Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So I've just finished watching the wire….
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

And wow

Been meaning to watch it for years but thanks to some super lack lustre tv lately I finally got around to it.
    I found it a little slow to begin with but found myself really liking some of the characters, stringer was brilliant from the start, as was the bunk Omar was an amazing character and my favourite by far.
    Some of the deaths came as a real suprise particuarly (spoiler) …… At the start of season two and …. In season five.
    Would love to see more of this show.
    Despite some people claiming season five jumped the shark I thought it was very strong.

So the real reason for my post is what should I fill the tv shaped gap in my life that this has left with?

I’m a fan of dexter, game of thrones have seen lost 24 galactica, sgu
    I havnt yet seen the sopranOs is it worth the watch ?
    What else can you recommend to me that is up there with the wire and some of the shows above.

Sorry for the disjointed post and any spelling or grammatical errors I’m using my iPhone.

mrdestructo
    nicko74

Season 5 was a bit of a disappointment, I thought – it really stepped outside what was believeable based on what had gone before. But still, as a whole it’s hard to beat.

If you haven’t seen the Sopranos, you should – it was the template for so many HBO Series. It gets a bit slow round the middle (Steve Buscemi brightens up S4, but S3/5 can be a bit of a drag depending how much you’re watching at once).
    The Shield is pretty gripping, but quite different in its approach. Again, S2 gets a bit slow, but from then on out it really goes from strength to strength.

Mad Men’s patchy, really not as good as the above, but still worth watching.

emmodd
    Free Member

+1 misfits. Being Human is amazing too.

jwmlee
    Free Member

The Sopranos is great but nothing beats The Wire. Genius.

loddrik
    Free Member

Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic at the moment (second series) is outstanding, well worth checking out.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Misfits is outstanding.

also Generation Kill was made by some of the same production team as the Wire.

Walking Dead, True Blood maybe but that’s a bit hit and miss. I hear good things about Boardwalk Empire.

There’s a great mini series called The Company, CIA answer to tinker tailor. Homeland is very good too, very much the anti-24.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Agreed that 5 stretched it a bit but still great.
    Totally up to date with being human latest season despite my initial fears was still brill.
    I’ll check out misfits
    And just starting on sopranos now

emmodd
    Free Member

First series of prison break excellent too.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Also true blood is very good but a little daft at times.
    I quite fancy homeland

cynic-al
    Free Member

WD and TB. I find Sopranos OK.

6 feet Under is different but amazing IMO

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Generation Kill and Treme both have David Simon on the writing credits and are each very good and very different. Generation Kill I found more enjoyable and its just a mini series.

Other stuff you should check out.

Breaking Bad – No excuses! Watch this!

Boardwalk Empire is excellent and last season finished brilliantly.
    Boss has got off to a promising start.
    Homeland seems interesting.
    Sons Of Anarchy is ok, not so deep but still good.
    The Shield is great.

kimbers

most of the above
    sopranos definately
    breaking bad too
    deadwood excellent, lovejoy steals the show!
    justified isnt bad
    sons of anarchy is a bit cheesey but fun
    diito for Oz
    and the new battlestar galactica is brilliant tv

Gribs

Breaking Bad. You’ll have to download it but it’s almost perfect.

vorlich
    Free Member

Loved the Wire. Check out Deadwood.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Deadwood that’s a new one on me
    I’m upto date with breaking bad awesome show, gus was brilliant.
    Prison break very enjoyable as was walking dead
    Not seen or heard much about boardwalk so I’ll add that to the list.

grum
    Free Member

Breaking Bad is the best thing I’ve seen apart from the Wire I think – sort of think they should have left it where it ended but very interested to see what happens next. Sopranos is also really excellent.

I’ve also enjoyed BSG, and Game of Thrones has been great so far.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Agree about season 5 of The Wire, but still loved it overall. You should definitely check out Breaking Bad – really, really good. I’m assuming you’ve already seen Band of Brothers? Another classic.

I absolutely loved the two pilot episodes for BSG, and the first series was good, but thought it lost its way a bit towards the end. Continuing the space theme, albeit on a much lighter note, Firefly is well work a look. Really well written and pretty damn funny too.

_tom_
    Free Member

Breaking Bad is my favourite series. Tops The Wire and The Sopranos imo.

DavidB
    Free Member

Also consider The Shield

I am a big Wire, BB, sopranos and Deadwood fan and The Sheild is doing it for me as well, currently on season two

rwc03
    Free Member

Treme is great, from the makers of the wire. Another vote for breaking bad, can’t wait for the next series.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Sopranos is king..

Northwind

Oz! First 2 series at least, it started to unravel a little as it went on and tbh I can’t remember exactly what point it stopped being the best thing on TV, but it definately didn’t happen til after the end of series 2. Better’n the Wire IMO.

