Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So then best recovery drinks
  • daznal
    Free Member

Doing mayhem again this year,on the last lap of last years mud fest I seriously bonked so am thinking that a recovery drink between laps may prevent this happening again(think I was dehydrated as well).So what’s the collective’s opinion on the best recovery drink to neck between laps.

Cheers

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Deleted as it was probably a useless answer based on the fact I’ve never raced for that duration.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Milk, according to the BBC program I watched a while ago.

w1zard
    Free Member

Of all that I have tried over the years, the Vega Sport Recovery is by far the most effective for me.

Of course it’s probably the most expensive too…!

nickjb
    Free Member

Chocolate milk.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wondering if a recovery drink might give you gut rot if you then carry on after it, as opposed to drink it when you stop??

radoggair
    Free Member

can of fizzy juice?………… or just remember to eat and drink constantly. Dont think a recovery drink would help you much at that point. The reason you have bonked is because your energy levels went into reserve which your body couldn’t sustain. Unfortunately by then alot of damage is done so although you can eat and drink you’ll not be in a position to give 100% effort again for a few days. Eat and drink a little but very often is your cure my man

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

milk +1

edlong
    Free Member

Mars Milk

backinireland
    Free Member

Prob not milk…..
    Ideal if finishing for the day but not if heading out again.

There is no ideal for everyone, find some drinks gels etc and try them before the event.
    I remember using a new gel on a long ride once and getting severe cramps.

jameso

Dont think a recovery drink would help you much at that point. The reason you have bonked is because your energy levels went into reserve which your body couldn’t sustain. Unfortunately by then alot of damage is done so although you can eat and drink you’ll not be in a position to give 100% effort again for a few days. Eat and drink a little but very often is your cure my man

Yup. Recovery drinks / choc milk etc is for post effort when you go into recovery / repair mode.

jonny-m
    Free Member

[/img]
    I’ll let you into my little secret… I swear by this combination, and I’m only using the protein powder as I got it for free, normally wouldn’t bother. Plenty of protein from the cashews, peanut butter and milk, try it and “you’ll know”

Northwind

I’m a rubbish racer, but a proper racer suggested soft tinned fruits to me- easy to eat, bit of sugar, bit of slower carbs, bit of fluid, and really nice to boot. Tinned peaches in syrup is my favourite but then I don’t need to worry about insulin crashes, maybe something less sugary would be good for a normal person. By halfway through the day I always find it hard to eat anything.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to take ‘recovery’ drinks half way or at the end of each lap of such a long endurance event. Something like the milk/banana/nuts/protein combo above for the end of the race or after a hard training session, but something more tailored for during exercise for during the event.

I’ve always got on well with the SIS energy drinks, SIS GO or something similar during the race along with some gels or the Clif jelly shot things would be perfect.

annebr
    Free Member

beer

postierich
    Free Member

Mars drink or cups of hot tea with jaffa cakes last 3 laps can of guinness every lap!

banks
    Free Member

Forum search perhaps. Chocolate milk, full fat milk or banana milkshake with honey

teamslug
    Free Member

How many laps are you planning on doing?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So then best recovery drinks’ is closed to new replies.