Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So, I'm off to Snowdonia for a week with the family. Advice on top trails to hit
  • onedpete
    Free Member

As the title. We are off up to Snowdonia at the weekend for a week and I’m allowed to take the bike (and board, as I’m doing a sesh at SurfSnowdonia, see just how rubbish it actually is!!) i am also hoping to check out some of the best riding up there too, but will have to prioritise as its not a riding holiday as such, more a family holiday avec bike 😀
    I’ve never actually ridden north wales, just lots of cwmcarn, Afan and everything at bpw. I would love to hike a bike Snowdonia at some point, but would be doing it solo, unless anyone local wanted to join me that is…Think I’m right in saying there’s a riding ban between certain hours though? What other trails/trail centres are a must? I’ve had Marin, Penmachno recommended so far…I’m into fast n flowy and steep n techy. Any advice or tips gratefully received, cheers 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Coed-Y-Brenin as it was one of the first trail centres in the UK, fair bit of history there. It’s better than the Marin trails.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

OP we just did Snowdon last month and it was well worth the 2.5hr schlep up… yes the ban is from 10am to 5pm (having said that and not sure whether the two chaps we saw pushing up the rangers path at 9.35am came down during the banned time I really hope not)

We left just before 7am and were at the summit at 9.15am… usual Llanberis up – Rangers down, the track from Telegraph Valley back is ace (watch the water bars) we had zero visibility at the top.

We also did Llyn Cowlyd and Llyn Crafnant which is a great day out a bit of everything views, climbs, bogs, and some great technical descents

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Loads here
    http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk
    Also Drum Mountain is a great ride.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’d take a trip up to Zipworld and do the fastest zip line there.

We did it and hit over 80mph!

onedpete
    Free Member

Thanks guys, great info. I was gonna go up Snowdon early doors, if weather plays ball, I might go super early, catch the sunrise and a hassle free descent. So you’re reckoning about 2.5 hrs up then? Is Rangers a goody then?Heard good things as long as you’re a fan of rocks, which I am! Im gonna be riding my Dixon so good for most stuff. I was wondering about Revolution BP, anyone been, any good or Antur looks sick, although I might be under biked for some of it…The natural loops sound great, just depends on how much time I’m given! Trail centre options are probably the easiest option for a few hrs of shredding!

onedpete
    Free Member

We are staying in Nantgwynant? A place called the nook Snowdonia btw…

hebridean
    Free Member

Just back from North Wales. Antur is a great place and there’s family things to do there too with the zip wire ad the mine and quarry trips. Also the slate railway.

Coed y Brenin is excellent, highly recommend that. Also nice blue trails if the family bike.

Revs needs a bit of planning if you’re riding mid week. Plenty of folk riding it with long travel trail bikes.

Great place to go biking, there’s trails everywhere you turn.

andysredmini
    Free Member

One of the best rides I have done in Snowdon is up the Llanberris path, Down the Rangers path then cross the road and up to the top of the Dinorwic Slate Quarry via a very long climb. Descend the various levels of the quarry by an obvious path. Its an amazing ride and the two halves are a good contrast. The slate quarry descent is flat out hairpins and so much fun.
    I have a .gpx file of the whole ride if you want it andysredmini at Hotmail dot com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So, I'm off to Snowdonia for a week with the family. Advice on top trails to hit’ is closed to new replies.