Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So then Recommend me a 29er!!!!
  • gazbournemouth
    Free Member

After doing the 24/12 at the weekend i see a lot of guys and gals riding 29ers and because of my size and build and also the possibility of me just concentrating on enduros rather that xc racing i am toying with the idea of selling my current Giant Anthem and getting a 29er, would prefer carbon or alloy, whats the general thought and views etc??

Cheers

Gary

Clink

You would not go far wrong looking at one of the Giant 2011 hardtails or full sus that are out soonish.

SC Tallboy would fit the bill, but lots of ££££.

GF do a nice range (see Chevin cycle site).

Or if you want a hardtail Singular, On-one, Niner all worth a look.

Can you be a tad more specific about what you are after??

gazbournemouth
    Free Member

ok, would probs be a hardtail, basically for better climbing (i think??) so not too fussed bout a full suss, ive looked at the giants from this year £1400 for a new bike with loads of upgrade potential! like the look of the new scott, but again mega dosh!!

clubber
    Free Member
    Clink

clubber how you getting on with those forks? – quite tempted – any changes in performance/impressions since you wrote that last piece??

hardtails to consider:
    Giant/Scott bikes – nice spec and all reviews positive
    Singular Swift – handles well, perhaps (waits to be slated by Singular crowd!) a little heavy for race bike??
    Singular ti version – reviewed in the mag – lovelly but £££££
    On-one Scandal – prob perfect frame for what you're after and cheap
    On-one carbon frame – not out yet
    Tomac Flint – full bike a bit ££, buy frame only?
    Niner – whole range scandium, steel or alu – EMD cheapest and very suitable
    Ragley TD-1 – rigid only 😈

et al

Loads of choice now, but not always easy getting test rides

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Why not wait for an Anthem 29er?

rootes1

Why not wait for an Anthem 29er?

yep 29er anthems for 2011..

in the meantime get a swift (i have one) v nice and have just fitted some 80mm Manitou Minutes

basically for better climbing (i think??)

think that a decent full sus could give you better climbing if it works well

clubber
    Free Member

Clink – Yeah, they're still fine. I did notice that they seemed a litte less good in terms of small bump sensitivity on a very wet/muddy ride but after a wash and lube (just from the outside, not taking it apart), it was back to normal.

Otherwise, impressions are the same – a bit too linear and maybe very slightly overdamped for my liking (but I like them very active) but both of those can be adjusted with a bit of tweaking and even without they're still plenty good enough, especially for the money.

The Swift isn't particularly light so it's not one for the serious XC race crowd but for most others, I'd say it was fine.

rOcKeTdOg

I've just ridden my swift from sandbanks to hengistbury head and back via ferry and Christchurch etc, seemed pretty perfect for the b'mouth area to me, comfy enough for multi hour enduro riding

gazbournemouth
    Free Member

mmmmmm decisions, but like what clink said difficult to get demos etc, think ill have to borrow one for a weekend and give it a bash!

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Scandal

Sam

Singular Swift…a little heavy for race bike?

2/5ths of our 4th place team at 24/12 were on Swifts 😉

You've got to remember that the frame is ~1/4 of the whole bike weight. Sure, if you're looking to build a super light pure race bike then perhaps look elsewhere, but a geared suspended build can come in under 25lbs without going crazy.

MrTall
    Free Member

There's a chap selling a large Gary Fisher Superfly on the classifieds

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gary-fisher-superfly-29er-2

Size large. Carbon lovelyness for around your budget?

Test riding 29ers is not too easy, especially if you need XL/XXL as most places don't carry stock. Plenty of people on here would let you test theirs though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

how tall are you?

I'm not to far away and got a scandal – 6fter max though.

gazbournemouth
    Free Member

im 6ft 2".

MrTall, just had a look and hes had it for sale for 9 months?? long time to flog a bike??

mchallum
    Free Member

I have a gary Fisher superfly large frame for sale that i have just advertised if your interested.£1650 call me on 07583030562 if you want to know more

thanks

tazzymtb

carbon 29er frame?

http://www.mtb29er.com/Axman_Carbon_Frame_29er.html

Axman- looks rather like it's come from the same place that are making the on-one carbons. If only it was a ss frame 😥

BigGraham
    Free Member

Hi Gaz, I'm in B'mth and got a 19.5" inbred 29er if ya want a go! fully rigid and ss but would give you an idea mail in profile if ya want 🙂

gazbournemouth
    Free Member

thanks bigGraham, i may take you up on that offer!!

those axman frames look very nice!!!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

if it's a race bike I'd wait for the carbon On-ones to land to see how they fare

I'd also test ride as many as possible as the rides can be very different

Duc
    Free Member

Salsa Mamasita or El Mariachi, how about a Dos Niner for somethign different – love my Dos

rootes1

What has charlie the bike monger got in stock? He is down at swanage…

BigGraham
    Free Member

Yeh no worries mate I'm off to camp bestival this weekend but will be back tuesday give me a shout whenever

pedalhead
    Free Member

You know it makes sense… 8)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So then Recommend me a 29er!!!!’ is closed to new replies.