Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • so if you knew how to re-monetise the music industry…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

and it involved the participation of the worlds largest search engine and would give every artist a fair shot (excluding the marketing activity’s of the majors where applicable) and make everyone a lot of money. Who should I talk to? Eric Schmidt?

samuri
    Free Member

Can you patent the idea first? These big boys won’t take no prisoners. They’ll listen and then get security to throw you out before reaping the benefits.

Just make sure your plan includes shooting bono.

chvck
    Free Member

No-one, you’ll probably end up getting shot

MrNutt
    Free Member

great.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

People don’t want to pay for music and the majors know this. Have you also found a way to overcome that problem?

RichPenny
    Free Member

People don’t want to pay for music and the majors know this.

Some people do, clearly.

timc
    Free Member

People don’t want to pay for music and the majors know this. Have you also found a way to overcome that problem?

As Three Fish says, the horse has already bolted. Unless you have a way of reversing this trend I would have though you would need to be predicting the future to make everyone lots of money!

The problem is teenagers are now a generation that has never even lived with the concept of buying music, its been free for years & continues to be free in general…

timc
    Free Member

plus it already is a level playing field, just the players are of different standards…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Some people do, clearly.

You’re absolutely right; unfortunately, the number of people who do want to pay is problematically small.

Recorded music is becoming (has become?) little more than a calling card. Then it’s touring/gigs and merchandise to generate the real money. That’s not such an issue for already established bands, but for people starting out it’s a really shit place to be as it’s a very, very hard ladder to get on. Album deals are a thing of the past and artists are lucky to get 3-4 song deals, let alone 3-4 album deals – and even with that precious contract, there’s no guarantee that the artist is going to earn enough money to earn a living.

MrNutt, you have my sympathies; but if you want to be a professional musician you’re going to have to accept poverty as a way of life and be prepared to be gigging three or four nights a week, with at least one of them being for free.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spotify has been trying to develop a paid for model and is doing OK at very small amounts of money

MrNutt
    Free Member

P

eople don’t want to pay for music and the majors know this. Have you also found a way to overcome that problem?

yes

As Three Fish says, the horse has already bolted. Unless you have a way of reversing this trend I would have though you would need to be predicting the future to make everyone lots of money!

yes

MrNutt
    Free Member

its a spotify killer.

simonralli2
    Free Member

People don’t want to pay for music and the majors know this.

My CD went live 2 days ago and I have sold a copy already 🙂 So that’s one person who still wishes to pay for quality music!

timc
    Free Member

i think your going to have to do it before anyone on here thinks your anything but deluded… Out of interest, do you work in the Industry?

TheFlyingOx

…make everyone a lot of money…

Wait… I’m everyone!

Where do I sign?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can go to an art gallery and look at stuff for free. I can view facsimiles for free on tinternet.

Tell me why I should have to pay loads of money to listen to music live, or have a recording at home?

If gigs were a fiver, and CDs a quid, sweet. Bloody musicians think they’re so important they can charge silly money. Sod that; if you wanna play that game, I’ll illegally download and copy your music. Try and rip me off mercenary bastards I thought you did it for love well don’t take the piss then.

Next busker I see I’m having their pot. Shysters….

timc
    Free Member

Ignorance is Bliss hey Elfin…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh!

😀

xiphon
    Free Member

The music industry needs to adopt a different revenue structure…

I’ll download music for free – probably 50% of it I will bin within a month (equivalent to returning a CD for a full refund I might argue…), and the other 50% I will seek out gigs/nightclub events for it. I like seeing live music 🙂

With things like youTube allowing more up-and-coming bands/artists to get their music out on a massive international media platform, surely this can only be a good thing? Within a few days their music can go viral.

Maybe the days of manufactured shit pop music (think x-factor stylee) are coming to an end, as the record labels are less willing to back them with funding?

Drac

I can go to an art gallery and look at stuff for free. I can view facsimiles for free on tinternet. Tell me why I should have to pay loads of money to listen to music live, or have a recording at home?

Well next time your at the gallery take one of the pictures off the wall to take home and that’ll answer you question. Stop paying your ISP too and see if can get on the internet.

Yeah I know I bit an Elfin post.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

What do you mean re-monetise? All the successful artists are already multimillionaires. If millions of people are pirating your music, there are countless millions more paying for it and going to your concerts, so where is the problem?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well next time your at the gallery take one of the pictures off the wall to take home and that’ll answer you question.

