Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 259 total)
  • So the English have 4 out of the top ten in the World
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I remeber being told years ago that you couldn’t breed for intelligence. ie. The offspring of two brighter than average parents will most likely be less intelligent than the parents, not more.

They were wrong. Twin studies show that is it has a correlation of .75

It is widely accepted and has been for decades that there is a large gentic/hereditary component to intelligence

aracer
    Free Member

Hence there’s really nothing at all wrong with molly’s comment, despite some on here getting all in a froth about it. I do find it interesting how some read into it things he didn’t say.

Northwind

Ironically, we do have world-leading universities, so the current government’s made it a key policy to reduce the number of students who can come here from abroad and study here. Costs the country money and influence, makes it harder for universities to continue to prosper, and does nothing but appease xenophobes.

anagallis_arvensis

Intelligence may be inherited but is intelligence correlated with success?

mt
    Free Member

Grammar Schools perhaps were good for a bit of social mobility, there being scraped does seem correspond to the reported drop in social mobility. However just because that type of school can be regarded as a success the Secondary Modern Schools were a bloody disaster and were under fund. If they had been supported as they should have been perhaps we would not have had the unfairness we now see in society. As far as I’m concerned it’s great that we can have good schools (possibly like Grammars or any other), they can be seen to set a standard but what we need to do is get the resources into the schools that do not perform so well. We should also recognise the difference between schools and the difficulties they have given who they may be trying to educate.

I’d like to see the politic’s out of education, it’s not a left or right thing. It’s about giving people the best start they can have.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Intelligence may be inherited but is intelligence correlated with success?

Yes of course it is (IMO). I am speaking about intelligence in the broadest sense, eg emotional and social included.

molgrips
    Free Member

No idea. That’s why I was putting forward possible explanations rather than telling you all how it is. I don’t know why the percentage of Oxbridge students from pblic schools is so high, but it didn’t seem to be an issue when I went for an interview or got an offer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ironically, we do have world-leading universities, so the current government’s made it a key policy to reduce the number of students who can come here from abroad and study here. Costs the country money and influence, makes it harder for universities to continue to prosper, and does nothing but appease xenophobes.

@Northwind
    , fact is a huge number of students come to fairly ordinary universities so they have right to live and subsequently here, then they stay and get citizenship. They see the tuition fees as a cost of entry. Also numerous Uni’s shot themselves in the foot by granting lots of student places for people who got a VISA and then never turned up as they came and started working. Do you recall the reception Cameron got in India when he announced that it would be harder to get a VISA and people wouldn’t be allowed to stay to work after ? People are using the Unis as a backdoor to a British passport.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t know why the percentage of Oxbridge students from pblic schools is so high

IMO its primarily because the class sizes are smaller, something the state sector could achieve if we where prepared to pay higher taxes for it. Private schools are also smart about the subjects they encourage students to study and apply for.

DrJ

So, by that logic, all working class people are thick as pig shit, and feckless, which is also self perpetuating?

I think we’ve been here before. Poorer people are, in general, less intelligent. Which is sort of why they have less money. Of course there are exceptions – people who take lower paid jobs out of love of their work – but the majority of poorer people have low income because they are not equipped to get better ones. Which is not to say they are worth less as human beings.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes of course it is (IMO).

Conclusive proof then, well done

jambalaya
    Free Member

What DrJ says.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa you asked a question, I gave an answer and indicated it was an opinion. I didn’t know you wanted a proof, I don’t have time for that 😐 . I agree with DrJ.

anagallis_arvensis

far as I’m concerned it’s great that we can have good schools (possibly like Grammars or any other), they can be seen to set a standard but what we need to do is get the resources into the schools that do not perform so well. We should also recognise the difference between schools and the difficulties they have given who they may be trying to educate.

The most important resource in schools are the teachers, good schools attract better teachers.

anagallis_arvensis

TWO people agree they are right, it must be true then!

saxabar
    Free Member

Ironically, we do have world-leading universities, so the current government’s made it a key policy to reduce the number of students who can come here from abroad and study here. Costs the country money and influence, makes it harder for universities to continue to prosper, and does nothing but appease xenophobes

Yep, undergrad levels capped and government seem bent on damaging postgrad market. Often very wealthy postgrads that are here have to jump through all sorts of hoops, with the default being suspicion that they’re up to no good (e.g. enforced recording of meetings closely monitored by an international office frightened by border agencies).

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@Northwind, fact is a huge number of students come to fairly ordinary universities so they have right to live and subsequently here, then they stay and get citizenship. They see the tuition fees as a cost of entry. Also numerous Uni’s shot themselves in the foot by granting lots of student places for people who got a VISA and then never turned up as they came and started working.

Our last info from UKCISA says the “huge majority” leave after their studies- though tbh they can only work from government stats and the government hasn’t a clue who leaves. About 18% remain either permanently or in the immigration system after graduation- but that includes further study, so doesn’t mean much. So offset whatever number stay, legally or illegally, vs the enormous benefit of the rest…

Yes, some unis were problematic- though I think still only London Met have had their licence suspended, and just a few have lost their highly trusted status- but all universities and all students find things harder every year, and there’s no obvious attempt to target this on keeping out invalid students- increase in visa costs and timescales being a pure blunt force deterrant (and ironically, more of a deterrant to legit students than false). We don’t have this year’s stats for the number of students unable to enroll because of ATAS or visa delays but my impression is, loads. (though luckily there’s ways to endrun ATAS in many cases)

And don’t get me started on making student visitors leave the UK in order to reapply as tier 4s, because that’s incredible bullshit. Though I don’t know when that became policy, it might not be Theresa May’s fault- I’m going to blame her anyway because I hate her.

olddog

They were wrong. Twin studies show that is it has a correlation of .75

By twin studies – you mean studies of identical siblings as opposed to parallel studies.

