Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • So this new Peugeot RCZ Coupe……
  • chrissyboy
    Free Member

Is absolutely gorgeous, and great fun to drive. Just had a go in the 2.0HDi163 manual GT version, in black.

As you were,

C.

stumpy01

Well this month's Car magazine has got the new Pug, Scirocco & TT tested.

They quite liked it.

I saw one on the A1 the other day & my god it's ugly. The front end isn't too bad although it's still got that huge gov but the back end is just wrong – it's too long or something.

Looks nice from some angles – just a shame that it looks like a Peugeot from the front

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Which way round is it supposed to be?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Looks awesome but it's French so it'll be a load of crap

stumpy01

That pic demonstrates the point I made above that the back is too long. Or perhaps the front it too short? Not sure, but it just looks wrong.
    Almost like the glass cabin area needs to be moved back a foot or so to provide a longer bonnet & shorter boot.

And I meant to type gob above, not gov. That gaping, plankton eating front end perhaps suits the 207/308/407 but on this is just doesn't sit right with the rest of the crisp edges.

I love the curved rear glass though and think it's so nearly there, but just not quite.

footflaps

My GF works for Peugeot and gets a new company car every 2 months, so I've recently been driving quite a few of their latest models and I have to say I've been really impressed with them. Would happily buy one and will probably replace the V6-4motion Golf with one.

footflaps

although sadly staff are not allowed the RCZ as a company car 🙁

epicsteve
    Free Member

That is horrible.

konabunny
    Free Member

like a squashed TT with extra chrome.

DickBarton

I was also going to say it looks like a TT, but I really don't like the look of the TT but I like the look of that…will never own one nor will I ever drive one, but it does look very nice (and much nicer than the TT for looks at that angle in my opinion!).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a Pug. That is all…

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Yup, it's a Pug. That is all…. Just like the 205GTi, the 205T16, the Pininfarina 406 Coupe, the best diesel engines of any manufacturer (just ask Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini…). Shite really…

I do agree that the back looks a bit long on the pics, but just wait 'till you actually see one on the road. Far prettier than the new TT in my opinion!

M6TTF
    Free Member

engines might be great, they also do great chassis, but the build quality and attention to detail is poop.

stumpy01

chrissyboy, I did see one on the road….(read my first post) it was either on Monday this week or Friday of last.

The pics in Car magazine are quite flattering to it and I thought it looked pretty good, but when I saw it come past in the flesh……bleurgh…the front end came past, then the cabin and then it took about another 5 mins for the back end to make it past.

And that grille – as it approached it just looked like a squat 207 until it got close.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Two things strike me – it looks very TT. It looks TT formed from a chrysler via the 206 method:

But having owned a few pugs, I imagine it'll be damn good fun cheap motoring and only be costly and problematic if you've no mechanical competence or sympathy.

M6TTF
    Free Member

and if you spec it up properly using the web app it comes out at 28K!!! That's a lot of cash for a french baked bean can….

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yep, top of the range version comes out just short of 30K. In comparison with what price of a similarly spec'd german or japanese option?

I don't get all the anti-french car thing. They have poor reliability ratings, but primarily caused by the fact that the majority of their cars are bottom of the range, cheap cars designed as first-cars or bought by people who don't have the cash/want to spend money on stuff and tend to leave repairs until they've snowballed (from observation, not figures obviously). Every pug I've owned has had the odd minor niggle but caught early they're cheap and easy to fix yourself, and I've owned them for the best part of 10 years, and worked on others in the mean time.

But it's cool to bash them so I'll leave you all to argue on as to why you're spending a fortune on your audis and VWs 🙂

Drac

They've but the headlights on the wrong end.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They've but the headlights on the wrong end.

You've mirrored your p in the x axis.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Two decent cars – the 205GTI and 106Ralleye/GTI. 406 Coupe? You're having a laugh. And what a claim to fame – the best diesel engines? I think that award probably goes to Scania etc

Their current range of cars (RCZ excluded) look as if they've been designed for people who 'just want a car' which in itself is no bad thing. To some people a car is simply a tool. But a tool that looks like its been designed by a blind person who has then given it a vigourous beating with an ugly stick? Pleeeease… Just buy a Citreon if you want a cheap French car – at least their designers have the advantage of being able sighted.

The RCZ though – yes, its a pretty striking looking thing but a) its still a Pug. And a bloody expensive one at that (tough choice – new Pug or few year old Boxster S/Cayman, new TT etc) and b) it was probably built by their blind designers during their lunch break and finally, c) if you're bothered about such things, the depreciation would be almost Alfa-esque!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It's pretty but it will be cr4p to drive – just like every pug since the 106 GTi.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

I think the list price is slightly higher than the Sirrocco and loads cheaper than the TT – price list starts at £20,450 – £25,050 for a 200bhp GT with leather etc. Not sure what jap car you would compare it with? S2000 maybe or 300ZX? Both different sorts of cars to me.

I was thinking about iconic Peugeot's rather than just good ones, and they seem to make plenty of good cars these days….

