Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So where are you from then?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

This article says that towns and cities have nickname.
    What is the nickname of your town?
    What would you choose for your town/city?s nickname?

Anyone come up with anything for Wrecsam? All I can think of is shoeshopscity! Or DerWrecsam, from the footbal! 🙄

Cougar

I’m from Accrington. The full name of the town comes from the Olde English, Accrington-It-Be-Raining.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Northampton which has been called “N-town” (I wonder why…)
    Or Nottingham, which I’m afraid the only nickname I know of is “Shottingham”

bit of a disappointment really

RealMan
    Free Member

PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP

4ndyB
    Free Member

I was born in Cleethorpes, locals are known as Meggies, as is the town of Cleethorpes.

There are several theories behind the name. The original thorpes of Clee – Oole, Itterby and Thrunscoe – were located on one of the few areas of high land on this section of the east coast. Some suggest that this boulder clay hill was referred to as Mag’s or Meg’s Highland. Others suggests that it wasn’t highland, but Mag’s or Meg’s Island. Again, this is possible in that the higher land here was bounded by the sea to the east and marsh to the north, south and west. So the higher land could have looked like an island – or been an island at high tide. However, we must remember that the thorpes of Clee were part of the Danelaw and as such were under Danish rule. So it is unlikely that the residents would have used the word ‘island’. But the theory may ring still true if we look a little deeper. The Norse for island is, in fact, ‘ay’. Thus Meggie could have derived from Meg-ay or Mag-ay. What of Meg or Mag? It may be a personal name. Another theory suggests that Meg/Mag derives from the Old English word ‘maegan’, meaning ‘great’.

However, there is yet another theory. This theory puts forward the idea that the term Meggie has its origins in the military history Lincolnshire. Towards the end of the 19th century, the local commandant of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment was Captain H W Meggitt. Thus the volunteers adopted the term Meggie to distinguish them from the Yellowbellies of the Lincolnshire Fens.

Although I think that it could be renamed Cum-fer-dey or Chavthorpes as the majority of South Yorkshire’s finest seem to arrive over the summer months with several screaming/swearing kids in tow all in matching tracksuit bottoms tucked into the obligatory white Reebok classics

iDave
    Free Member

DUNGannon – a wee shite hole

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Byfleet, from the Latin meaning ‘two industrial estates’

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ahhh, the meaning of Liff

elaineanne
    Free Member

Todmorden (TOD MOR DEN) as its in-scribed on local stone. or some people call it Odmorden (cos we have strange lurkin Aliens around our valley) ….and locally we are know as ‘Todites’… :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

Splott, the suburb of Cardiff, is called “Sploe” in a wannabe French style by estate agents.

So I’m told 🙂

Creg

I dont know what the nickname is for Middlesbrough (I only live here, not from here).

Wouldnt be suprised to find it’s “shithole”

Kuco

Northampton which has been called “N-town”

Lived here all my life and never heard it called that or is it a student thing?

scaredypants

Creg, you are correct

(I iz from Stockton) 😉

khani
    Free Member

Bernard manning described it as ‘a roundabout with chippies’

binners

I couldn’t care less what the place I’m from is referred to as. Once the dreadful mix-up with the whole ‘who’s running the planet’ business is cleared up, and I am installed in my rightful place as all-powerful supreme being, this is what its going to look like:

slimtubing
    Free Member

i live in a Suburb of Auckland called Onehunga (Oh-knee-hung-ah), generally the more erudite types laughingly call it 1 hunga.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Kuco – Member
    Northampton which has been called “N-town”

Lived here all my life and never heard it called that or is it a student thing?

Could well be, can’t say as I’ve ever called it that…but I’ve heard people say it

ton

from wakefield (field of wakers in the domesday book)

live in rothwell (shiyte hole)

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Clitheroe (Lancashire)

-and how are you spelling that sir?
    – C.L.I.T…(pause for dramatic effect)…hero…E 😈

Originally from Airdrie aka Nazi-ville due to the football teams support.

I moved a long time ago.

snowslave

Chorlton cum hardy. That’s Chorlton as in the wheelies. Hardy as in kiss me hardy. Cum as in nsfw. Don’t blow it up just yet please Adam, We’ve kebabs to munch

brakes
    Free Member

I am a Smoggie from the Boro

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Leeds, we don’t so much have a nickname as a feeling we inspire in people…

donsimon
    Free Member

Leeds, we don’t so much have a nickname as a feeling we inspire in people…

Aaaaawww! bless… 😀

In my time in Chester it was referred to as Little London, not sure if it was because of the cost of living or the crap football!

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Little London is one specific area of high rise flats near the HBoS building, thanks for the sympathy 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stab City

toys19
    Free Member

I know somone from a place in south Wales called Llantwit Major, known as Llantwat for obvious reasons.

