Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So – pressure gauges and presta valves
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Discovering two things the hard way:
    1. Track pump gauges ain’t too hot
    2. Plus tyres have a pretty narrow ‘works well’ pressure window

So I’ve decided I need to invest in a pressure gauge.

Presta valves, not fussed between analogue and digital.

Any recommendations?

mocha
    Free Member

Schwalbe do one that seems okay. Little blue digital one.

rocketman
    Free Member

Topeak D2 is pretty good in a repeatable but not necessarily accurate kind of way

Entertaining how the auto power off is just fractionally shorter than the amount of time it takes to screw the valve back in, put the cap on and move to the other wheel

NormalMan

Accu gauge analogue.

0-30psi model. Look on ebay. With shipping comes out at around £18.

ferrals
    Free Member

My SKS one is wildly tempermental, i wonder if its got a bit of sealant in it. Changed battery but still bad, wouldnt recommedthat one

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Topeak D2 is pretty good in a repeatable but not necessarily accurate kind of way

Entertaining how the auto power off is just fractionally shorter than the amount of time it takes to screw the valve back in, put the cap on and move to the other wheel

Glad it’s not just me then, this does make me laugh. I’m so close to getting a second reading but am not quite there yet. One day, maybe

mrblobby
    Free Member

Topeak D2 here, seems ok. I do both wheels before screwing the valves back in 🙂

Northwind

I have a D2 and an accugage, I only use the D2.

As mentioned, the D2 isn’t accurate; I have 2 and they read differently, which is annoying. But it’s precise, and that’s the more important thing, it doesn’t matter if you have exactly 15psi, you just want to be able to make it the same every time.

pdV6
    Free Member

Does it really matter though? So long as you know what your gauge (be it separate or built in to your pump) reads when the pressure’s right for your bike/tyre/trail combination is…

JoeG
    Free Member

Schwalbe +1.

However, it has the same timing problem as the Topeak… 😐

trailwagger
    Free Member

My SKS one is wildly tempermental, i wonder if its got a bit of sealant in it. Changed battery but still bad, wouldnt recommedthat one

I have one of these and its great.

belugabob
    Free Member

Remove both valve caps, unscrew both valve locks, check both tyre pressures, screw down both valve locks, re-fit both valve caps, put away pressure gauge (which will have shut off, by now)

😉

oink1
    Free Member

+1 for the Accu 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thanks all. After a bit of research going to try a D2. As it does shocks too I figure it’s a good tool to have.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So – pressure gauges and presta valves’ is closed to new replies.