Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So I've found the logger, what do I do now!
  • mastakillah
    Free Member

So after months and months I’ve found out who has been putting branches, logs and other items across the local “cheeky” trails. Admittedly I know I shouldn’t be on them. They are not bridleways or footpaths. But they are trails that I’ve walk on for 30 years and ridden on for the past 10 years. So is there anything I can do?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t ride on them.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Stick a note up up saying you know who’s doing it and if any harm comes to a walker or biker they’ll be criminally responsible. I have no idea if that would be true or not, but it might scare them off.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Put a stick across their doorstep each morning.

rene59
    Free Member

Wait for a freeze and pour a bucket of water over their doorstep.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Yep, I like that idea. Lol

singlespeedstu

Keep moving the sticks and carry on as normal.
    It takes more effort to put them there than move them…

Drac

Put ramps over them.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’m liking the stick on the doorstep approach too……….

mastakillah
    Free Member

just thought maybe I should surround his car with logs.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I suspect you need do nothing and the placing of logs will now stop, assuming they know you know

igm

Bunnyhops

sparkerfix

Where abouts? Sounds like a trail in our area too.

Kuco

Drop a log off every morning on their door step but just remember to wipe your bum properly when you have finished.

teethgrinder

Not Lance Moore in Chopwell by any chance?

Move logs out of way.
    Tie fine fish hooks to them with fine line so they can’t be seen.
    Spread poop on hook points.
    Wait.

parkesie
    Free Member

Log on his door step. Paper bag and fire optional.

mastakillah
    Free Member

It’s in North Leeds, Yorkshire. It seems as its on the rise everywhere. I’m guessing there’s a forum with walkers talking about how to put things across trails!

garage-dweller

Branch out and log onto a walking forum. See if they twig…

CountZero

Just print off a bunch of signs saying “To the person obstructing this trail, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE” and staple them to each log or branch after you’ve moved it out of the way.
    If you actually do, leaving a branch on their front doorstep on a regular basis really out to freak them out!
    Maybe make some of those little Blair Witch stick figures and hang those up outside their front door!

DrP

Or..put their name and address on the log. Let others do your dirty work…

DrP

wwaswas

I’d just put laminated photos of them up along paths saying ‘beware this person is trying to injure people’.

Or call the Police if you have evidence- if they really believe there’s intent to injure then whether it’s on a route you should be riding or not it’s still an offence.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If I knew then person, and if I’d been caught out (knocked off) by one of these then I too would pour the name and address of the person on a few of the logs, in plastic bags, for all to see.

globalti
    Free Member

I like the idea of putting logs across his driveway. It’s non-confrontational but should put the frighteners on him.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    I like the idea of putting logs across his driveway. It’s non-confrontational but should put the frighteners on him.

What a fantastic idea, you should do this.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ideally place them so they are clearly visible, easily moved and done without causing any damage or trespassing on their property.
    If they’re petty enough to be trying to block trails to bikes, you can guarantee they’ll be getting police involved etc.

stayhigh

garage-dweller – Member

Branch out and log onto a walking forum. See if they twig…

Chapeau 😆

Stevet1
    Free Member

Go and ask them why they are putting logs across the trail?

FuzzyWuzzy

Who owns the land? If it’s not stickman maybe ask the land owner for their view on you riding there? If it is stickman then stop riding there.

jimslade
    Free Member

How did you find out who it was? I’ve been having a battle with one of these people for the last few months, except my nemesis is blocking a bridleway.

ajf
    Free Member

North Leeds? Whereabouts, roughly obvs as it is still a path at end of day 🙂

Be good to know where I should be looking out for trail tampering. Even if it is slightly cheeky.

Actually always wondered the law on something that is not a footpath or a bridleway. I understand not allowed to ride on paths without owners consent, but undefined trails is surely different?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are you permitted onto the land the path is located? If so, by whose permission?
    Surely if you have no permission to be on the land, then whether walking or riding is irrelevant.
    If you have permission to be on the land, has the landowner expressly forbidden cycling? Or has the logger decided for themselves what is permitted?

medoramas
    Free Member

When do they “commit the crime”?

If it’s evenings:
    1. Go there a bit earlier.
    2. Hide.
    3. Wait for them to start working.
    4. Put a big white sheet over yourself and walk out slowly from behind the tree/bush.

They will never enter the woods again.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Put up ‘Wanted’ posters up showing a photo of the logs blocking trails and a picture of a crash victim, preferably a small child. Reward for information leading to the identification and possible prosecution of this individual.

I was putting the second one of these up in Lordswood a few years ago when a harmless looking woman with a couple of Labradors asked what I was doing. I explained about the danger that this person was creating and that after reporting it to the police they had suggested I get the persons identified. She went a bit white and said it was a fuss about nothing but was sure it wouldn’t continue. Denied it was her but the trails were log free for a while.

Started again since then though. Normally dog walkers who don’t like bikes riding through THEIR DOGS toilet.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@jimslade As it’s a bridleway have you reported this to your local rights of way officer they can and do take such things serioulsy

jekkyl

yeah go and speak to her/him, go pro it, share it on youtube and link it up here. No actually going to speak to them would be the best idea as it would let them know you know who they are and where they live, be a tiny bit physically indimidating (menacing eyes?) and if they’re a little older it’ll likely stop.

jimslade
    Free Member

@leftyboy,

I will now, hadn’t thought of that, too busy swearing to myself in the woods. I am starting to have a bit of respect for the mystery lumberjack though, this morning it was an almost full tree, we may be dealing with Big Foot.

theotherjonv

except my nemesis is blocking a bridleway.

I had the same albeit on a footpath. I left a note saying that while me riding a footpath is technically trespass and a civil offence between me and the landowner, deliberately blocking a public right of way is a criminal offence and if it continued would be reported as such to the authorities.

It stopped shortly after.

mastakillah
    Free Member

So the land is owned by the council(one of those big green areas given to the public by some fat cat years ago). It has several bridleways and public footpaths through it. It also has many unmarked trails through it, the two I ride have been there at least 30 years(I used to walk them as a kid)
    I tried talking to him, he just started getting aggressive and swearing at me! He called me a f’ing little bastard, which made me laugh (I’m 40) Laughing at him definitely helped! Told him that yes I was aware I shouldn’t be there but it was none of his business and that I was pretty sure he shouldn’t be either. He didn’t like that either for some reason.
    I see him all the time, but he’s never said anything before. The whole area was muddy all hell on Sunday, think this must of push him over the edge.
    I think next time I will let him know what he is doing is a criminal offence. Also I’ll try and get a photo of him. If I’m feeling brave I might try and get his phone number if it is on his dogs dog collar. Then posters in some plastic sleeves if he continues.
    Sticks on the driveway/doorstep are still number one, although I’d considered having a large amount of logs delivered to his house if I ever find out where he lives.

dirtyboy

Buy a copy of stickman the kid’s book and post it through the letter box

CountZero

It also has many unmarked trails through it, the two I ride have been there at least 30 years(I used to walk them as a kid)

Isn’t there some sort of established principle whereby any unofficial path in regular use for more than twenty years becomes a de facto right of way?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So I've found the logger, what do I do now!’ is closed to new replies.