Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • So what good vacuum cleaners are out there then?
  • poppa
    Free Member

We have killed a couple of hand-me down vacuum cleaners and it's now time to buy a decent one worth keeping for a good few years. The only trouble is, we don't know what's out there.

Can anyone recommend, based on personal experience, a good vacuum cleaner?

Everyone seems to rave about Dyson, but if there are any other good options I would be very interested to hear.

Thanks!

wwaswas

Miele every time for me.

finbar
    Free Member

Dyson are carp. Get a Henry.

Jamie
    Free Member

Henry.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Henry, it just works

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Miele Cat & Dog! Coz Which Magazine says so!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sebo – last forever, extremely good performance and cheaper than Dyson. Ours is brilliant (X4 Extra)

http://www.sebo.co.uk

the-muffin-man

Henry!

Our Dyson was a bit pants.

tron
    Free Member

Henry.

Though I suspect the Dyson does a slightly better job of cleaning carpets (an upright hoover beats the floor as it goes), the Henry is simple simple simple and lasts a long time. Dysons tend to have 15 filters that need swapping.

wombat

+1 for Miele

Had one for 4 years now and still good as new….

Sucks better than a (insert very sucky thing here 😉 )

poppa
    Free Member

It seems that Dyson are quite pricey too! We will probably have to get it John Lewis, as we have some vouchers for there! Oh, and upright is preferred…

Hohum
    Free Member

I have just had to have my 10 year old Dyson DC-01 repaired this week.

The repair came to £35 and I asked the chap in the shop whether or not I should just buy a new one and his opinion that the DC-01 was the best of the lot and the newer ones break down more often.

Maybe worth looking into refurbed DC-01s?

stumpy01

We got a Samsung upright from Argos (about £120), mainly based on the good reviews of it on the Argos site. There were well over 100 reviews and had something like 4.5/5

It's great – doesn't look as swanky as a Dyson, but works brilliantly. Almost too much suck on some carpets – you have to twiddle the height thing at the front on certain carpets or it gets really draggy as it sticks itself to the floor.
    And it's really easy to empty the bin thing & clean the filters…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy with Henry, not used owt fancy though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dyson cylinder vac here, with air-powered beaters. Not complicated at all. Two filters in mine.

I dunno why people go on about Henrys. They're just a bog standard basic vac, aren't they?

I wanted a cylinder with a beater brush – best of both worlds imo – and John Lewis had a Miele one and a Dyson. The Miele was feeble by comparison, so I went with Dyson.

MSP

Was this just a cunning way to get all the metrosexuals to reveal themselves?
    Its one thing to do a bit of hoovering to clear the mud from the floor after rolling your bike to its rightfull place in the bedroom, but having an opinion on what constitutes a good hoover, FFS get a grip 😉

poppa
    Free Member

MSP – you may wish to live mired in your own filth, but I hold myself to a higher standard. 😉

Plus, a good vacuum cleaner will make my wife happy.

And when she's happy, I'm allowed to be happy.

MrsTricky
    Free Member

another vote for the Dyson DO-01, ours is still going strong.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I bought the Miele for an ex as a Valentines day present. It didn't make her happy, but the house got a hell of a lot less messy when she packed her bags.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

The new dyson are much better to use than the old ones…. nice and light and emptying the cylinder is super easy and very clean (no escaping dust)

tron
    Free Member

I dunno why people go on about Henrys. They're just a bog standard basic vac, aren't they?

Because they're relatively cheap, tough and work. There's nothing in the things to break. A Dyson is the space shuttle by comparison. I also find bags far cleaner – the Dyson removes dust from your house so that you can breathe it in as you empty the cylinder into the bin.

29erKeith
    Free Member

our DC07's great, not the cheapest no but their service dept' are brilliant
    Full refurb' on ours (7-8 years old) when the motor went was about £50 I think
    It came back with a new filter, dust bin and cyclone bit, new hose, 1 new tool, new brushes and motor. It was like new.

We'd previously had a Henry, Dyson cleans so much better
    it was amazing when we first got the Dyson how much the henry didn't pick up

poppa
    Free Member

I bought the Miele for an ex as a Valentines day present.

Is this where the relationship started to go wrong? If I bought my wife a household cleaning device as a present i'm not sure she'd be happy…!

Lionheart
    Free Member

The Henry in this household has outlasted two house re-builds, two dogs, one Miele (did like this one but did not last!) , one Dyson (both bought as house vacs whilst Henry was on builders duty) and still going strong.

highclimber
    Free Member

Henry swallows anything you feed him! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

the Dyson removes dust from your house so that you can breathe it in as you empty the cylinder into the bin.

That's why you do it outside and hold your breath as you dump it!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is this where the relationship started to go wrong?

No it started to go wrong the xmas before, when I returned the wrong size underwear I bought her and came home with some new kyle straits and lock on grips!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Miele.

Bagless vacs are the work of the devil

docrobster
    Free Member

According to my missus its dyson<henry<sebo
    Personally I thought the henry was fine, especially as its about 1/3rd the price of the other 2. I think she found it more hard work to use- you have to press quite firmly on the hose thing, as compared to just pushing the handle of the upright ones.
    The sebo does have a natty extra connector for getting cat hairs off the sofa which works well.
    Agreed re dust escaping when trying to empty the dyson bin!

Oh, and upright is preferred…

Sebo then over dyson

LeeW

I think 23 of the top 25 vacuums reviewed by Which were German brands, either Bosch or Meile. And most of those were Meile.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Miele and Sebo get my vote.
    I went for a Miele

DaveGr
    Free Member

I bought the Miele for an ex as a Valentines day present. It didn't make her happy, but the house got a hell of a lot less messy when she packed her bags.

😆

Also have a Miele.

molgrips
    Free Member

Really, it's the attachments which rule for our Dyson. Not seen anything else as good.

GrahamS

I'm rocking a Dyson DC-05 Motorhead:

Washable filter + 2nd HEPA filter, motorised head (like an upright), big extendable tube with sensible controls, hard floor and carpet cleaning modes.

We've had it for years through several different houses.

I did recently manage to blow out the motor on it while dealing with ankle deep masonry dust in an attic conversion. 😳

But I just picked up a replacement motor and replaced it myself for £30 (thanks http://www.dysonmedic.com !)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

SEBO

The best £200 I ever spent on any domestic electrical thingy.

13yrs on still perfect – as are the other 5 my family all bought.

Works better than any other type I've tried.

GrahamS

Also, I have no idea why people prefer uprights to cylinders.

Why push around the extra weight for no reason?
    And don't you have stairs? Or curtains? Or a car?

st

We've got one of the Dyson ball thingies, the smaller one. Wife chose it but I now do all the vaccuming and I do like it. It seems very effective and I also prefer using uprights.

It also has the added advantage of costing quite a lot and being a vaccum equivalent of a pair of Jones bars or some other such beardy clique thing ;o)

molgrips
    Free Member

Or a sofa, or blinds, or windowsills, or skirting boards, or shelves.. all of which are dustable with the brush attachment…

molgrips
    Free Member

Or a sofa, or blinds, or windowsills, or skirting boards, or shelves.. all of which are dustable with the brush attachment…

z1ppy

Miele cat & dog, fantasic machine, make sure you get all spare heads as there very good.

Henry if you just want a basic vaccum cleaner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘So what good vacuum cleaners are out there then?’ is closed to new replies.