Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • so who's bought a new 26'er in the last month and proud of it :) ?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I’m being told that 29ers are faster, have more traction, climb better, and roll over absolutely everything. I’m trying to keep an open mind on the matter, but it’s difficult!

By people selling 29r’s?

26 works, it works well. It have frames that have evolved over years and have been refined. The art of making a 26″ bike is understood and very well explored. Take some test rides. If you avoid the Specialized and Giant shops there will be more 26 bikes out there.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cove Handjob built in Jan. Loving it. 🙂

NormalMan

Not in the past month, but past 6 months yes.

Not really bothered by the whole wheel size debate, other than finding all the mag articles on them boring. Surely it should just be about choice, like bar width, tyre choice, etc! 😉

I went for a 120mm fs with 26″ wheels as it suited what I was looking for in terms of the way it rode for the riding I do.

A small bonus is being on the same wheel size across the family. Not long ago my daughter was still using 24″ wheels and now she moved to 26 I’m not having to remember ‘other’ size tubes in the pack. 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

7 26ers & 2 29ers,they’re just bikes …………… 🙄

hillsplease

1 and one pending for my kids, who at 8 and 10 can now handle 26 inch wheels but 29ers would just be a bit much not to mention the expense. Gets them out and is all good.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Another Carbon Frame 26 Transition Covert possibility here, at the moment undecided as to wether to buy a new complete kit or swap my current stuff over and sell the ally frame, so the wheels would stay the same 26″, I see no reason to change to bigger wheels, they look silly and must be more likely to buckle riding on rough terrain and anyway there is no Carbon version in that wheel size even if I’d wanted to. I think the whole thing is contrived marketing for no real sound reason.

mattjg
    Free Member

No-one has told me of any advantages to the 26″ wheel other than they’re better when landing from a great height (I have no intention of taking off in the first place), but I’m being told that 29ers are faster, have more traction, climb better, and roll over absolutely everything

You’ll probably be happier on a 29.

They roll, but everything‘s probably a bit of an exaggeration.

kula11rider
    Free Member

Bought a Kona Kula 2011 last month for £600. It’s fast, light, superb climber, good spec and had great reviews. Love riding it in the New Forest. 🙂

mylofitz
    Free Member

Just bought a Genesis Latitude XT in titanium. Absolutely love it. Always been happy with 26 and not read anything yet that convinces me to change.

sefton
    Free Member

I did the Enduro6 last week, a club member rode on what looked like a 15yr old ali mtb with V brakes and a clunky old fork. 5th fastest lap of the day! I saw some very exotic bikes in the field too.

wheel size is not that high up on my list of priorities.

decent rims
    good tires
    good fork
    frame that fits
    reliable drive train
    decent shoes

however if I was buying a race bike new and didnt have other 26″ wheels etc. I’d go 29″

Duffer
    Free Member

I quite often ride Sherwood Pines quite often at the minute. When the weather is nice, i’d say 1/3 of the bikes on the trails will be 29ers (another third will be Orange Fives!). When the weather is bad though, it’s a different story!

Either way, i love chasing them down on my 26″ Gaspipe Special Singlespeed!

kula11rider
    Free Member

Sefton, any ideas what bike won the Enduro? What size wheels?

sefton
    Free Member

not got a clue, the fast boys seemed to have 29ers.

I’d guess they’d still do just as well on a 26″ maybe the 29er was good for some marginal gains between the top few?

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Have finalised the build of the shiny white Cove G Spot. Just need to get out more. Put a pair of Marzocci AM4 forks (air but still weigh a tonne) on the stiffee so still have a hardtail when the G Spot just seems too much.

_tom_
    Free Member

Bought this frame last weekend and can’t wait to get it built up!

fudge9202
    Free Member

This Stealth Black Bandit, its my second and it leaves my mates on 29ers for dead! Its Awesome!!!

bigred1989
    Free Member

Just got my first full susser this week, well a frame that is and building it up, orange ST4, cant wait to finish it!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Pleased to see so many 26″ ‘ers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just bought another 26er. And had my old one rebuilt.

Only got three xc races this year and 26ers will be great on those. The rest of the time I’ll just be riding about so it won’t matter one iota what I’m on.

roverpig

deejayen:[/u] I’m being told that 29ers are faster, have more traction, climb better, and roll over absolutely everything. I’m trying to keep an open mind on the matter, but it’s difficult!

I’d be cautious of taking advice from anybody who is trying to sell you something (including me :-)). I’ve just got back from a skills course at Glenmore Lodge (report to follow). I was on my 26″ Trance. The other student was on an older 26″ hardtail. The instructor had just bought a new carbon Specialized 29er of some sort, but chose to use a Zesty 26″ bike for the course. Partly to save wear and tear on his own bike of course but he also made the point that it was easier to get the front wheel up on the 26″ bike.

Now you may think that you have no interest in lifting wheels at all, but as soon as you take to anything more lumpy than a tow path or forest track you’ll find that you need to lift that wheel up in order to get up or down stuff and once you’ve been shown how to come off a small drop off and land smoothly with both wheels together (rather than hitting the ground like a sack of spuds as I was doing) it soon becomes very addictive. Obviously a 29er doesn’t stop you doing that, but it does seem to be a bit easier to learn with a 26″ bike.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘so who's bought a new 26'er in the last month and proud of it :) ?’ is closed to new replies.