• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by J-R.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So sorry…anyone tried Specialized butchers?
  • icarus
    Free Member

Want some all round winter tyres for my rigid singlespeed winter bike.Has anyone tried these please?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yep.. they are pretty good. Easy to set up tubeless too.

chrismac

Yes great tyre, easy to be tubeless and thier passing resemblance to a maxxis minion is no coincidence, the same guy designed them!

colournoise

(Like other Spesh tyres IME) not the strongest sidewalls, but relatively light, plenty grippy and easy to set up tubeless.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Yes, very good all round front tyre. I’d be worried about them not lasting long on the back though because they’re very soft. On my HT for winter it’ll be a Butcher up front and a Maxxis Beaver 2.25 on the back.

Northwind

They’re not that soft a rubber tbh, last pretty well. Wish they were softer tbh or there was a supertacky version!

Great tyres though. Not fast rolling or very tough, but light and grippy, fantastic tread pattern. And good in all but the slimiest or sloppiest of mud. Er, a wee bit more slidy than some competitors on wet roots and rocks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a look online for your local spesh dealer, mine has butchers at 2 for £45 just now.

VanHalen

I find em more slippery on wet roots than a 60a minion. Which suprised me.

A decent dry tyre. But I’ll go back to minions once I’ve worn out mine.

Northwind

Hmm, depends… As long as the tread’s clear on a minion it grips well but they suck up much more mud than a butcher because of the closer/bigger blocks. I reckon on average they work better than any of the minions in the wet, just for that reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice for mixed conditions with a Purgatory on the rear (29er verstion tested).

Grid version has strongest carcass, no flats yet (touch wood) and work well tubeless.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Reasonable combination of weight, rolling resistance and grip levels from me.

I run a Butcher Control front & Purgatory Grid on the back. Bit of a pain in 650 as Spec UK don’t bring in many of the ‘Control’ carcass so I had to hunt in Germany for them.

The Butcher Grid is heavy for what it is – The Minion 3C EXO is lighter, and gripper, and rolls just as well 🙂

pushuprich
    Free Member

Great knarly tyre, keep well away from wet roots, almost cost me a collar bone, swapped to this from hans Dampf for winter, will go back for now…… Ouch!!!! 😥

Tracey

We are running controls on the front and Purgatory controls on the rear. Throughout the winter and this summer incuding a long trip to the Alps. Great tyres for grip and price. Sidewalls have been ok with no rips or cuts, will be replacing with the same when they wear out.

grum
    Free Member

I used to be a big fan but tore a hole in the sidewall on a brand new one in the Yorkshire Dales which has put me off slightly.

scud91hilite
    Free Member

Have the butcher up front and captain at the rear (drier months).
    Not a bad all round tyre the butcher. I have found it breaks away early compared to my old minion..although very predictable when it does.
    I would if I were you look at the storm for winter. I use them all winter and ride every thing on them…best winter tyre I’ve run and far better than the butcher in mud, wet roots and general slime.
    I’m 90kg and never had a prob with them burping or any side wall ripping.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-enduro-elite-650b-a-quick-review

Had a go on some in the Land of My Fathers the other day, front only, though.

Was very, very good. Predictable grip, and good braking traction.

enigmas
    Free Member

Worth noting the Grid & dh versions use a softer rubber than the control version (42a vs 50a off the top of my head). I definitely noticed an improvement in grip going over wet roots switching to a grid casing tyre.

Can’t really fault the grid butcher and use it all year round. Only stuff it really suffers in is properly claggy mud, the sort nothing short of a super tacky wetscream will grip in, so it doesn’t bother me too much!

J-R

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what would people say is best for wet roots?

Or least bad, anyway?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So sorry…anyone tried Specialized butchers?’ is closed to new replies.