Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • So then, what this forum was originally designed for: Coffee…
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

***waits for many other male STWers to proclaim to divagirl that they also carry an espresso maker on every expedition ride***

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Like I say, stovetops are not easy to use. Well they are, if you want bad coffee. To get it right is a bit of an art.

I have one of these for outdoor trips 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

Divagirl – Member
    slugwash, I want to come riding with you <drools>

Ooh aye ?

bring yer espresso kit !! <cupboard love>

Crikey, I think I need to sit down in a quiet room with a cup of hot, sweet tea and recompose myself after that bout of online flirting 😉

McQ
    Free Member

I have the same percolator as coffeking and it does me perfectly well.

I’ve never taken it biking, but now that I know there are female bikers out there who appreciate a mid ride refreshment, I will :mrgreen:

bob_summers

i bought a gaggia coffee deluxe from amazon about 8 years ago, a good bit cheaper as it was a refurbished warranty return. only problem i’ve had is having to strip and unblock the boiler as i got lazy with the descaling when i lived in a hardwater area. never misses a beat.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Coffee-Deluxe-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B00008BQZ8

i never got a good espresso from it until i bought a good burr grinder (rossi rr45; 60 quid from a cafe that was closing down) – not all burr grinders are created equal – and started buying fresh roasted coffee, ie not illy etc.
    you have to learn how to tamp evenly too, comes with a bit of practice. they reckon about 30lbs of pressure.

Divagirl
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I have one of these for outdoor trips

I like the look of that one Molgrips 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol! Molgrips FTW 🙂

Divagirl
    Free Member

McQ – Member
    I have the same percolator as coffeking and it does me perfectly well.

I’ve never taken it biking, but now that I know there are female bikers out there who appreciate a mid ride refreshment, I will

I would be very appreciative 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hey Divagirl, I put one of these on a trailer and drag it behind me, along with a bowser of water and a small generator on every long ride 😉

Divagirl
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Hey Divagirl, I put one of these on a trailer and drag it behind me, along with a bowser of water and a small generator on every long ride

Fabulous. I will bring cake 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Damn you and your competitive nature Mat.

langy
    Free Member

Zokes…

Simply Coffee on Rundle Road, near PAC. They roast on-site and have machines for sale etc. If it’s in town, Perfect Cup in the Markets.

coffeesnob.com.au for local opinion inc machines in price brackets.

I’ll be riding road Sat, MTB Sun or Mon – you about? Or are you heading up to the Flinders after all?

big_scot_nanny

i love this one. Half a mug of hot milk, a scoop and a bit of lavazza gold ground coffee in the press, and 2 marks of hot water, ppuuuusssshhh and viola, bloody delicious!

Kev

zokes
    Free Member

Hi Langy!

Sat is being spent buying things (possibly coffee machines), and picking up the bits from CRC at the post office. Sadly I’m not up to Flinders as nowhere to stay, but a quick blast Sun / Mon would be good. I may even have the new bits on my bike by then 🙂

Shall have a wander up Rundle and see what I find. We need to go to a picture framer’s on Saturday that way anyway…

Will email about the ride,

Z

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a Gaggia Classic and a burr grinder and I love the lazy weekend ritual of making good coffee and the smell of freshly-ground beans – loved it since I was a kid and we went into ‘Ye Oldest Chemist Shoppe in England’ in Knaresborough to buy freshly-ground coffee for my dad.

But I also have a stovetop and it does make a nice coffee too.

I don’t have a Nespresso as I enjoy making coffees, not having them made for me.

McQ
    Free Member

I would be very appreciative

Consider the French Espresso coffee packed as well!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Like I say, stovetops are not easy to use. Well they are, if you want bad coffee. To get it right is a bit of an art.

Eh? I find them perfectly easy to use. How complicated can it be?

molgrips
    Free Member

Too much heat, water gets too hot and spoils the coffee
    Slightly too much heat, water comes through too fast and coffee loses taste
    Not enough heat, takes too long

If I am ever at your house, remind me to have tea 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

Aeropress for work and a Gaggia Classic for home. Got the Classic on E Bay after looking for the lovely words ‘used it a few times, been on the shelf since’ in the advert. After a back-flush and de-scale it is as good as new. I can’t recommend it highly enough and well worth the £120 I paid for it. Anything from Krups is rubbish – all made in the far East now – used them, sent them back.