If so how do you control for environmental factors, surely twins more than anyone, even regular siblings with have been exposed to the same environmental factors – and being twins will have been treating the same even if there were not.

Same with kids of clever parents – how can you test for inherent ability controlling for environment.

If this is the evidence – then it very much has not been accepted – In fact Robert Winston was on the radio banging on about this a while ago I think

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Twin studies are usually done with identical twins who are split up and fostered by different parents.

Besides, intelligence is poorly correlated with wealth. DrJ is incorrect on this and I truly wonder whether he is actually a “doctor” seeing as his statement has been made without looking at the evidence.

Northwind, fact is a huge number of students come to fairly ordinary universities so they have right to live and subsequently here, then they stay and get citizenship. They see the tuition fees as a cost of entry. Also numerous Uni’s shot themselves in the foot by granting lots of student places for people who got a VISA and then never turned up as they came and started working. Do you recall the reception Cameron got in India when he announced that it would be harder to get a VISA and people wouldn’t be allowed to stay to work after ? People are using the Unis as a backdoor to a British passport.

They won’t get citizenship unless they have a 1st and are needed by UK industry, you complete tool. So what if UK industry takes the best and brightest? The States does it, Canada does it (If I did a postgrad there, I’d have ages and ages to find a job before they kicked me out), Germany does it, Singapore does it etc etc etc

olddog

Very small population from which to draw sample.

DrJ

Besides, intelligence is poorly correlated with wealth.

That’s true but it is correlated with income.

Garry_Lager

Doubt there’s any agreement on what intelligence is or how it can be measured, let alone correlated with anything.
    There’s probably multiple proxy indicators that can be mashed together as some sort of shakey intelligence readout, some of which will correlate with income.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s true but it is correlated with income.

Not really that well. Certainly not enough to make generalisations about the working classes. Basically it boils down to this, if you meet someone who earns a decent wage, there may be a small probability that they may be a bit cleverer than someone lower down the pay scale.

Plenty of thickies in the 100k bracket. That graph doesn’t really fit in yours or Jambayahwatevers world view. My IQ puts me on the far right of that graph, I doubt that I will be earning 100k anytime soon as I am a directionless **** up. It’s a curse more than a gift that leads to a whole host of problems.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I went to Oxford from a state school, so either I am a genius, it was a fluke or all this stuff about it being primarily for the social elite is bollix ? You decide !

Which college to read what and when? And how do you pronounce the old bridge across the river going up to Cowley?

Besides, your experience alone doesn’t tell the full picture and I’m actually fairly surprised that as a man who states that he went to a state school, that you haven’t mentioned that you didn’t feel at least a little bit out of place there. Or did your upper class puppet masters manage to make you feel like one of them?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The only truism in education is the single biggest factor determining success is parents. My dad went from council house to Harvard and a PHD part-time in the UK. I was lucky.

But the excuses we hide behind are as sad as they are inaccurate.

Well done to GB education – among the best in the world despite the inability to price rationally.

Tom, perhaps he had the confidence in himself instead? Sure you have the right magdalene?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Preeetty sure. Magdalene bridge is next to the college, crosses the river before it hit’s the roundabout. One of those roads goes up to Cowley.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

My understanding was Oxford version pronounced how it looks, Cambridge “Maudlin”?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nope.

Yak

No the Oxford one is pronounced Maudlin, Cambridge is Maudlyn

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmm, odd when you read the Cambridge versions website and they use that to distinguish themselves – may be not so clever after all. 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Tom. Since you can’t even spell it…

Yak

That’s just the added ‘e’. Ridiculous

anagallis_arvensis

I went to Oxford from a state school, so either I am a genius, it was a fluke or all this stuff about it being primarily for the social elite is bollix ? You decide ! but am still too stupid to understand probability

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

LOL +1

Tom. Since you can’t even spell it…

Cambridge add en “e”. I woz confused guv, honest.

mefty
    Free Member

No Tom is right on pronunciation and topography. It is ridiculous to generalize about Oxford. Each college has its own peculiarities, mine, which was 50:50, certainly wasn’t riven by state vs private divide.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sodh…I mean Wadham?

The colleges differ quite considerably in terms of state school ratios.

mefty
    Free Member

No that was Queens

EDIT: It doesn’t work with the edit, and a reputation only because of its name – but wrong.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Nope. Busted U is wun of them peeps from the fenland poly.

There is a real issue here though. Most of the smarter people with me at the place you mention were from state schools, often Northern Grammars, or direct grant schools, which shows how old I am….

Thick public school people could get in then. They can’t now. But the place still isn’t on the radar of lots of state schools, perhaps because so few of the teachers or parents went there, and people feel wrongly, it’s not for them, and so the cycle continues…

Shame.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nope. Busted U is wun of them peeps from the fenland poly.

Never said I went 😉 , a lot of my friends went there and consequently I went to a lot of the parties.

anagallis_arvensis

The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. Latest figures show that, for UK students attending schools or colleges in the UK, 56.8% of places on undergraduate courses went to applicants from the state sector.

From http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures#

So what 44% of places go to what 18 ish % of the kids doing post 16?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 259 total)

The topic ‘So the English have 4 out of the top ten in the World’ is closed to new replies.