Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • So thinking about building down, max'd out on above ground %
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

Don’t really want to move, well only to next door, but that does’nt really count.
    So anyone here dug down to create a subteranean level, I know it costs twice as much per sq foot.
    But only option really, can move to M inlaws during works.

Stoner
    Free Member

*sucks teeth*

going to have to consider any existing footings/underpinning (they may not even exist depending on age/construction methods), part wall support if terraced/semi, geology, water table/aquifer level, tanking, Radon, ventilation….

move house 😉

heresjonny
    Free Member

No realy cant move, lots of equity thinking 75k to do all in#

Stoner
    Free Member

room in roof not an option?

heresjonny
    Free Member

Loft done, had to fight to get 2m sq extension single storey as it was, with letters of consent from neighbours one even offered to submit planning appliction for his house if it would help me.
    Rural conservation area in Kent.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s doable, check this for hints :

heresjonny
    Free Member

Hmmmm thanks erine but I’m mid terrace think the neighbours might notice if I dig under their house. Oh and dont have an existing cellar either.

Bear
    Free Member

H Jonny

Where in Kent are you?
    Guy I work for has done a couple of basement extensions in rural areas.
    Might be able to help?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m mid terrace

Not doable imho.

geoffj

I’m mid terrace

😯

heresjonny
    Free Member

Hi near tunbridge Wells, will be looking at getting some quotes in soon.

aP
    Free Member

It’s doable, it’ll be spendy though.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hmmmm thanks erine but I’m mid terrace think the neighbours might notice if I dig under their house. Oh and dont have an existing cellar either.

What is the potential damage on your neighbours’ houses from the excavation work?
    As said above, everything is possible, it’s just a question of money.

nickjb
    Free Member

TV architect George Clark dug a basement for his house IIRC he dug the entire plot including the garden and it was a terrace.

http://www.georgeclarke.co.uk/top-tips/going-down-basement-conversions-are-a-great-idea/

bullheart
    Free Member

Whereabouts in TW?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

everything is possible

Not without planning permission. I can’t see any reason why planning permission would be granted.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Would cost an arm and a leg, probably twice that. Can you not use said arm and leg to generate some equity? How you planning on funding the works?

heresjonny
    Free Member

Hi bullheart Chiddingstone, got plenty of equity to do the work.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I may briefly hijack this thread – how do you know what’s underneath your ground floor?

I didn’t see our house being built, but I watched the ones across the road going up – although they have a different design. They’ve got two storeys up front and three at the back because the plot slopes a lot. BUT underneath the front they built full sized room and filled it with giant inflatable bags, then built on top of it. It seems absolutely bonkers to me not to have made that into a store room.

Now I woudln’t have thought that they’d build our house like that since it’s the same front and back, but when you stamp on the ground floor there’s definitely some resonance. Tempted to drill a small hole in the floor and lower down a camera!

wwaswas

Tempted to drill a small hole in the floor

If you puncture the balloon your whole house will take off and whizz around the street making ‘wwwwwhhhhhheeeeeee’ noises.

maccruiskeen

TV architect George Clark dug a basement for his house IIRC he dug the entire plot including the garden and it was a terrace.

Did he blow all his savings, then remorgage, and only get the job 85% done, whilst having a good old cry?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you puncture the balloon your whole house will take off and whizz around the street making ‘wwwwwhhhhhheeeeeee’ noises

I promise I’ll video it from across the road.

heresjonny
    Free Member

House was built in 1856, so not sure really don’t think they did foundations back then just built a big pad and kept going up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘So thinking about building down, max'd out on above ground %’ is closed to new replies.