• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by doh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • So what now for the big name light producers?
  • Toddboy
    Free Member

So the DX light has already sold a lot of lights, and is still in demand it seems on various forums. We also have the Troutlight, which although hasn't sold as many, is a very good light, and could be the best bikelight not developed by a big name company.

So how are the big names going to react to decreasing sales? Are we going to see a "fightback" with high powered cheaper lights? Or do you think that the bike light market is so large that the big names will continue as normal?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…as last sentance.

Brands come and go, what is 'in' now will be 'out' in a few years time, a sufficient number of MTBers will always happily pay stupid money for the next best expensiveist thing, and night biking appears to attract group willy-waving in the form of bizzare lighting 'arms races', from what I've heard on here.

I expect we'll see a lot more cheaper mass-produced chinese brands entering this fairly lucrative market. But the big money brands will still be there. Mountain biking is the new golf, don't ya know 😉

Being overwhelmingly cheep myself – and a fan of mass-produced chinese tat – I for one happily applaud lights of the like of the DX. It means that relative paupers like myself can actually obatain a better night riding experience than that envoked from strapping a hiking head torch to the handlebars and briefly seeing spotted quolls* dissapearing into encroaching pools of pitch black inky darkness.

Now.. if only it weren't rapidly becoming summer in this particular hemisphere, I'd buy one. 😉
    * a carnivorous marsupial

mrmo
    Free Member

but when you read stories about the number of weeks some have had to wait, service sells.

I ordered a set of ayups and had them in my hands within 4days, if i had wanted Hope or exposure i could have had them the next day. Personally i am impatient and want things quickly.

grantway
    Free Member

Well mrmo you have pointed out another cost to the manufacturer
    so better service is another added cost towards the price of the light.
    Friend has the large Hope light and a very nice bit of engineering
    But does it have to be metal?
    Dont know the market is Lucrative has what is the cost of making this product, but surely making a profit!
    But insaying that when you see the tests in magazines against the cheaper lights it seems an obvious reason why they are that price.
    Thought ABS was the new metal some years back, and would make the product
    cheaper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont think the big companys will be crapping them selves at the DX etc – spoke to the head honcho at USE/exposure the other week and top and bottom of it , demand was outstripping supply at his end. He didnt seem worried about the DX …

I dont think the folk who buy the likes of dx lights at the moment would have ever been in the market for the brand name lights if it wasnt for the dx – and those that are will probably still buy a brand name light when the DX fails and they are hooked on night riding , i think these cheap lights are great for that purpose. It means they get the real night riding experiance without having to first experiance it with crap lights and guess at what it really like !

Personally i didnt buy into the DX set up as i want something reliable for racing – i want something i can have fixed in the UK ASAP and im sure that if i were to experiance issues that were not my fault and i was racing at the weekend id be able to get a demo set of lights to use while mines were being fixed because USE are nice guys – ive experianced this from zyro in the past with lupines – and i didnt even have lupine lights !

like the guy above says – service sells – thats why i still shop in my local bike shops (ok they are good shops)

nbt

I'm still happily running NiCad Halogen lumicycle lights. They light the way enough for me to get a decent ride in before the pub. I'm never going to race, so I don;t see the point in buying a new set of lights that will turn blackest night into day for 8 hours. I'm odd though 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said, that after comparing a DX light to my £300 Limi HID, I think these days you've got to be crackers to spend more than £100 on a full set-up. For me the days of expensive bike lights are over. I'm seriously considering selling my Lumi, buying a DX, and pocketing the change……

BadlyWiredDog

What happens when your Deal Extreme light fails?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think many of the big companies willget out of lights. LED tech moves on so quick that you need new lights every couple of years, last years super bright is next years adequate.

I bet there are loads of unsold £250+ lights sitting in warehouses devaluing fast.

The market will consolidate into cheap led torches, Cheap specific led bike lights and a few expensive high end lights – for some companies it just will not be worth it to continue

How many light units have say Hope sold? all their lights are now using old LED tech ( I think) Is it really worth them redesigning with the latest LED tech know there is a fair chance that they will be outdated again in a year or two?

grumm
    Free Member

You send it back and they replace it. You could buy 3 or 4 spares though and still have change from the price of most similarly specced lights.

DickBarton

You order a new one as they are that cheap?

