half as much fuss I it was pork or something

Depends:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/01/traces-pork-prison-food-halal

thx1138
    Free Member

The problem is that some European countries breed horses to be eaten, then there is the horse meat that enters the food chain illegally, knackered horses bred for training or racing and such. These horses can be full of nasty things like steroids to encourage increased muscle growth and such. Not something I want to be eating.

True, but no-one has yet ascertained where the horsemeat came from. My guess is that it’s commercial horsemeat that’s been put in to supplement other meats, rather than Shergar/Red Rum etc.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Horse is regularly on the menu in my work cafeteria. Not sure what all the fuss is about in the UK & Ireland.

SD-253
    Free Member

Very depressed they threw all that meat away. I would have had it the price would be sooooooooo cheap. I normally only buy from butchers but I would make an exception at the price they would have had to flog them at. Buy one get a trolley load free!

tumbleweed
    Free Member

I was skiing in Switzerland one year and treated myself to horse fillet. One of the finest meals I’ve ever had. Quite coarse but incredibly lean and really tasty….

mrmoofo

Zebra is quite nice too !!

Even the meat is stripy ….

kuman
    Free Member

Does zebra count ?

Edit. Didn’t see post above before started typing.

Local restaurant used to have it. I enjoyed it.

peteimpreza

I have it whenever I holiday in France, nice flavour and very lean.

iain65
    Free Member

Cooked, in France. Raw, in Japan. Haven’t had it knowingly on the menu since.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Yup. Had horse & stripy donkey or Zebra as most people call it.

Nom, nom, nom…. 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My neighbour used to barbecue horse steaks, tried it, was ok, bit ‘metallic’ I thought.

My friend the rosette maker refuses to make a “Great for Barbecues” rosette. Spoilsport.

SD-253
    Free Member

A horse rolled down the hill into my garden once (before I moved in) and they had to chop it up to get it out, what a waste. Worse still after fencing that off a cow rolled down another part of the hill into my garden during the severe rain we had a few years back. It was a lovely Lincoln red broke its leg. Insted of killing it with the gun they injected it so the meat couldn’t be eaten what a waste (yes they fenced of that bit to now). The only good thing I can say is the new owner sold me the bit where the horse came down although it is vey steep so I will have to spend a furtune terrace it.

wwaswas

SD-253 wins the most intriguing mental image of the day award

I can see a group of horses at the top all egging their mate on – you can roll it! Go on! Do it! Dobbin did it last week. Go on!

and then all running off when ti goes wrong.

SD-253
    Free Member

ir12daveor – Member
    Horse is regularly on the menu in my work cafeteria. Not sure what all the fuss is about in the UK & Ireland.

The actually reason the Irish were worried is that some horses have had a medical injestion which never leaves there body and may be dangerous to people. The horse passports were supposed to solve this ie it was not illegal to sell horses for food just the ones that had had the injection BUT the passports were being abused and thats why they were checking the food in the first place.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Horse steak is served in our company canteen every few weeks. Always very popular.

SD-253
    Free Member

SD-253 wins the most intriguing mental image of the day award

I can see a group of horses at the top all egging their mate on – you can roll it! Go on! Do it! Dobbin did it last week. Go on!

and then all running off when ti goes wrong.

Nah the new owner of the land has 2 horse there and she was so worried when I told her she spent a furtune on proper wood fences. At first she even put an electric fence to keep them away from the wood fence. Should have left it there as one of her horses lent over the fence and head butted me in the back because I was ignoring her. I was not happy as I was cutting down a tree with chainsaw at the time. You would have thought the noise would have scared it off??

KonaTC

Had a steak in France many years ago seem to remember I enjoyed it

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I have, in France.

I’ve never understood the ‘this animal is OK to eat, another isn’t because it’s cute/fluffy/godly/whatever’ mentality.

Horse, dog, snake, pig, cow, turtle, giraffe, cat, salmon, carp…it’s all good. Me? I love animals. Especially in a good gravy.

In all seriousness, and despite being a meat eater and sometime hunter, I’m known for my love of animals.

Still, finding horse in my 100% beef product would piss me off as much as buying some Shimano brakes and getting SRAM.

MrSmith
    Free Member

worked in belgium for a while ate it more times than i can remember, i prefer it to beef steak.
    don’t see what all the fuss is about TBH. wish it was readily available over here.

zbonty

I went on a school trip to France and one afternoon we had a tasting session and sampled some gallic fayre such as cheeses, oysters, snails etc.

The chef then asked if any of us had tried horse? Cue a load of twelve year old London kids going ‘eeeurgh, no way, gross’ etc.
    Of course the ‘salami’ we’d just tried was horse (tasted fine obviously).
    However, the horse obsessed girl in my year who rode every day was very noisily, hysterically unhappy and fair enough really! Poor thing.

ocrider

What you get when you order a “steak haché a cheval in France” is a burger with an egg on it, rather than a horseburger.

Just saying, like.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘So, who's eaten horse on purpose then?’ is closed to new replies.