Sorry Scania? Best engines? Should maybes have qualified it by saying best car engines under 2.0ltr. Scania engines might be great, but they don't put them in cars. Always seem a bit noisy too.

And a Boxter looks like it's the wrong way round too…. To me, it isn't a tough choice – a three or four year old Porsche (which everyone would tell me marks me out as someone who wanted a 911 but couldn't afford one) or £27,000 for a basic TT, or maybe a bit less for something (that I think) prettier, rarer, brand new on the market – the residuals might be rubbish but they're not gold plated on the TT too, especially if you haven't got leather, Bose, etc.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Oh, and Mat – I thought it was a hoot to drive too. Felt 'heavier' than a 106 (obviously) but a lot more special. Like a 'proper' sports car. Try one, you'll like it!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Chrissy – FWD I assume and diesel? Not sounding all that promising. Always keen to drive any new car though so will see if I can get a test in one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's pretty but it will be cr4p to drive – just like every pug since the 106 GTi.

Not really possible to predict is it, the majority of fords are horrible, but the focus is apparently pretty good (I wasn't that impressed TBH). But most of the cheaper end of the market seems to have struggled with the additional weight of all the safety kit these days, it really seems to have messed up their chassis designs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What came out top in the Car review?

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Yeah SM, it was the diesel I drove. FWD too. Great gobs of torque and nice handling on 18"s too. Plenty of grip, but you could feel what was going on. Apparently the 200bhp petrol's available to order for September but until then the diesels the most powerful. Should be plenty around to drive at dealers next month!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Coffee – I preferred the handling of the old Focus – the ST170 was brilliant (apart from the engine!).

Chrissy – just seem a bit wrong putting a diesel in a car like that – same as in the TT too. Surely it understeered and wheelspun a lot when pushed? Does look good though but I reckon Citroen have stolen a big lead over pug with their latest offerings.

pjbarton
    Free Member

jeez, peugeots are ugly – at least the crease round the wheel arch stays circular on this one. the flattened front bit on most pugs makes me queazy.

stumpy01

M_F – erm – I think it was the Scirocco, but not 100% on that. I read it while tired on a Ryanair flight from Italy so I think it went in one ear & out the other.

I do remember them saying that they weren't overly impressed with the driving experience of the Pug, but I think all 3 of them were the diesel versions & they said they suspected the Pug would feel loads better in petrol guise.
    I think there was a 'small box' review within the review of the petrol & they basically said the car handled loads better than with the diesel.

I'll have a look when I get home & update….

chrissyboy
    Free Member

SM, I wasn't on a track so didn't get the chance to drive it to the limits. 'Spirited' driving was more the case, around the bends especially. I agree, the petrol 200 will be the one to have, but the 163 engine is a great diesel. Not much wheelspin, plenty of grip, adjustable through bends with the throttle – even made a nice noise – for a diesel.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M_F – erm – I think it was the Scirocco, but not 100% on that. I read it while tired on a Ryanair flight from Italy so I think it went in one ear & out the other.

It is a nice looking car – especially in that metallic green. 8) I would be surprised if the TT came top as it is the oldest of the cars (although the Scirocco undoubtedly shares lots of its kit) and the Pug is, well, a Pug.

tracknicko
    Free Member

hmmmm. diesel 'sports' car. hmmmmm.

if only it was convertible so you could really hear john deere's finest in the front.

sobriety
    Free Member

Could someone enlighten me as to what the problem with pugs is?

pjbarton
    Free Member

they look like 4 or 5 designers with different ideas fought over the same pencil. the resulting mess getting turned into a car. honestly, some of their rear lights are laughably bad! and as for the smiley face…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Could someone enlighten me as to what the problem with pugs is?

They are French. Next!

And yes, I have owned a Pug and also a Citroen (which made the Pug seem amazing by comparison).

michaelbowden

You know the best thing's about this thread…

Those Citroen desgners that are so good against the Pug ones that are so bad… They're the same people in the same office in Paris.

Those great BMW/Mini engines… RCZ/DS3/207/C3/307/C4 all use the same 1.6 Petrol engine….

The rubbish Pug Diesel's (1.4, 1.6, 2.0, 3.0), same engines as used in all Citroen's/Mini/Focus/Discovery/X Type/Mondeo/Range Rover/XF…..

Badge snobs are great 🙄

DickBarton

I think Fiat have the claim on best diesel engine under 2ltr…not sure I just think that might be the case…I don't tend to read reviews on engines or cars for that mattr (until I find one I might be interested in), then I read it to see how fuel efficient it is and how much space it has (so it will fit a bike in the rear)…anything else is just marketing for me…and I'm not that interested in it…practicality is what I'm after not something that looks amazing (but I do appreciate good looking things, but I won't let that get in the way of function).

sobriety
    Free Member

Fair enough, I currently own a pug, which seems amazing compared to the renault that it replaced! Although the seat that replaced the pug (i know its previous owner) is truly a horrible car…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘So this new Peugeot RCZ Coupe……’ is closed to new replies.