Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • So this "Fasted Riding" stuff?
  • cookeaa

Explain it to me again, is it all just a spin off from “caveman diet” type stuff?

Only I’ve probably skipped breakfast after an hour on the bike a 2-3 times a week for the last couple of years years, so I’ve been doing it unintentionally for a while now, and I’m still a bit on the tubby side TBH…

I’m sat here now at my desk having ridden in, happy enough not to eat probably till lunch, and I have a lovely fresh pot of (butter free) coffee ready to go… what am I doing wrong?

scandal42
    Free Member

You are making your body panic that it isn’t being fed, so when you do eat it stores as much as possible, causing you to keep the weight on. Eat little and often to keep it ticking over rather than encouraging the storing process*

* The above is totally made up, I have no expertise in the dietary field and I should not be taken seriously in any situation, although it does sound strangely plausible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

eat less crap, eat less than you expend.

soobalias
    Free Member

is that the theory that when you dont have any ‘food’ in you, your body has to fuel itself on stored fat*?

so did you use up your last meals worth of fuel, or did your body store it for you overnight?

“happy enough not to eat probably till lunch” – you need to look at your total intake, no point starving all morning if you feast all afternoon.

*for male stwers, thats belly fat right?

somouk
    Free Member

The idea of fasted riding is that you ride first thing in a morning and then you must fuel the body post ride with something.

If you don’t eat after the ride your metabolism won’t respond.

The other stuff is the intermittent fasting where you spend two days out of 5 eating a low calorie intake, that’s more of a dieting plan and shouldn’t affect when or how you ride.

sandwicheater

😳 Planned to start my first fasted ride this morning. Think my wife deliberately cooked bacon to tempt me. It worked. Maybe tomorrow.

bigjim

* The above is totally made up, I have no expertise in the dietary field and I should not be taken seriously in any situation, although it does sound strangely plausible.

ahh, are you iDave?

scandal42
    Free Member

Change the wife immediately, I can put her up whilst you try the fasting.

hora
    Free Member

Im still buzzing and feel strong as a bull. You need willpower. On Sundays ride I legged it up every hill where normally my overladened digestive system was sluggish. I also ate nothing mid during-ride. Normally I need something.

This is after 4 rides.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I tried a training block which had fasted rides, 2 a week I think. The theory (iirc) was that you’d be getting your body used to riding when there was no immediate energy stores available so you’d be less likely to bonk. Not sure if it made a lot of difference, as I’ve not tried the same training regime with normal rides instead of fasted ones. But why not give it a go, shouldn’t do any harm.

cookeaa

The idea of fasted riding is that you ride first thing in a morning and then you must fuel the body post ride with something.

If you don’t eat after the ride your metabolism won’t respond.

So its not really so much of a “Fast” then more like a “breakfast after a ride” ?

So I’ve been accidentally doing an “Intermittent Fast” with an hour of exercise chucked in on alternate week days (when I cycle to work) Not “Fasted Riding”…

And my metabolism is going into “Famine” mode? except I don’t generally feel hungry when I do this…

I think the various names for all this bollox and all the internet waffle on seems to be a bit contradictory and confusing, there’s perhaps too much fluff been written about “Fasted Riding” and various other forms of diet that supposedly compliment activity/training, I’m still not entirely clear on what it all means, how often one should do fasting and what the benefits really are, is it intended to help weight loss, jump start metabolism, confuse your body into a blood sugar spike?

If I should be eating immediately post ride I’d be happy to go back to having some porridge when I get into work. I feel fine still, it’s 10:20-ish, I’ve not eaten since I had a stir-fry and some Grapes last night, (not a huge lardy meal) at about 19:30 hrs, I’ll probably start feeling hungry in the next hour or so and wander over to the shops and get a wrap or sandwich, possibly some crisps, maybe some fruit too… I tend to consider my diet as “Normal” verging on healthy/balanced…

I’m not scoffing vast amounts of cake or biscuits, I drink a reasonable amount of (black) coffee, Fruity tea and water during the day the “Bad” foods (bacon, Roasts, pub lunches, etc) only really gets eaten at the weekends, I barely drink booze at all any more…

I still don’t quite get why I’m at the boundary of “Overweight” on the BMI scale and not a 65kg racing whippet…

codybrennan
    Free Member

You need to be honest with yourself, and maybe create an account on myfitnesspal. Doing that will show you exactly where you’re going wrong, as long as you complete it accurately.

