Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So then, slicks + rain + concrete kerbs + acute angles =?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

Road rash and pain as my bike slammed sideways out from under me on my commute home. I'd forgotten about rain slicked kerbs when riding on the road. 😐

Oggles
    Free Member

This has been scientifically proven to happen with knobbly tyres too. By me. On a dropped kerb no less.
    I feel your pain!

Kramer
    Free Member

Mine was on a dropped kerb as well. Doh!

radoggair
    Free Member

one of mine was on a fresh piece of tarmac on an inside downhill bend at 1:30AM. Was a good crash believe it or not though the bike would say differently

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I don't like wet roads at all

dyna-ti

Bummer
    hope it wasnt to bad

NZCol

Saw this very thing this morning. Stopped the car and helped the dude up. Big polynesian guy who was hurting but said the pain of his ego being smashed was much worse. Poor dude he went down hard !

handyman
    Free Member

done that, managed to gash knee, hip elbow 4 days before my wedding and i ripped the saddle seat clear off the rails, it was a long ride to work with no saddle

bigyinn
    Free Member

Drain covers at junctions have a similar effect! Two wheel drift, parp!

topangarider
    Free Member

New tarmacadam is more slippy than stuff thats been down a while – keep an eye out for it on bends in the rain!

slimtubing
    Free Member

my last proper bail was on slicks in the wet, it all happens so quickly.

atlaz
    Free Member

I did that on my commute on knobblies too. People even got out of their cars to make sure I was okay as I was going full pelt when I did it. Mostly all that was hurt was my ego. Oh, and my elbow. Wasn't helped much by being clipped in either.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Riding to a dinner in Sydney one evening on my 1 month old road bike with deep section rims I accidentally rode into a drain grate- just big enough for 23c tyres! I bent the rim all the heck- very embarassing.

epicsteve
    Free Member

my last proper bail was on slicks in the wet, it all happens so quickly.

It's even worse with knobblies on tarmac sections. On the way back from the end of one of the local trails I cut through a housing estate with some bits on pavement. At one bit there was a pedestrian coming the other way so I went off the pavement and onto the grass so as not to get in their way. Unfortunately my knobblies had less grip on the wet kerb than the labour government has on the economy so down I went right at their feet. I bounced up and got out of there as fast as possible and didn't even notice the pain until I was a few hundred yards away.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Worst things are train/tram tracks – nightmare – also cattle grids on skinny tyres 🙂 Oh and black ice in teh winter – all gone down on those 😕

afrothunder88

Worst things are train/tram tracks – nightmare

Agreed, I've had quite a few properly sideways moments on the tram tracks in Manchester!

molgrips
    Free Member

My dad (recreational rider) went down really hard on a level crossing once. My best one was in Cardiff on Queen St pedestrian area (it was late in the evening, ok?) the way it used to be with the paving slabs. They left a gap in them for drainage purposes, whcih was fine as it was very thin and too small to admit anything BUT they hadn't aligned it all properly so in places it was just wide enough to admit a 23c tyre and rim perfectly. The front wheel chocked into the hole, the bike stopped dead, the bars vanished from under me and I sailed through the air. I hit the deck (unharmed) before I evel realised what'd happened. My bike was wedged into the crack good and proper too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So then, slicks + rain + concrete kerbs + acute angles =?’ is closed to new replies.