Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So what's involved in shortening a Revelation these days?
  • Northwind

CRC have good prices for RCT3s in 150mm, not so good for 140mm… I gather it’s not alltravel spacers any more? I’d been planning some robo-sektor-revelation thing but this might make more sense…

walleater

I recently bought a used 150mm Solo Hair Rev and it had been lowered by adding a 20mm travel spacer, and while I never mounted the fork to a frame like that, it appeared to go up and down fine. All the blurb on the ‘net says that you can’t do that, despite my fork seemingly not suffering as a result. I took the space out to run the fork at 150, and it’s the same fork but longerer. Officially you have to buy a shorter air piston….unofficially….maybe not?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Above posters fork will not be allowing the air to equalise between the positive and negative chambers.

If you want to shorten one then you either buy a new airspring or have xxmm removed from the airspring you have. I did the latter and it cost a few quid to the local machine shop.

BadlyWiredDog

As above, assuming it’s the same as the new Pike, you need to remove 10mm from the air shaft – this process. From what I can gather, if you just take 10mm off the shaft, the internal threads are still long enough to accommodate the fork lower bolt, but that may be BS. But basically it looks pretty straightforward, about to do the same to my Pike, though I bought a spare air shaft first to allow for disasters…

nickdavies

As above, assuming it’s the same as the new Pike, you need to remove 10mm from the air shaft – this process. From what I can gather, if you just take 10mm off the shaft, the internal threads are still long enough to accommodate the fork lower bolt, but that may be BS. But basically it looks pretty straightforward, about to do the same to my Pike, though I bought a spare air shaft first to allow for disasters…

If you’ve bought a spare air shaft – why would you not just buy the right sized one instead of cutting one down?

grey

I have some new 150mm rtc3’s that I need to be 130mm, does that mean I just need to take 20mm off of the bottom of the air shaft. Could do with confirmation before I fire up the lathe.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Yes but you may also need to tap the thread deeper into the shaft for the lower bolt. Cutting 10mm off is usually ok, anymore and I cannot be sure that you will have enough thread depth.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m so glad I spotted this coming and bought one of the very last dual air Revelations. Should last me to 2018 at least! 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

If you’ve bought a spare air shaft – why would you not just buy the right sized one instead of cutting one down?

Well, it’s either because I’m a gormless cretin or it might be that, so far at least, there isn’t a standard-sized 140mm, 26″ air shaft available. Take your pick. 😉

To be fair, I guess it could be both…

robhughes
    Free Member

One of these NW.
    link

grey

Rick Draper – Member
    Yes but you may also need to tap the thread deeper into the shaft for the lower bolt. Cutting 10mm off is usually ok, anymore and I cannot be sure that you will have enough thread depth.

I thought that might be the case, this is assuming it will fit through the hole in the headstock of the lathe, could be a close thing.

Northwind

If it’s just £20 for the part I reckon I’ll do that then- cheers! Much appreciated.

robhughes
    Free Member

No worries Northwind.If you want to verify this.Throw that link over to Si at loco.
    It is the part you need.He’s probably got them in stock anyway. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So what's involved in shortening a Revelation these days?’ is closed to new replies.