(Married to a dietician who regularly has to have the “be honest with yourself!” chats with patients…and me….weight is slowly coming off…)

scandal42
    Free Member

So this fasted riding malarky is only for overweight people?

cookeaa

You need to be honest with yourself, and maybe create an account on myfitnesspal. Doing that will show you exactly where you’re going wrong, as long as you complete it accurately.

(Married to a dietician who regularly has to have the “be honest with yourself!” chats with patients…and me….weight is slowly coming off…)

Perhaps, but I’m honestly not scoffing stuff on the sly, I’ve eaten crap in the past, but the last couple of years I’ve generally not been eating masses of high calorie food or living on Pizzas, the concious effort I’ve made to eat better, doesn’t seem to be doing much yet…

I guess my cycling/exercise levels are not what I would like primarily due to time restrictions, perhaps that’s more the issue, eat the same, ride more…

The healthiest I’ve ever felt was in my late teens/early 20s when I was maybe as much as 10kg lighter, didn’t have a car, mortgage, wife or kids and spent way more time on bikes/running/generally doing stuff… I also ate a shit load more food back then… Realistically I can’t get back to the frequency and types of activity I was doing in my yoof, so diet has to meet activity halfway on this I reckon, I’m just not sure how it all works…

I shall have a look see at myfitnesspal, I think the missus has used it in the past (to little avail)…

hora
    Free Member

So this fasted riding malarkey is only for overweight people?

Kind of- I’m no expert, just anecdotal. I only want to shift a wee bit but I also wants to stop my over-reliance on carbs. I’ve already lost my sluggishness and aren’t reaching for bars/food mid off road ride.

I see the word ‘diet’ mentioned a few times. I dont see what I’m doing as a diet as I’m only eating two hours later than what I normally would.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the my fitness pal thing if anything it will teach you portion control. You may need smaller plates.

jameso

So this fasted riding malarky is only for overweight people?

Also useful for non-overweight people who think they need an energy bar every 45 mins or so, or who quaff gels on a 2.5hrs mid pace XC ride.
    Helps get away from the direct calorie-in>energy to the pedals riding that many of us do. Not sure if a fasted ride 2x a week alone will change much or if it’s best worked with a training plan or ride pattern that aims toward good endurance pace. Seemed to me that it’s a slow adaptation that takes time but can make a dramatic difference (based on where you start out that is).

scandal42
    Free Member

Righteo,

Might give it a go on my commutes, it’s only 8 miles and I certainly don’t need to lose weight.

Will simply be interesting to see if it improves performance overall.

hora
    Free Member

Also useful for non-overweight people who think they need an energy bar every 45 mins or so, or who quaff gels on a 2.5hrs mid pace XC ride.

This is also me. Eat breakfast AND probably three cereal bars during say 2.5hour peaks ride. Crackers- It got me thinking- how inefficient is my body?

cookeaa

Blimey, set up an account and thought I’d punt in a typical “£3 lunch deal” from the local Tesco:

Tesco – Chicken Fajita Wrap, 2 small fajitas = 405 calories
    Tesco – Salt & Vinegar Crisps, 25 g = 130 calories
    Diet Coke – 330ml Can, 330 ml = 1 calories (?)

Total 536 Calories…

So I’m having a rethink about lunch at the minute, I often do a microwave packet rice (tilda 250g jobbie) and a tin of mackrel, but that comes out at 567 Calories…

I kind of want to go under 500 calories for lunch, but still feel full afterwards…

irelanst
    Free Member

I kind of want to go under 500 calories for lunch, but still feel full afterwards…

Don’t eat the crisps, have a glass of water?

hora
    Free Member

Every lunchtime I had to have a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar at lunchtime. I got rid of this and don’t miss not eating chocolate/sugar (sugary drinks) at all now. At the time though I had withdrawal symptoms- phantom hunger etc about 3pmish every day. Now if need be I’ll have Dorset Cereals muesli.

cookeaa

Don’t eat the crisps, have a glass of water?

