Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So if you had 1 week in Utah….
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

If work goes well I should hopefully be at a conference in Salt Lake/Orem at the start of October. For a few reasons including the obvious poor form to show in in plaster with gravel rash I’m thinking the week after would be good for biking.

Doing some quick research and a bunch of trails list the season through to mid September, is there a big shift in the weather over a month into October?

Moab looks like one of the must do spots so any tips on what to pick, would probably look at guided or point to point shuttles just to maximise the fun to logistics for a short trip.

Will be planning to take my bike with me (160/140 Blur LTc) as luggage shouldn’t be an issue.

Any other ideas, tips or thoughts? Happy to ride more technical and gravity trails but will probably skip a trip to the Rampage Canyon

TooTall
    Free Member

For the Moab area I can recommend Mike Holme who runs Magpie Cycling. He’s a Level 3 IMBA instructor, knows the area better than most and is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet. A pro at what he does and a top bloke:
    http://magpieadventures.com/moab-bike-tours/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers, looks interesting, just spied the conference will be in Park City which seems to have bike trail all over the place too.

Stu_N

Moab should be fine then, snow will be hitting the high Rockies though. Moab is great for 3 or 4 days – we were there sept ’13 and a lot more trails than in 2005 visit. The Whole Enchilada is phenomenal, shuttle up to La Salle mountains and then a 50k drop back to town. Also did Sovereign trial, didn’t have time for MBar stuff.

Fruita is also good, it’s just across the state line in Colorado. 18 Road and horsetheif bench were brilliant – hints and tips from the guys at Over the Edge. (Fruita is only about an hour from Moab)

You’ll probably need a hire car to get about but I guess you know that anyway!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah must dig the OtE T-shirt out from thier Oz Shop
    http://otesports.com/
    Looks spot on 🙂
    [video]http://vimeo.com/32878878[/video]

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for posting that video,looks great! 😀

djtom
    Free Member

Another vote for The Whole Enchilada – simply the best day of riding that I’ve ever had.

We did it at the very end of September, conditions then are pretty much perfect as there was snow at the top (but not too much), and then by the time we were back down towards town it was 33degC in the desert.

Worth doing Slickrock as well, just for the other-worldly weirdness of it and for the fact that it was always described as a mecca for mountain biking in MBR and MBUK when I started riding 20 years ago!

gribble
    Free Member

Park City is supposed to be amazing but I think it is borderline weather wise. I would look further south as there are loads of options (mentioned above ).

I would contact some of the guide companies who also organise all the shuttles etc so you can make the out of your ride time. Sounds like a cool trip…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers, Park City will just be for mid conference fun if it comes off maybe shaking some jet lag on arrival so the low stuff will probably be fine. Once I get the work nod I’ll see what I can get done, looks like no massive issues with another week that time of year.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I was snowed on in Park City in mid-Sept a couple of years ago so you may be pushing it to get any worthwhile riding in. Wasatch Crest trail is the go-to epic if you get the opportunity. There’s also another one (name escapes me) which drops down to Salt Lake City. There is a shuttle option for that but it may be summer (or weekend) only. Park City has a couple of very decent bike shops but they may be switching over to ski-season by October (you may get a bargain!) but they’ll have lots of local knowledge.

I’ve been to Moab about 8 times (usually late Sept/early Oct) and I’ve never managed to do the Whole Enchillada as it’s always snowed just before I arrived – but I’m generally unlucky with weather 🙁

I have, though, done everything other than the very upper section and,warning: the Whole Enchillada is spoiled by a huge amount of incredibly rough and boring jeep road in the middle section though the upper and lower parts are great

If I could only do one ride there, I’d choose the Hymassa/ Amassa Back/Pothole Arch/Rockstacker/Captain Ahab loops

BTW: there’s some epic road riding in the Moab area as well…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume that would be why the conference is at that time of year…

I’ll have to see if any of the guys from over there bike, might be good for some help too.

gribble
    Free Member

I have been lucky enough to ski in Park City, although never ridden there, but Moab 7+ times!!? Not at all jealous!