Failure isn't only going to affect the cheap stuff, pretty spectacular fails have been seen on big brand name kit as well…the only real difference between the DX and big brand stuff is that the repair or replacement will arrive sooner from the big brand with support in the UK – daft question as that is very obvious…to some people that clinches the deal, but there are those out there that either don't worry about the warranty (bearing in mind they are so much cheaper for comparable lights, a proportion of buyers will think they are cheap enough to replace); to others, they can't afford the big name lights so they go elsewhere where they can get a very similar performance but for a fraction of the cost.

I don't think the big brands are concerned that much…but what it has done is open up the realms of night riding to a lot more people as the cost of owning lights has got considerably cheaper.

clubber
    Free Member

But does it have to be metal?

Yes. For heat transfer reasons – heat kills LEDs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

_IF_ it fails…..

I send it back, or repair it. Same as any other light. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

I guess the major brands have a wider market than independents and that keeps their margins high enough to continue.
    Factor in the power of advertising, retail outlets and 'brand name' allure and I don't see them being unduly threatened by cheap imports and the cutting edge enthusiasts.

Sounds like Trout is working his fins off supplying a small market with top spec lights at very low margins – excellent work indeed, but I guess he'd agree that to scale it up to the 'making a decent living' level wouldn't be that easy……..

nbt

TandemJeremy – Member

I think many of the big companies willget out of lights. LED tech moves on so quick that you need new lights every couple of years, last years super bright is next years adequate.

Why do you need new lights if the ones you have are still working? Just cos there's something "newer and better", doesn't mean you have to buy it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6VPkESBmw

pypdjl
    Free Member

I think people are getting a bit carried away with the DX light, very good for 50 quid as it is, it's still nowhere near as good as any of the proper top end bike lights.

nickc

Can't see the DX ruining the market, OK some folk on this site have gone mad for it, but at the very extreme (sorry) this site has generated maybe 500 sales, but it's probably waaaay less than that. They'll be those for whom buying from a UK source with all the benefits that go with it will be worth paying extra for. There are some that simply won't trust the light to perform, or don't want to wait (for either delivery or repair/replacement). Or will want a light simply because it's the most expensive.

The Market place for lights has space in it for £50 Chinese bargains, and boutique hand knitted "best of everythings" that start at £300. Not every-one buys on Price, otherwise, we'd all have Deore, no?

😉

Trimix
    Free Member

The technology is and will continue to change rapidly. This will mean brighter and longer lasting lighter weight lights. The marketing departments will convince you that you need to turn night into day and they will continue to sell lights.

There will be expensive and highly marketed ones along side cheap ones that are not marketed. Its like the bike market.

grumm
    Free Member

People are getting 'carried away with it' because for the vast majority of people proper top end bike lights were never a viable option – and the DX light is perfectly good enough for almost everyone's needs.

Pook

I'm mightily impressed with my DX light, in its build quality, and performance. I'm most impressed with the price. Having seen it alongside others, I think it easily compares in performance and in having a solid feel.

I get the feeling a lot of the people here knocking the DX are a bit jealous to be honest. What shall i do with this £150 I've got in my pocket……?

and those that are will probably still buy a brand name light when the DX fails and they are hooked on night riding , i think these cheap lights are great for that purpose. It means they get the real night riding experiance without having to first experiance it with crap lights and guess at what it really like !

I've experienced it with so called "crap lights", namely a tesco torch on my head and an alpkit gamma. It did not in anyway detract from my night riding, nor have I had to "guess at what it's really like". I think one of the things I'm going to miss by having a DX P7 is the feeling that I'm actually riding at night. I find "high end lights" just stop it being proper night riding.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think people are getting a bit carried away with the DX light, very good for 50 quid as it is, it's still nowhere near as good as any of the proper top end bike lights.

Maybe it's not (But it's not far off…) but you don't NEED a top end light with one-point-twenty-one-gigawatts of power and a case lovingly machined by an engineer, do you? Only the adverts tell you that….
    A £50 DX is every bit as good as a 2-3 year old top-end light, and nobody was complaining about those 2-3 years ago, when they were the mutts nuts, were they? There's no escaping the fact that it's a great bit of kit at a silly price, and exactly what most riders need….. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

_IF_ it fails…..

I send it back, or repair it. Same as any other light.

The point I'm making is that some people don't really want to send a light to Hong Kong then wait for it to be returned if it breaks and don't have the technical ability to fix a broken one.