Maybe but I’m thinking I want something with more volume/bulk, but less calorific, a little wrap on its own won’t fill me up but its 400 odd calories (probably full of Mayo’ innit)…

I only want to eat less for lunch as my missus is cooking later and TBH I don’t know what she’ll make it can be a bit random… might be the salmon fillets and new potato’s she said she was going to cook last night, could well be a huge plate of pasta, I think I’m best off keeping some calories in reserve. Also I’ll have some fruit for snacks through the afternoon, which also bumps the numbers a bit…

cookeaa

Right Then I’m off to the shop…

My plan is to make two Tuna and Salad wraps (rather than buy ready made), My fitness pal’s database reckons that will come in at 498 Calories, and it will have significantly more bulk than a single packet one chopped in half, without the all Mayo and dressings…

_tom_
    Free Member

Cookeaa swap the wrap for one of the lighter sandwiches, crisps for an apple & grape snack pack and get a snack pack of chicken to have with your lunch. More filling than crisps and no carbs in the chicken.

hora
    Free Member

Never skip meals. You’ll treat yourself/make up for it and shock your body into storage mode (survival)

eddie11
    Free Member

Maybe but I’m thinking I want something with more volume/bulk,

boring answer but eat unrefined foods – fruits have high water and fibre content for their calories so make you feel full. Cashews and brazil nuts are good – lots of protein and unsaturated fat that make you feel full.

Solo
    Free Member

Meat, Fish, ie, protein is widely considered to be slower to digest, which might be useful for those wishing to hold off feeling hungry and thus avoid snacking between their 3 squares.
    😉

cookeaa

2x Tuna Wraps with rocket and baby plum Tomato’s = 449 Calories and I’m feeling full enough now.

Apricots for snacking this afternoon, should probably get come cashews as well, maybe tomorrow…

Loads of spare stuff for lunches through the week, plus I got some Rice for a change maybe tomorrow…

Now its just a case of holding off the biscuits and chugging water/coffee/tea till Five…

Pretty easy this “Healthy” stuff really…

hilldodger
    Free Member

Never skip meals. You’ll treat yourself/make up for it and shock your body into storage mode (survival)

You won’t, not just by skipping a lunch or shifting your eating pattern 😆

If you want low cal and filling then it’s low gluten grains/seeds, nuts, pulses, raw veg and lean protein.
    Once you involve wheat, pasta, rice, potatoes, dairy then you’re pretty much **** as far as weight loss is concerned

cookeaa

Right then looking ahead to the rest of the week, Breakfast suggestions?

Porridge, made with water, possibly with some fruit is a likely candidate…

I tend to make breakfast at work, better if it’s quick and easy and from the sounds of it I need to avoid bread so muffins/crumpets/toast are out…

Ideas?

brakes
    Free Member

what about eggs?

cookeaa

Poached or scrambled perhaps. Yep I’ve got a microwave at work, what to have with them?

codybrennan
    Free Member

My advice was well considered 🙂 if you saw me in the flesh, you’d know why.

….seriously, my missus is bang on with this, and gets results- most people don’t fully realise exactly what they take in, versus what they burn.

Keep on with MFP, be brutally honest, seek alternatives, reduce where you can. Drink plenty of water. MFP also hooks in to Strava to show you calories burned.

Trust me, do this for a few months and you’ll achieve your goals.

Breakfast: 50g of porridge oats, some water, some skimmed milk, some strawberries. Or a slice/2 slices of granary bread and low-fat spread.
    Or 1 slice of bread and a boiled/scrambled/poached egg.

Adjust for exercise, and be realistic with your goals. A pound a week is good. Don’t go crazy.

Solo
    Free Member

Drink plenty enough of water.

No hyponatremia, please.
    🙂

frood
    Free Member

See “structure your meals”

Ideal cycling weight

cookeaa

Yeah, I think I’m going to ignore Bike Radar (and quite a few other sites) articles on nutrition and training fads for a while and concentrate more on simply getting miles in and controlling my Calorific intake…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Be interested to hear what other T1 diabetics eat pre / during / post ride. Especially those of you who use insulin pumps.

tom200

Very interesting, I thought this was going to be a thread about who was riding the fastest!

Does riding in the evening and eating dinner at 2200 count? That’s what I do and I’m not fat!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So this "Fasted Riding" stuff?’ is closed to new replies.