Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • So which bike fettling jobs do you not do?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Everything apart from:

– Wheel building
    – Headset fitting (though I might just buy a press and do these myself)
    – Facing

I'm trying to learn how to service forks and shocks so that I can score that job off the list – first faltering steps seemed straightforward.

It's immensely satisfying to build up a repertoire of skills over the years which can be combined with some basic tools to save a lot of money.

(BTW – brake building/bleeding is very easy, despite being messy as ****)

markenduro
    Free Member

Nothing and never bought a frame that needed facing.
    Most stuff on bikes is easy as it is generally just a matter of bolting it on and aligning it correctly.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

would you consider using a bike tool co-op for those low use high cost tools?

In theory yes, but in practice probably not.

Same here. It's a nice idea but these things need doing so rarely it'd probably be more convenient to just take it to a shop.

acjim
    Free Member

rear shocks
    building wheels – although I have replaced some rims
    full fork service (bushes etc)

Anthony
    Free Member

MisterP Re. XTR pedals, you need to hold the pedal body still (not the axle as all that will happen is it will all just spin on the bearings!) and turn the part mentioned, which is ally not plastic and has an arrow on it to show thread direction.

Facing post-mounts helps to ensure the caliper and pads are true in all directions, the mounting slots will only allow adjustments in one plane to centralise it on the disc.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘So which bike fettling jobs do you not do?’ is closed to new replies.