Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • So the beeb lose another sport!!
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Any idea which races they won’t show? If it is the ones on late into the night then i’ve no problem with it. This year’s coverage has been spoilt by the new commentary team so i hope they get bought by Sky.

I guess this is a result of the new licence fee settlement, e.g. the govt saying there will be no increase in the fee and they need to cut lots of things to save money.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it is the ones on late into the night then i’ve no problem with it.

There aren’t any that race late into the night in the UK – unless you call 5pm ‘late into the night’. One or two earlier starts (like the Chinese GP) that’s all.

binners

Within ten years there will be no sporting event of any consequence at all on terrestrial telly. Guaranteed!

Do you think that right now, for example, the suits at the Lawn Tennis Association are not looking jealously at the what Sky have just paid for F1, and thinking what huge salaries they could pay themselves if they took Murdochs blank cheque in return for the Wimbledon TV rights?

philconsequence
    Free Member

if they got rid of the tennis, boat race, marathon and football (anything i dont watch) could we have more f1 coverage?

same with all tv shows apart from science, nature and interesting documentaries.

grantus
    Free Member

Isn’t Wimbledon one of the protected events? i.e. it has to remain on terrestrial.

Same as boat race, world cup and grand national?

binners

No! You can have Crown Green Bowling though

john

The thing that always gets me about this sort of thing is the way the bbc (for example) try to talk as if it’s fantastic news. There’s a statement from someone at bbc sport along the lines of ‘ it’s great that we’ve signed this brilliant new agreement to provide excellent coverage’ which is clearly a load of arse, whereas if they’d said ‘yeah, it’s not great, but it was really expensive, so it was this or nothing – at least this way we get some of the more well known races, it’ll have to do’ then people would probably be a bit more understanding. It’s like banks closing branches or reducing opening times and saying it’s ‘to provide a better service to all our customers’ – no it isn’t, it’s because it obviously didn’t make commercial sense to run your businesses like that, which is fine but don’t be so bloomin’ patronising about it.

binners

Are you aware who’s side the present government are on grantus? They want to scrap all media regulation. How long do you think ‘protected’ sporting events will last? They’ll just say that ‘protecting sporting events is anti-competitve and illegal under EU competition law blah blah blah

Then the whole lot gets sold to Sky

bdab
    Free Member

I would much prefer the BBC used my fee to promote healthy lifestyle participation events than a niche sport like F1.

..so windsurfing/kitesurfing/MTB are not niche sports then??

If, if the BBC wants to promote sports that “people” take part in then for sure we have a mass of participation events happening all over the country on a weekend, most weekends in fact

good idea there is thousands every weekend compeating in grassroutes motorsport.. Rallying , circuit racing, sprints , hillclimbs, dirt and tarmac ovals, MX, enduro, road racing, trails….make some good telly that lot…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Allrighty I’m wrong (erm). Seriously Silverstone got 250,000 people in it on the Sunday to watch it?.. really..? well I’ll be blowed.

You can still go and watch it there though yeah, I mean there will still be an F1 event at Silverstone but it might mean you go along and queue up to get in and watch it..

Fine by me, you could avoid the queues by cycling there.

Dog and Duck Darts with “Fat Phil” and “Dangerous Doris” sounds great.. Hook up a handy cam and air it primetime.

I must admit one thing, if it wasn’t for the engineering skills we have in this old country then F1 would probably not exsist, for that reason I really do hope the sport carries on. And I do have a mate who provides one off carbon bits to the Williams team, I hope he continues to do so.

Tell me, have they tried biofuels yet?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I absolutely love have no interest in F1, but there is absolutely no way I’m going to line the pockets of **** murdock in order to watch it.

and what Binners said
    How much per year must it cost the BBC to show including travelling etc when only about 4-5 million watch it ? It is not universally popular even if it is on here.

Drac

Dog and Duck Darts with “Fat Phil” and “Dangerous Doris” sounds great.. Hook up a handy cam and air it primetime.

Nah too much Darts on TV already, I want coits with Phil the Pipe and Mike ‘the hammer’ Johnson.

sobriety
    Free Member

What’s the betting that the BBC will get Spain, Spain, Abu dhabi, Bahrain, Hungary, Singapore, Turkey, China, India and Malaysia, while sky get Monaco, Montreal, Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Australia, Nurburgring, Brazil, Japan and Korea…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I won’t be paying Murdoch et al an extra penny for it either.

It does also irk me that the BBC will no doubt manage to fill the vacant slots with darts, bowls and more snooker.

uplink
    Free Member

Seriously Silverstone got 250,000 people in it on the Sunday to watch it?.

No that was Saturday and Sunday combined, there were even more if you include the practice days

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to agree with Binners again, there is a possibility that before long all sports will disappear, as each one becomes the popular one they will charge more & then fall off the cliff.

The upside is that there will be more soap operas & reality tv programs as they are cheaper to produce, so I will be able to get away without watching tv & will have more time to do other stuff.

I am not sure I could get into watching local sports on tv, I think it is necessary to have people or teams to follow over a period of time to get long term fans, anyway if they were local I would prefer to stand in a field and watch them

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tell me, have they tried biofuels yet?

Not in F1 but I believe they have in the Le Mans 24hr

Edit – yep – there you go. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/06/audi-bringing-b/

Mounty_73

One less crap thing to watch on the BBC then, IMO !

mashiehood
    Free Member

Brundle on twitter – BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I’m out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed

F1 Teams also seeking details from Bernie – I’d be amazed if this was all done behind closed doors without any consultation with teams, sponsors etc.

