Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So what you keeping the wet/dirt/mud etc… Off your dropper post with?
  • carlos
    Free Member

I’ve just trimmed (some might say bodged) a spare Neoguard to wrap round the seat rails and just underneath the silver collar on my new Reverb.

I think it looks pretty tidy. Seemed to work well at keping the muck etc.. Off on the last very wet ride round the local trails. Dead easy to remove, rinse, dry and re-fit.

I suppose time will tell if its an effective method of doing the job.

Anyway other than a mudguard what you using or aren’t you?

Carl

julians
    Free Member

Haven’t bothered with anything, all ok so far 12 months in

hammyuk
    Free Member

Bender Fender XL

Simon

I’ve got a Gravity Dropper, it’s got a rubber boot on it.

carlos
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member
    Bender Fender XL

Got any pics of how thats mounted?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not bothered and my Spesh comand post is still fine after 2 years
    But I do clean it and put a little silicon spray on it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Nothing. Mines a Reverb and it’s been absolutely fine

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Neoprene fork gaiter on joplin. Seized after 1 wet ride before fitting the gaiter, been fine since. Seen a fair few inner tubes used as boots, and opened out sections of inner tube used like a neoguard (attach corners to saddle rails, other end to lower section of dropper).

Most reverbs I’ve seen have not had anything, I assume RS sealing is better than most.

Northwind

My KS doesn’t need one and my Gravity Dropper came with one. Have to admit the mind boggles a wee bit at people who buy a product they don’t trust and set about bodging it.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

A above; have a reverb and no protection (oo er!) I generally clean it after a muddy ride and make sure there is no mud or grit around the seal.

hammyuk
    Free Member

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It’s my cable to the remote on my KS that needs replacing as the outer gets hard and brittle, I keep the oat stanchion well greased around the seals and fork juice to keep it smooth.

carlos
    Free Member

Have to admit the mind boggles a wee bit at people who buy a product they don’t trust and set about bodging it.

Didn’t say I don’t trust it and haven’t bodged the product. 🙄 I asked about shielding it from the wet/mud and dirt etc…

I never bothered trying to protect/shield my Joplin and didn’t have any issues, just thought I’d see what others are up to

amedias
    Free Member

My KS one pulled in some dirt over the first few months, despite the seal appearing to do its job from the outside was full of muck when i came to take it apart for a service.

I cut an old innertube up, slid the post into it, zippie at the top, and fits snugly over the seat collar at the other end, hasn’t let anything in since.

looks ugly, but then so does the rest of the bike when covered in crap.

colournoise

Ghetto.

amedias
    Free Member

just like that ^

except zippie at the top, and inner tube all the way to the seat collar on KS as it’s inserted further into my seattube

carlos
    Free Member

Hammyuk – Not sure I can get something like that in a position that would be effective on my Heckler

chris_db
    Free Member

Nothing on my reverb, no probs after 13 months of getting it carked.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The Fender Benders I’ve seen only come out one side not both like yours, where are those from.

acidchunks

another vote for the inner tube & cable tie method here.

Northwind

HammyUK, is there ever a time that makes any difference to the seatpost?

colournoise

amedias – Member
    just like that ^
    except zippie at the top

Yeah, mine normally has a tie both ends but occasionally the top one pops off when I lower the post.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’s the XL and yes it makes a difference – seat post stays clean and so does my arse.

Northwind

Cool… The pic makes it look like it’ll not be in the path of the rear wheel water, that’s interesting

lee93
    Free Member

Best way is to use a fork stanchion cover think there lizard skins it even has a gap in it for the cable to pop out and has Velcro fixing the full length cable tie it at the top job done it works perfectly think I paused £11 toe the two at lbs

carlos
    Free Member

This is a pic of what I’ve done with an old Neoguard.

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/cupton/Joplin/IMGP0210_zps21811138.jpg[/IMG]

I cut the bottom velcro fasteners off ans stitched on some thin velcro that wraps under the sliver collar on the post.

I’ll see how it fairs later on

Carl

amedias
    Free Member

since that’s only enclosed on the one side wont it just collect debris thrown up from the front and hold it near the seal?

Trimix
    Free Member

Two years with my Reverb – ride all winter 2 or 3 times a week – the mud has not caused any issues. The seal is pretty good so I gave up with home made mud protectors in the end.

TF Tuned serviced it once, said it was fine.

carlos
    Free Member

amedias – Member
    since that’s only enclosed on the one side wont it just collect debris thrown up from the front and hold it near the seal?

:idea:Now thats a good point and something I’ve overlooked. I’ll give it a bash tonight and if it does, its coming off and I’ll run it with nothing.

There seems to be a good opinion that the Seal is decent enough

Ta
    Carl

GaryLake
    Free Member

Fox DOSS, no protection but use Brunox Fork Lube spray to clean up the seal after every ride (squirt, compress/extend and wipe). Prob nearly a 1000km of riding over the winter and it’s faultless so far.

I reckon the DOSS despite it’s ‘unique features’ might even prove to be more reliable than the Reverb…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cool… The pic makes it look like it’ll not be in the path of the rear wheel water, that’s interesting

crud comes off tangentially not radially and the guard doesnt intersect the tangent from tyre to post in the pic, but I guess it does do once the rear suspension is compressed.

admit the mind boggles a wee bit at people who buy a product they don’t trust and set about bodging it.

In my case I did trust it, it filled with water and seized solid on the very first ride. Only reason I didnt immediately send it back was because it was day 1 of a weekend riding in wales. Been fince since fitting the fork gaiter though.

MadPierre

My reverb top seal got a bit stictiony so I took it to bits and gave it a clean and lube t’other week. It was muck causing it. Pretty easy to do.

Slogo
    Free Member

one of these.

great fit

rOcKeTdOg

Simon – Member

wot he said

composite
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Simon – Member

wot he said

What they both said.

Funny how people complain about them being ugly then bodge something on whatever else they end up buying. 🙄

doubledunter
    Free Member

Noticed recently fender bender seems to do the trick 🙂

chrispo
    Free Member

Simon – Member

I got one for Xmas and the boot came off top and bottom on the first ride and it now feels a bit gritty, so I’m not feeling as smug now 🙂

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Use a section of inner tube on mine. Zip tied at the top, covers the whole post so nowt gets in. Doesn’t look the best but it’s covered in shite most the time.

float
    Free Member

the boot came off top and bottom on the first ride and it now feels a bit gritty

i think youre lying

brickwizard
    Free Member

Ham yuk
    That fender bender looks good is it a specific rear one or a front adapted for the rear?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So what you keeping the wet/dirt/mud etc… Off your dropper post with?’ is closed to new replies.