Probably worth a look at Homicide: Life on the Streets too. And echo Sopranos, Firefly… Six Feet Under maybe? I got bored of it but the first couple of series were engaging

benjbish

All of the above basically.

The Shield, Generation Kill, Breaking Bad and Treme. All worth it!

Oh, and, Sons of Anarchy.

stanfree
    Free Member

The Wire Is the greatest TV show ever make no mistake , the characters that died early on way surpass the principal characters of most TV shows.

SPOILERS…SPOILERS….SPOILERS…

Who in there right mind would have killed off De , Wallace , Frank Sobotka , Stringer , Omar to name but a few.

Breaking Bad is on a par and The Sopranos a close third.

That said Sons of Anarchy and Homeland are also excellent , seems a shame britain cant compete with the yanks.

oldboy
    Free Member

The Wire was the best thing I’ve ever seen on TV (but had to watch it with sub-titles!) The Sopranos was be a very close second.

jota180
    Free Member

but had to watch it with sub-titles!

Your ear becomes tuned to it after a couple of episodes

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the sopranOs is it worth the watch

Yes. That would be my #2 show of all time. Just watched the first two seasons of breaking bad – good, butvnotbin the same league.

Very different but we are just hitting season 3 of Arrested Development for the second time. More mi.nor loss of wee moments than any other show.

wrecker
    Free Member

Breaking bad is awesome. I’ve enjoyed the shield, sons of anarchy and justified too.

mcboo
    Free Member

I watched Boss season one on a plane recently, Kelsey Grammer is tremendous, very scary guy….who would have though that?

Am I the only one to have seen Bodies? Very dark (and funny) British drama set in the NHS. Max Beasley, Keith Allen, great cast. It was tucked away on BBC4 so hardly anyone watched it. Must see.

grum
    Free Member

Who in there right mind would have killed off De , Wallace , Frank Sobotka , Stringer , Omar to name but a few.

You should try reading the Game of Thrones books!

warpcow
    Free Member

You just made David Simon cry a little, or call you a moron and threaten to punch your lights out. Whichever.

Can’t add much to the above suggestions, but I’ll second Justified. It took a few episodes to pick up but has been consistently excellent ever since. That along with Breaking Bad, Treme, and Homeland are my favourite ongoing shows right now.

scud
    Free Member

If you liked the wire, have the you seen the mini-series “The Corner”, it is the prequelish to the Wire, same writers, same city and many of the same charachters. It is about 8 episodes and each episode follows one charachter.

Not as good, but interesting to see the development and story arcs.

It’s funny i much prefer english and european films to US, but much prefer US TV?

Did any one see the french series on FX channel called Braquo? Very good cop drama.

scud
    Free Member

PS – Check over in the classifieds for a few DVD boxsets of some of the above for sale.

binners

Generation Kill is the natural progression from the Wire. Same writers. Same brilliantly developed characters. You’ll recognise Ziggy’ from series 2 of the Wire, who plays an even more mental role!

We’re right into Dexter at the moment. Half way through the second series. Its great!

paulo6624
    Free Member

Dexter goes from strength to strength with the exception of the last series (5or6 I can’t remember) which was mediocre compared to previous seasons but still better than almost anything else currently on the box, IMO it’s right up there with the wire, but of course a totally different type of show.

Had not come accross the corner I’ll definatley search for that.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dexter is ok, season 1 was the best followed by season 4 imo. I still watch it religiously though 😆

scuttler

Homeland. The key element is that the plot revolves around Taylors of Harrogate’s ‘York-shyre’ Gold Tea. The goodies drink it and the baddies don’t – they drink Frappa-cappa-soya-lattes.

The goodies will be bombing around on Orange 5’s next.

MrTall
    Free Member

I watched the Wire last year when they ran series 1-4 back to back on FX. Annoyingly though they stopped at series 4 and 5 was never shown again. Anybody got any clue whether or not it’ll be aired again soon?

I have series 2 of Treme to watch at some stage on Sky+ but was non plussed at the first series (not really a fan of the music) and also have American Horror Story to get through as well.

I’m a big Breaking Bad fan and watched it from the very start on FX but then it seemed to disappear off the air and get put on at stupid times. Ended up buying an ebay DVD of the 3rd series as it didn’t appear to be on in the UK? Anybody know if series 4 is to be shown here (or have i missed it)?

At least Dexter has started again now which is ace (despite a few series being a bit weak – but still better than most tripe on TV).

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Good work on the Breaking Bad recommendations – I’ll get it downloaded.

However, I can’t believe nobody has mentioned West Wing.

Pfft.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So I've just finished watching the wire….’ is closed to new replies.