Silly. Do you have the baynd perform live in your living room? No you don’t do you? So it’s a daft comparison.

molgrips
    Free Member

and it involved the participation of the worlds largest search engine and would give every artist a fair shot (excluding the marketing activity’s of the majors where applicable) and make everyone a lot of money

Speak to Google.

Are you talking about getting money from search hits in some way? If so, this would completely remove the need for large record labels, so you can expect some resistance from them I would think.

All the successful artists are already multimillionaires

Not all the good ones though. Because the record labels made this thing called ‘The Music Industry’ and it is a fickle beast. As we know it in NO way rewards actual talent or musical quality, it is about making money which can be done best by focusing on things other than the music.

philconsequence
    Free Member

If so, this would completely remove the need for large record labels

not really… large record labels invest the money artists dont have to promote the music so that people will know about the artist to search for them.

scottidog
    Free Member

Well most musicians produce their best music when they are poor so I like to help them out by pirating away. AHOY me hearties!

MrNutt
    Free Member

an interesting (and possibly irrelevant) point was made by a friend of mine the other day, he’s got a 5 piece band and the venue promoter (a shite) was trying to settle on a figure of less than £200 for a 1hr 40mins set of original material, his response was:

him: “do you know much about plumbers?”

venue: “erm, a bit, why?”

him: “how much do you think it would cost to get a plumber and four assistants out to do two hours work late on a Saturday evening then?”

venue: “gone knows, it wouldn’t be cheap”

him: “but you expect us all to come along, driving about 1hr round trip, bring all our kit, pack out your pub and entertain your punters for two hours, for peanuts?”

venue: fair point, £500 ok?

its all a matter of perspective.

and timc, I’m a recording & preforming artist.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Music as industry is shite.

molgrips
    Free Member

Google are the people most likely to listen to you.

However it’s probably already been thought of.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wouldnt expect to be able o take a picture off the wall of an art gallery, but I would be a bit miffed if they tried to charge me for taking a photo of one.

The other war to look at it is anything that would make all those bling bling losers a bit more skint is good in my book.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Surely the difference between calling out a plumber on a Saturday night and some band playing in a pub is the plumber will stop your house flooding with shit / get your water running / fix your boiler so your kids don’t freeze whereas a band is inconsequential and it doesn’t really matter whether they are there or not?

timc
    Free Member

loco_pollo – Member
    Surely the difference between calling out a plumber on a Saturday night and some band playing in a pub is the plumber will stop your house flooding with shit / get your water running / fix your boiler so your kids don’t freeze whereas a band is inconsequential and it doesn’t really matter whether they are there or not?

So why book the band then if you don’t need them 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

The band is unlikely to try and charge you £4k for a new boiler when all you need is a new expansion vessel.

In fact, most bands could probably do a better job at servicing a boiler than a plumber.

Lifer
    Free Member

With the technology we have today for media sharing there is no need for a music industry deciding which artists the public will like. A band can record a single/EP/album in their rehearsal studios for next to nothing, host in a variety of file types on somewhere like bandcamp and link to a paypal account. That’s the future (and for a lot of bands the present), bands to fans with no-one in between.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s the future, bands to fans with no-one in between.

And isn’t it the record companies and distributors doing most of the screaming regarding illegal downloads and refusing to drop the prices of cds and not the artist who does have alternative channels of distribution and sources of income?

DezB
    Free Member

Silly. Do you have the baynd perform live in your living room? No you don’t do you? So it’s a daft comparison

Too right its a daft comparison! If you think looking at a pretty pic is comparable to listening to a nice tune, well…

Anyway, Nutt needs Peter

MrNutt
    Free Member

he has enormous feet.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah cause his foray into the music industry went really well didn’t it!

timc
    Free Member

scottidog – Member
    Well most musicians produce their best music when they are poor so I like to help them out by pirating away. AHOY me hearties

Not really true is it

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah cause his foray into the music industry went really well didn’t it!
    😆

http://www.hamfatter.net/music.php (double 😆 )

Trimix
    Free Member

Demand sets the price, not the quality/quantity of the service/work.

The market is now flooded with music which can be had for free or little cost almost instantly. Thats an inevitability of opening up the way its distributed.

For ages bands have moaned about the market dominated by big record lables, now thats changed the price has fallen through the floor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘so if you knew how to re-monetise the music industry…’ is closed to new replies.