Gutted, but will never subscribe to the Murdoch empire.

uplink
    Free Member

Wonder what they’ll fill the gap with? Eastenders omnibus probably

Be sure about one thing, the beeb are taking something away, they won’t be replacing it with anything new

DrJ

Wonder what they’ll fill the gap with?

based on the current schedule, they are aiming to make the BBC into a 24hr “selling old crap in auctions” channel.

Mounty_73

What I should have really said was…

One less thing to watch on the crap BBC! 😉 The quality of the stuff they show these days is shocking!

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone who voted for the Tories shouldn’t really be complaining about this.

Count it as a blessing and go for a bike ride instead of watching it on a Sunday morning.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Junkyard
    How much per year must it cost the BBC to show including travelling etc when only about 4-5 million watch it ? It is not universally popular even if it is on here.

You say 4-5 million like it is a small number. If you get more than 4m you’re in the top 40 most watched shows in a week, and the top 20 is almost exclusively Corrie, Eastenders and Emmerdale. The British Grand Prix had 4.89m viewers (on a Sunday lunchtime!!) with 42% share of the total TV audience, putting it at 25th place for the week.

Mounty_73

There are far more interesting things to be doing than watching crappy old tv anyway…get out and ride………the sun is shining…well almost!

giddyrob
    Free Member

Yo,

yep, waking up to this this morning was not good. I hate sky so much and dont want to pay for a whole channel just to watch one good sport on there!

I have set up an fb group to encourage people to boycott the sky subscription and to discuss their thoughts. Please join here and lets hit murdoch where it hurts…. his wallet!

boycott f1 on sky

Cheers

Rob

Junkyard
    Free Member

You say 4-5 million like it is a small number.

that is because i though it was till you whacked me with those inconvenient facts whilst making a relevant point 😳

paul-thomas
    Free Member

The teams don’t seem to mind loosing thousands of viewers who can’t afford the £50 a month for Sky…

Williams chairman Adam Parr said what teams lose in widespread television viewing figures could be gained in an increased revenue from Sky

CaptJon
    Free Member

Here you go Junkyard – BARB viewing figures

Junkyard
    Free Member

what prove me wrong then attempt to enlighten me 😯 that is not the STW way can we not just have as spat instead?
    That is a lot [miles really] smaller than what I would have thought for viewing figures.

Cheers

giddyrob
    Free Member

I would rather F1 had its own channel and I’ll pay for that if it ain’t stupid money.

I hate sky and the freak that runs it!

phil.w
    Free Member

You say 4-5 million like it is a small number.

As you’ve shown it ranks well, you still need to factor the cost in though. As this shows what value it really has.

Once you’ve done this what is the cost per viewer per hour?

uplink
    Free Member

You do have to wonder at some of the costs they incur

The public spending watchdog singled out the BBC’s construction of a £250,000 studio in Vienna for the Euro 2008 football championships because the one allocated did not have a backdrop of the city skyline.

giddyrob
    Free Member

on the up side there’s more than one way to skin a cat! I’ll miss the beeb coverage, but I’m sure in this digital age I’ll figure a way of watching it!

I managed to watch the bbciplayer in NZ so sure there will be ways of doing it. Would rather just enjoy it on the beeb, but if Murdoch the butt hole of the planet wants the air we breath I guess it’ll have to be this way!

I have literally got all my fingers and toes crossed that all the poor people out there with cancer can somehow figure out a way of passing it all to that man! Rid the world of cancer and rid the world of him! Amen!

uplink
    Free Member

Again, Murdoch doesn’t own BSkyB

giddyrob
    Free Member

my comment still stands 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

As you’ve shown it ranks well, you still need to factor the cost in though. As this shows what value it really has.

Once you’ve done this what is the cost per viewer per hour?

Supposedly it costs the BBC £40m a year under the current deal. We don’t know what the extra costs are so let’s ignore them. I can’t be arsed to go through my back issues of Broadcast to find the figures, but let’s assume F1 on the BBC gets an average audience of 3m for the race and 1m for qualifying.

4m x 19 = 76 million viewers @ £40m a year that is 50p per viewer (with the caveats above, online viewers and ignoring income from selling commentary.

50p per viewer is pretty meaningless, however, without anything to compare it to.

According to Autosport from the team directors aren’t happy about this move and are consulting the Concorde agreement.

Brundle is out of contract from the end of 2012.

Helios
    Free Member

well Rupert Murdoch got Cameron in power of course he expects his payment
    bskyb profits massively up today
    I’m glad i never pay a penny to his tv or his papers , sadly a lot of people do

You know that their profits are DOWN today right? By 15%… Down, as in, the opposite of up…

Junkyard
    Free Member

news corporation own a 39.1 % controlling stake though.
    Murdoch was CEO then his son.
    They may not own it but he is the boss
    I am sure he has good lawyers and complies with all that is asked but he does run it even if he does not own it outright

phil.w
    Free Member

50p per viewer is pretty meaningless, however, without anything to compare it to

I can help out there,
    Per viewer hour ‘9.7p for Casualty’ and ‘3.5p for EastEnders’.

As you said there are lots of other costs to factor in but I would be interested to know how it compares.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘So the beeb lose another sport!!’ is closed to new replies.