Divagirl
    Free Member

McQ – Member

Consider the French Espresso coffee packed as well!

wahay!!

iDave
    Free Member

I pump hard on my handpresso at home and when camping and when standing around in the outdoors waiting for divagirl – hoping for face moisturiser in return for an espresso

did i really write that? 😯

Divagirl
    Free Member

omg hahahahahaha

yoshimi

Ive got a Gaggia Colour and althoiugh it makes great coffee I regret not getting a Nespresso machine, so much easier!

Also I dont use the spout to froth, I’ve got a seperate milk frother that does a better job and is far less hassle and mess.

khani
    Free Member

For all the tightwads/poor people tk max sell the stove top ones cheap, in one the other week and they had a selection ranging from tiny two cup ones through to big 12cup ones for between £5-15

iDave
    Free Member

for between £5-15

but you could buy a car for that!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If I am ever at your house, remind me to have tea 😉

You can have a kick in the nuts if you like 😉

khani
    Free Member

iDave, see that

That’s you that is 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Like I say, stovetops are not easy to use. Well they are, if you want bad coffee

I’ve never had a bad coffee from one. How do you manage to make a bad one?! Must take some pretty epic failing to get that wrong!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you put it on too hot, the coffee’s bitter. Don’t you mind bitter coffee?

scotia
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring – Member
    titusrider – Member
    this might be sacrilige but the nespressos are actually very good and far far less hassle and mess than a traditional
    Sorry, but IMO it is sacrilige. They are very convenient but the pods are hugely more expensive than loose coffee, you are very restricted on coffees and suppliers and there is all the plastic waste which is an environmental no-no

Do you mean Aluminium? The Nespresso machines use aluminium capsules and have a very large selection of coffees, the Dolce Gusto (Nestlé) machines use plastic capsules and have more restricted sorts of coffees.

zokes
    Free Member

Do you mean Aluminium?

Ah, have you ever wondered about the fantastic mount of energy required to make aluminium? Plastic is probably better.

(Best not to think about this when considering a new bike though, which of course is entirely sustainable, even if you drive 100 miles to ride it in a circle then drive home again…)

scotia
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    Do you mean Aluminium?
    Ah, have you ever wondered about the fantastic mount of energy required to make aluminium? Plastic is probably better.

(Best not to think about this when considering a new bike though, which of course is entirely sustainable, even if you drive 100 miles to ride it in a circle then drive home again…)

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO #

uuhmm yes thanks Zokes..i work in this field but thanks for the heads up!

I was actually picking up on his mixup of the two systems…pernickerty maybe but as i said i work in this field.

Yes the plastic is possibly better, but Aluminium is a very recyclable material.

nickc

TBH if you can’t use a mocha pot molegrips you shouldn’t be allowed near any machinery. Stove tops + beans + grinder. Simple. Works everytime ( unless you’re molegrips and are a bit useless)

molgrips
    Free Member

TBH if you can’t use a mocha pot molegrips you shouldn’t be allowed near any machinery.

Er I’m the one telling you HOW to do it, so I clearly CAN use one!

I suspect you’ve either been lucky or don’t know the difference between burned coffee and correctly brewed coffee 🙂

nickc

No, I just know how to make coffee. y’know: ground coffee, water, heat. simples…As performed by millions of people everyday…

Apart from you, you special special man… 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You can “scald” coffee but I think you’ve got to be a bit sensible. Methinks Mols method means a coffee takes about an hour to make!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t see how a stovetop can make a bad coffee by having too hot water.

The water is at the bottom, it boils at 99.97deg (or thereabouts dependant on contaminants and atmospheric pressure) and then rises up the pipe, through the coffee and then into the upper compartment. Obviously by this point the temperature of the water has dropped just below the boil point and doesn’t scald the coffee.

It is the only way the stovetop works and water only boils at one temperature surely?????

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Question for all – does a stovetop work okay on an electric hob (the glass type ones that “glow”)?!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I assume they will if they are designed to be used with them. I doubt a standard one would (just like some standard pans don’t work with them).

scotia
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    I don’t see how a stovetop can make a bad coffee by having too hot water.

Believe it or not but coffee is actually quite a tricky subject, and is very sensitive to temperature. Studies have shown that temperatures above 92°C gives the coffee a burnt taste..therefore your just off 99°C is too hot..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘So then, what this forum was originally designed for: Coffee…’ is closed to new replies.