Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • So, my cousin goes to his first ever air show…..
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My Orcadian cousin goes to visit some relations in Canada. The brother of the guy he's staying with is the pilot of this F18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV_VVXucdQc&feature=related

cynic-al
    Free Member

😮

TheFlyingOx

Is it me, or are a disproportionate amount of aircraft lost at airshows?

EDIT: thank **** your cousin's mate ejected 😯

mcmoonter
    Free Member

He ended up in hospital, but he's ok. Luckily he didnt eject into the fireball.

TheFlyingOx

I think the hospital thing is a formality, as the force of the rocket propelled ejector seat compacts your spine. Hopefully this is the case with the guy in Canadia.

My buddy is a nav at RAF Leuchars, and he tells me of a guy there who's not allowed to fly anymore. He's ejected twice, and is now 3" shorter than when he joined up.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It's better than it used to be. At one time with explosive charge ejector seats you were virtually garuanteed to end your flying career with ejection.

This guy is understandably bitter about the delay in introducing improved systems.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

He's ejected twice.

Not sure the RAF would want to give him another plane 😕

trailmonkey

That'll teach him for showing off

fontmoss
    Free Member

ox i heard the same from a raf lad, scary biscuits but then it's prob something they tell all civvies 🙁

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Watched Jeremy Clarkson's "Speed" on Dave t'other week.

He did a bit on ejector seats.

Apparently 1 in 8 ejector seats fitted have been 'used in anger'

This rose to a peak off 1 in 2 during Vietnam.

They are all made by a UK company, and they issue any one who ejects with a special tie!

And the height loss is well documented : s

fontmoss
    Free Member

And the height loss is well documented : s

snow white is full of shit

singletrackmind

Martin Baker?

cynic-al
    Free Member

A NI taxi driver told me ejector seats are made there.

trailmonkey

what for, people who throw up in the cabs ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh

nickc

Not all. The Russians (obviously) make their own, as do the yanks (aces II) I think the French do as well.

The spine compression thing is not universally true, although it does happen, My father had to bang out of a Javelin and a Lightening, and he's still the same height. He has no hearing, and Adrenalin palsy, but his back's ok… 🙄

PJM1974
    Free Member

@nick C

It's called "Lightning"

The USAF and US Navy both use Martin Baker seats.

That may be a surprise, but US aircraft contain many foreign designed components, notably Israeli built too.

notlocal
    Free Member

I used to pack parachutes for ejection seats when I was in the RAF. It was common practice for an ejectee to bring a crate of beer each to the guys who had packed the 'chute, and serviced the ejection seat. I remained gratefully sober. It's the scariest moment of your career hearing that a jet has "gone in", waiting to hear if the crew got out, AND if the seat and 'chute had operated as planned.

I only had one set of parachutes used, but unfortunately due to altitude and a massive wave (according to the investigation the aircraft hit the wave) the crew did not survive.*doffs cap, and bows head*

nickc

The USAF and US Navy both use Martin Baker seats.

Not exclusively, The F16 uses Aces II for instance. It's a plane by plane thing rather than a policy. Although I have a suspicion that it wasn't massively popular… certainly the F22 has an ACES fitted

It's called "Lightning"

It was late, shoot me… 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Apparently when you succesfully eject via a Martin Baker seat you get presented with a Martin Baker tie.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, you can't accuse the guy in the video of ejecting too early. Another 1/2 second and he'd have not made it out I don't think…

JulianA
    Free Member

What on earth went wrong there?

Glad he's OK!

Reminds me of the Russian (I think) guy, who banged out at Farnborough and his 'chute was inflated by the explosion from the crashed aircraft.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@Nick C

Sorry, it was late when I replied!

You are of course correct…

nickc

It's cool. PJM, no worries

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pilot+survives+fiery+fighter+crash+Alberta/3315220/story.html

There's a bit more footage here, ironic choice of music on the PA.
    One of the engines failed. 30m above the ground when his 'chute opened. My house is nearly higher.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘So, my cousin goes to his first ever air show…..’ is closed to new replies.