Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So who has ridden in the DARK peak this weekend?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Where/which routes/what was the snow like?

mintimperial

I rode round the top end this morning, above Holmfirth and Saddlworth, on the road bike. Some of the back lanes are still completely blocked with 6′ snowdrifts across them, the bridleways look even worse. I’m supposed to be doing an offroad thingy tomorrow night, I’m anticipating a lot of carrying.

I’m just about done with the **** British weather, if we have another summer like last years I’m taking up crochet instead of cycling.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Not that I dont have great faith in the britsh weather – but here’s some ideas to grt you started on your new hobby . . .

monksie
    Free Member

Stockport to Hope. Roman Lakes. Mellor Church. Robin Hood Picking Rods, Middle Moor. South Head. Royce Clough. Rushup Edge. Pindale. Hope.
    The snow was white, cold but not slushy. Deep in lots of places. Not much ice. Very muddy.

Garry_Lager

monksie – Member

Stockport to Hope. Roman Lakes. Mellor Church. Robin Hood Picking Rods, Middle Moor. South Head. Royce Clough. Rushup Edge. Pindale. Hope.
    The snow was white, cold but not slushy. Deep in lots of places. Not much ice. Very muddy. Setting an example there monksie.

I went for a walk with the kids on Rushup on Friday and it was under 4 feet of snow. The snow is going / gone from the open moorland but there are massive drifts into the gullies and sunken bridleways.

monksie
    Free Member

I won’t be doing it again until it thaws out. I even braved the miserable sour faced cafe cow to get a warm up.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yesterday, ride, push, carry. Big drifts, some riding around the high loop of the Hope Valley. Also visited the same cafe Monksie to be greeted with a smile and warm welcome.
    Out again in the morning, weather will dictate where I ride, push & carry tomorrow.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Did a walk from Digley Reservoir above Holmfirth with the dogs this morning. One of the bridleways I often ride down is under a 6ft snowdrift for a good way. Saw a few impressive 12ft high drifts on the way round.
    Still shitload of snow along the roads.
    Haven’t been further south, but it sounds like the conditions are pretty similar.
    You’d get away with just pushing across the snow at the moment cos it’s still pretty firm underfoot, but if it gets a bit milder over the next couple of days it’ll be a slush-fest. 😥

dannymite1981
    Free Member

I tried to do cut gate(wishfull thinking)starting at fairholmes yesterday but ended up just going round the dams and back to fairholmes.Bit of a waste of time still thick in snow almost everywhere thats off road.This weather is starting to get on my t..ts now i didnt mind it up untill a week or two ago but its taking forever to clear up.mild rant done. 😉

unstableJ
    Free Member

I hear Houndkirk and Blacka are okay, about to go and check in a hour or so.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

any more news?

MarkLG
    Free Member

He’s been gone for 9 hours now. Doesn’t sound good….

Blower
    Free Member

jobs fuked Rob. 😀

Wharny was okish.

hora
    Free Member

Monksie. I ALWAYS take my used plate etc to the counter on the way out and she always acts irritated.

unstableJ
    Free Member

Report posted earlier, surprisingly alright out there actually

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So who has ridden in the DARK peak this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.