Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So, what 32T single chainring?
  • Northwind

Somewhat to my surprise, I really like the 32T ring on the Ragley- I thought it’d be too low but I’m enjoying spinning like a madman :mrgreen: But, and this is very important, it’s red.

So, need something to suit a titanium frame with black bits and XTR cranks- so grey, silver or black. And it’d be nice if it were light, and purty, and not terribly expensive. Oh yeah and last forever 😉

I’m thinking E13 Guidering… Anything else that I should consider instead?

MrTall
    Free Member

I run a Renthal on my 1×10 and they are silly light and look fairly bling. Not the cheapest though…..

somafunk

Renthal, fits all three of your criteria, light, purty, not expensive at £35 from CRC.

Suits my Titanium frame, with black bits and middleburn cranks, i see no reason why it wouldn’t suit yours? 😀

Or you could go for a Hope 32 tooth, all much of a muchness but Renthals’s been making alloy chainrings for motorbikes for years n’ years, that’s why i choose Renthal.

Northwind

Yeah, I always used Renthal on the motorbike, only alu sprocket I ever used that lasted… and I’ve got one of their on the Soda, which looks alright.

But they’re not all that light. Well, it’s all trivial really but there’s entire grams between an E13 and a Renthal in 36T, the horror. So kinda ends up spending more for less, not sure Renthal will do anything better.

Hope is nice, good call! Though I’m always skeptical of anything that tells you it’s lightweight, but not what it actually weighs 😀

somafunk

Yeah, i realise there is lighter chainrings out there but i chose to build my Hummer up with bombproof reliability rather than weight weenie gram saving, although i have been guilty of that in the past 😳 . These days I’d rather have stuff i know is not going to wear out on a muddy ride or break at the first sign of abuse.

I always fitted Renthal sprockets/bars to my Motocross bikes so it was the natural choice for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on-one doing their stainless ring for 14.99

im tempted to buy a spare at that price

the one on my SS isnt marked and its done hunners o riding – including a full solo puffer !

Mugboo

No idea what they weigh but Goldtech rings from BETD seem good value.

jamiep
    Free Member

Remove the anodising with Oven Pride to take it down to silver?

rOcKeTdOg

Renthal or velosolo

erny
    Free Member

I have a 32t E13 guidering in black that I might sell if you are interested?

luckydog
    Free Member

velosolo-really nice and a good price.

kayak23

dibs on the red chainring 🙂

akak
    Free Member

My Hope 32T is 33g if that helps.

CheesybeanZ
    PaulD
    Free Member

That Hope 32T at 33g looks to be the lightest 4-bolt I have seen.

Middleburn 38-40g
    Shimano XT Composite 58-60g
    Shimano LX Alloy 41g
    Truvativ 36g
    RaceFace 41g

5-Bolt Sugino at 34g and TA Specialites 41g

PaulD

stevede
    Free Member

My e13 didn’t last at all well on my 1×10 set up – about 6 months of riding about 4 times a week. The Hope I’m currently using is lasting better though. Both 32t and similar in weight (I think).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You’re getting far too hung up over what is about 10g between similair alu rings. Just get a Renthal and be done with it.

colournoise

My Blackspire Mono Veloce is holding up well. Only seems to come in black though.

takisawa2

Or stick a Surly stainless one on & sleep comfortably in the knowledge that you won’t have to make this decision again for the next 3/5/7 years.

mocha
    Free Member

Or stick a Surly stainless one on & sleep comfortably in the knowledge that you won’t have to make this decision again for the next 3/5/7 years.

that.

BadlyWiredDog

Surely the weight of one of those Surly rings would have a big impact on performance, it being a rotating part and all. I’d have thought a lighter ring would have a noticeable impact on pick-up and overall acceleration?

andyl
    Free Member

I really doubt anyone would notice much difference in ‘pick up and acceleration’ from a chainring. If anything, I would have thought a chainring with good teeth that don’t wear will have a better effect as the chain will run better.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hope 32T on MrShmancy.

somafunk

If you fit a really light ring then you’ll need to fit alloy chainring bolts as well, if you fit the usual steel chainring bolts it will cause an imbalance in the rotational forces throughout the drivetrain which will resonate up the frame and lead to man-root fizzle – not a good idea on the bike at all.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Oh come on. Surely the renthal is the only way to go? (says me with one renthal hidden by a bash guard and two e.13’s which were bought because they were cheap)

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’m running 1×10 and getting confused by every 2nd tooth of my Hope ring getting worn. It’s a case of one tooth silver,one tooth still black ano.. one tooth silver..

What’s that all about?

somafunk

Sounds like you have the Hope Pirate edition ring martin,

P20

Another happy renthal user here. The goldtec one was happy, not sure why, their ss 1/8th one was great

pedalhead
    Free Member

Velosolo for me.. Aidan’s last him the whole Tour Divide and he was still riding it back at home afterwards.. Mine has last a year of riding through muck & could just about do with changing but could probably still go on for a while yet

jezandu
    Free Member

Happy Hope chainring user. Been running one since June and it is proving tough and durable despite its lightness. Would be easily recommend.

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

oldnick

I’m running 1×10 and getting confused by every 2nd tooth of my Hope ring getting worn. It’s a case of one tooth silver,one tooth still black ano.. one tooth silver..

What’s that all about?

Chain inner link, chain outer link, chain inner link…

martinxyz
    Free Member

Never noticed it on other rings in the past. Maybe I need to move forward/back one link every few weeks ;O)

Well spotted!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the Hope Pirate edition ring martin,

Heh, I thought of calling hope up and hearing ‘allo Ope,is this question bout pirate dition ring?’

;O)

breadcrumb

What’s that all about?
    Chain inner link, chain outer link, chain inner link

[/quote]

I’ve had that too with my Hope ring when I was 1×9, notably thinner teeth. Only done about 250 ish miles 1×9. Quite a lot of SS miles though.

mandog

I’ve just bought a Renthal. Being moto it suits my all mountain riding style.

Northwind

getonyourbike – Member

You’re getting far too hung up over what is about 10g between similair alu rings. Just get a Renthal and be done with it.

The weight difference is obviously pretty much irrelevant, I’ll not feel it. But why pay more, for a heavier product which will perform similiarly?

Thanks for all the posts folks, didn’t expect to get this much response.

@PaulD- E13 is lighter, which is a wee bit surprising because they don’t look it.

@Somafunk, I had not considered that. Is titanium going to work? I don’t want to cause eddies in the space time continuum.

@Ernie- YGM.

@Kayak- sorry, I’ll be keeping the red one, will probably sneak it onto the big bike for next year’s endurance dh- the swines make us ride upwards!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So, what 32T single chainring?’ is closed to new replies.