Amyway, there isn't a right or wrong answer, but the sniping at main brand light companies and people who buy from them is getting a bit wearing, no? Sure the components for lights are relatively cheap, but the bike business isn't run as a charity for your benefit, companies have overheads to cover and still need a margin on top.

I suspect that if Troutie for example, was reliant on his lighting for a main source of income, his lights would be a fair bit more expensive.

I run mostly homebrew Cutter lights – mix of Trout housings and converted Lumi halogen cans – and they do the job with light to spare and are cheap with it. But I have a Joystick Maxx as a helmet light because it works well, is self contained and versatile and, to be honest, while I probably could build something similar myself with a bit of time and effort, I really can't be bothered. Liking the look of the new Diablo as well – same convenience, but brighter.

Live and let live on the lumen front eh?

pypdjl
    Free Member

5W halogens are 'good enough', people still buy better lights though. The DX is good for 50 quid, but it's very floody, not great at distance.

hilldodger
    Free Member

It's the old 'need' Vs 'want' argument isn't it 😉

Make a list of everything you own and see how many things you actually 'need' – particularly in the hobby and recreational areas people like to have the luxury of items well above their needs and that's what keeps people in business……..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Doesn't the DX light use the same lamp/tech as the Lupine Tesla @ £275?

I ride with a P7 on my head and P7 on the bars and it is an absurd amount of light. I'd even ride the Cwmcarn downhill track close to full speed with that much light. And it costs £60ish for the pair and four batteries. I frankly can't bring myself to buy anything else, I'd rather save the money for the endless drain that is funding chains and cassettes for 3 bikes at 2010 prices thanks!

nickc

A £50 DX is every bit as good as a 2-3 year old top-end light

Hmmmm, not convinced by that, my 5 yr old HID (retired now as the ballast to too flaky to rely on) makes a friend's DX look light a Gas lamp…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i'm just hoping my lumi halogen lasts a few more years… ok, battery life isn't as comparable (still get nearly 3 hours though), but i much prefer the light which is emitted from a halogen over LEDs…

when they do go though, i'll replace them with lumis again, as the customer service is, imo, 2nd to none.

grumm
    Free Member

but it's very floody, not great at distance.

At what distance? Are you racing downhill or something?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Reliability problems with DX lights? Have there been many? First I've heard of it if so, fill me in please…

MrAgreeable

Out of the three people I know who've got them, one's charger failed out of the box. Another guy had problems with the bar mount slipping, although that might be "user error". They seem like a great light for the money (concerns over reliability aside), but not in the same league as L&Ms, Ayups or Hopes (Lupines seem to be a special case of being expensive and rubbish).

I think the Deore drivetrain comparison is a good one. Will your pedals still turn OK with Deore cranks? Of course. Will they last as long, and do they have the design refinements of a more expensive set? Probably not.

Now, about those Chris King headsets… 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I have bought 2 for that very reason. So if one 'does' fail then while that is being sent off i use the other one. Guaranteed all winter riding, plus i also have the option to take 2 batteries out with me. All for less than £100.

Dogdrag
    Free Member

It has to be said, that after comparing a DX light to my £300 Limi HID, I think these days you've got to be crackers to spend more than £100 on a full set-up. For me the days of expensive bike lights are over. I'm seriously considering selling my Lumi, buying a DX, and pocketing the change……

I think you right there.
    It's like bikes, why do people spend thousands on full suspension to ride local trails when a cheap hard tail will do the job? train more improve your skills if you want better handling, want to go faster?… train harder. Why spend loads on say a Yeti when an On-one will do?

ransos
    Free Member

My lumi halogen seems to be as bright as anything else out there. Ok, so they're a bit heavy and the run time is fairly short, but this isn't an issue really, as I have a spare battery . And they're mega-cheap second hand.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's like bikes, why do people spend thousands on full suspension to ride local trails when a cheap hard tail will do the job? train more improve your skills if you want better handling, want to go faster?… train harder. Why spend loads on say a Yeti when an On-one will do?

Exactly. Currently riding an On-One, and I sold my Yeti an Bought a Pitch, and pocketed £400.