Various mates from cheltnham or birmingham tlak about being back in “Nam”

We like to call Exeter – Excreter

local town Crediton is known as Cruddytown

binners

Oh I’m not going to blow the peoples republic up Steve. I thought we were talking about where we were from originally

snowslave

Phew. Just checking like

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a nomadic upbringing, but currently live between That London’s Famous London and the Eastern Edge of the West Country. Loik.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was born in Hackney. It needs no nickname…

binners

Cool. I’m going to nip in to the Ashiana tomorrow and inform of of our intentions for Wednesday night. That they’ll have a hoard of muddy, hungry and very likely drunk mountain bikers descending on them demanding Tandoori lovliness by the bucket-load.

Any ideas on numb res from your mob hombre?

ianpinder
    Free Member

So the two biggest guys on the forum are from wakefield 😈

snowslave

Just trying to waken the slumbering masses with that in mind mate. Watch this space, I’m cat herding, you know what it’s like… 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

I grew up in Somerset (Mendip Hills) & spent a few years in Bristol… and I will be returning there soon, thank gawd.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

God knows what the nickname of Andover is, but i don’t live there anymore so i don’t care.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

God knows what the nickname of Andover is

I can think of many, but most are too rude for a family site such as this. Shame really, as it’s on the edge of some lovely country!

simonralli2
    Free Member

This is taken from the Dumfries, Queen of the South! facebook page. It’s quite funny. I think I have taken out all the swear words.

Something I read awhile ago thats appropriate in here and so true!!! Enjoy and discuss….??Last year Pete Fortune and I wrote a book entitled ‘Dumfries a History and Celebration’. As possibly any book with such a flatulent title deserved, it attracted little publicity on its publication. It’s an attractive looking book with 5 chapters of largely plagiarised drooling about Dumfries and its rich History and, in the last of these, an upbeat assessment of Dumfries’ potential to re-invent itself and survive rather than do the decent thing and slide discreetly into the Solway. We were very much against the lunatic feeling of optimism that we were forced to inject into Chapter 5, so much so that I wrote a secret Chapter 6 as an antidote.??Here it is:

??Actually it’s a ****-hole isn’t it? All these famous people might have come from Dumfries but they all ****ed off as soon as they could, and no wonder. The only exceptions are folk who died prematurely before they could **** off. Walking through Dumfries on a Saturday afternoon is enough to make you weep. The streets are filled with junkies, knock-kneed whores, thieves, pedarasts, religious maniacs and Rangers supporters.??Every second shop is a ****ing Pound emporium selling glass paperweights made by Korean schoolchildren and umbrellas that break as you leave the premises, or a Tanning Salon where you can go to cultivate that particular orange complexion unique to the town’s tarts.

The streets are filthy, coated in chewing gum, the riverbanks covered in kebab boxes and the only people with the energy to complain are monomaniac serial letter writers who in any sensible community would be beaten to death or locked away in an upstairs room. The pubs are full of the same pissed old men or a legion of able-bodied drunkards on incapacity benefit, and the only pub entertainment is Sky Sports or watching some old dosser ***** himself.??At night the town fills with bottom feeders or fat old bags on hen-parties from Newcastle the only town in the world comparable to Dumfries in its subnormal and retarded inhabitants.

The town’s packed with inadequate single mothers on benefit and their cock-eyed boyfriends on crack although there is a huge population of middle class ****ers who live in overpriced encampments on the edge of town and depend on the burgeoning ranks of irredeemable scum for their livelihood.??800 years of History but you’d think the town had been designed by some humourless, possibly syphilitic, presbyterian.

Every building of any importance has been knocked down, or soon will be, apart from those associated with Robert Burns, the poet of choice for Scotlands masons and unionists. The football team’s ****, the leisure centre, if it ever gets built, will fill up with the town’s young, an under-educated mob of proto-criminals, and going to Tesco’s and making it back without being ambushed by some Sandside skip-rat will remain the highlight of everyone’s week. The council’s full of old bores or drunkards whose collective imagination would fit in the shell of a hazel nut.

The only tourists you see are here by mistake, or are disabled pensioners from East Kilbride who got the Mystery Tour Booby Prize.??The Crichton Campus is the university of choice for people with one C pass at Higher or saddos who can’t bear to leave their thick boyfriends and go to a proper University. Guid Neighbours is an orgy of drink fuelled violence with no origin in history at all, apart from an attempt in the 1930s to convince the townspeople they had a sense of community and heritage.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Too true Captain. I’m from one of the rather lovely hamlets in the surrounding area :-). I live at the seaside now, but it’s nice to go home sometimes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The town of my birth is Colchester, which should be rights be called “Perineum” given it’s proximity to Ipswich and Clacton-On-Sea.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So where are you from then?’ is closed to new replies.