Oh yes, I can see where the money goes on expensive kit, but like I said above, I've just become a bit wiser in my buying habits recently.
    I was as guilty as anybody for wanting a flash bike, so I had one, then sold it for something more appropriate for the riding I do.
    I think the flashiest components I've got now are a 3 year old XT chainset, a used King headset and a pair of Hope hubs that I picked up for next to nothing. Loosing 100g or gaining 3% stiffness here and there won't make a jot of difference to me like it might do for others, and it's the same for lights.
    My Lumi is very good and very bright. But it's 2 years old, and I could sell it and get a DX with change to spare and it's VERY tempting to do just that, having seen one in action. MrsPPs L&M ARC however is another thing entirely. That is far superior to most modern LED stuff. I use it myself as we don't night ride together that often, which is another reason to get rid of thr Lumi…. 🙂

EDIT
    I must admit that part of the pleasure for me is getting decent kit that works well for the lowest price possible. It's easy to walk into a shop and pay top dollar for the best kit available, then walk out feeling very smug (I've done it, it's nice) but if I can get nearly the same for 1/4 of the price, feel nearly as smug, but be a bit richer then, hey, that's good too right? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm not really trying to sell my Lumi right now, by the way. 😉

Dogdrag
    Free Member

Exactly. Currently riding an On-One, and I sold my Yeti an Bought a Pitch, and pocketed £400.

Oh yes, I can see where the money goes on expensive kit, but like I said above, I've just become a bit wiser in my buying habits recently.
    I was as guilty as anybody for wanting a flash bike, so I had one, then sold it for something more appropriate for the riding I do.
    I think the flashiest components I've got now are a 3 year old XT chainset, a used King headset and a pair of Hope hubs that I picked up for next to nothing. Loosing 100g or gaining 3% stiffness here and there won't make a jot of difference to me like it might do for others, and it's the same for lights.
    My Lumi is very good and very bright. But it's 2 years old, and I could sell it and get a DX with change to spare and it's VERY tempting to do just that, having seen one in action. MrsPPs L&M ARC however is another thing entirely. That is far superior to most modern LED stuff. I use it myself as we don't night ride together that often, which is another reason to get rid of thr Lumi….

A man after my own heart! I've done the same with my bike.
    You've hit the nail on the head there, 'buying wisely'
    There's nothing more satisfying than getting a good deal on something. I've had problems with the DX lights (ON/Off switches) but I still buy them, and they seem to have got alot better. Like wise with my Exposures.
    I'll still buy top end and bottom end kit, just maybe not straight away, let it pass field tests with others first!

Pieface

I think 'The next big thing' now that brightness and run times seems to be sorted is adjustable beam patterns / colour temperatures.

FuzzyWuzzy

Still waiting on my DX magicshine to arrive but if it's as good as most people report then I can't see a reason you'd need anything else either. I currently have 09 Ay-Ups on my road bike and an 08 Exposure Enduro + Joystick for MTB.

The Ay-Ups are good but don't penetrate as far as I would like, going to see how the DX compares (I've read it's floody but the additional brightness may still means if throws out usable light at a greater distance).

On the MTB the Exposure Enduro + Joystick combo are fine for local stuff but I need more light for trail centre night riding so hoping the DX will provide that.

Given I've spent a load already on name-brand lights (that get good reviews) and still find them lacking I don't think a £50 punt of DX lights is wasted money. If it solves my problems I'll buy another as a spare, if it doesn't I'll flog it to someone cheaply.

I do think now it's pretty hard to justify spending £200+ on your first set of lights without having tried the DX (or seen a mate's), regardless of whether you can afford mega expensive lights or not.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think 'The next big thing' now that brightness and run times seems to be sorted is adjustable beam patterns / colour temperatures

I agree with that, beam patterns certainly. But the thing is, a new more even/useable beam doesn't grab the headlines like more power or longer runtime, sadly.

I think something with a proper dip/flood beam and a switchable high/long range beam (Think car headlight) would be great. But that doesn't seem to be the direction manufacturers are taking right now. Most are simply picking a generic LED and reflector off a shelf, and adding a battery. Then packaging it in a flash looking case, with lots of functions we don't actually need. I see a head unit, with a simple on/off switch on the side and a big clicky button on the top for high and low beam, from 2 seperate bulbs giving a wide dipped flood then adding a powerful long range high beam. If someone made that, I might consider lashing out £300+ again…..

grumm
    Free Member

I think something with a proper dip/flood beam and a switchable high/long range beam

Yeah I might be willing to pay extra for a quality light with features like that. Until that point the DX will do me fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘So what now for the big name light producers?’ is closed to new replies.