DavidB
    Free Member

I have, though, done everything other than the very upper section and,warning: the Whole Enchillada is spoiled by a huge amount of incredibly rough and boring jeep road in the middle section though the upper and lower parts are great

I rode it all in 2014 and don’t remember this at all. I think you are thinking back a fair few years before the upper sections were properly developed.

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden Porcupine rim, but if you’re there… don’t miss it. It’s the type of trail you’ll not find anywhere else. I thought i would get back to do more there, but that was 20yrs ago: I’ve yet to return. 🙁

Lardman.

lardman
    Free Member

slick rock is also worth looping, but not at the expense of a ‘proper’ trail.
    Maybe after tea if there’s light enough.

adsh
    Free Member

The whole enchilada appears to start high and descend 11,000feet. No mention is made of how you get to 11,000feet. I ask because the climbing is the bit that appeals!

nedrapier

The whole enchilada takes includes Porcupine Rim.

We went to Utah (South Utah National Parks and Moab) for out honeymoon in the middle two weeks of October and it was perfect. Chilly nights, warm to hot (but not ridiculous) days. We had two days on bikes, the Bar M trails for a warm up and so Mrs R could check she was fine on their idea of black – and to submit to my demands to do Porcupine Rim.

Call ahead to the rafting places and see if you can get a trip down Westwater Canyon, named ‘The West’s Best Short Whitewater Trip,’ as named by National Geographic magazine. Amazing day out.

nedrapier

There’s also another Fruita in Utah, an hour or three west of Moab. Cool little orchard in the middle if the desert to camp in, some great hiking and groovy geology, but not a lot of mountain biking. Something to bear in mind if you see a place called Fruita on the map and it’s not where you thought it would be!

DavidB
    Free Member

dash, most people take a shuttle. But you can ride up there, it is a lot of road from Moab then a loooong steep loose fire road climb to Burra Pass. I have done most of it and it was ok but not very interesting.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Park City is borderline at the end of September. Moab / Fruita should be fine. I’d look into hiring a car as even the trail heads near Moab are a bit of a slog in the heat of the day. Slickrock / Amasa back are both short hops but most other stuff is much more pleasant with a car..

I don’t remember a lot of jeep double track on the whole enchilada either. If I had a week these would be my trails..

Fruita – One afternoon on the Northern trails. Spend a night and then do Horsethief canyon area the next day. Drive to Moab in the afternoon (2hours)
    Then:
    Slickrock
    As much of the whole enchilada as you can manage given conditions. Porcupine rim is really good.
    Moab Brand trails are a bit more chilled but fun.
    Amasa Back to Captain Ahab

Online Utah trail guide – very useful

markgraylish
    Free Member

I rode it all in 2014 and don’t remember this at all. I think you are thinking back a fair few years before the upper sections were properly developed.

No, you’re talking about Hazard & UPS/LPS.

I rode it last October and I’m talking about the lower section from where the ‘original’ Porcupine Rim trail off Sand Flat Rd joins the ‘actual’ rim, and then points south – this section is open to motorized traffic and is flat-ish slabby rock, lots of chunder with some sandy sections. Granted, it’s not really ‘road’ as it’s mostly open county but it’s damn rough and not particularly interesting or challenging (apart from trying to avoid high-speed punctures).

I started at Warner Lake (with about 100+ other riders…all the shuttle buses seemed to turn up at the same time, disgorging ~12-15 riders each and there were plenty of buses but this was the same week as Outerbike). The top sections are brilliant, no doubt as is the lower section below the traffic management gate.

The lower section was sanitized a little in 2013 or 2014 but, IMHO, they’ve done a great job as it’s sooooo soooo fast and flowy now.

There’s also another Fruita in Utah, an hour or three west of Moab.

The Fruita you are thinking of is actually just over the border from Utah in Colorado…

nedrapier

The Fruita you are thinking of is actually just over the border from Utah in Colorado…

eh? was that for me?

I’m thinking about this one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruita,_Utah , warning against confusing it with the one everyone is talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruita,_Colorado because it would be a 4 hour, 400 mile mistake if he saw it on a map and drove west without remembering the CO part.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Yes, it was for you because I read your comment to imply both Fruitas are in Utah. I thought it worth clarifying that the “worthwhile” Fruits is actually in Colorado 😳

nedrapier

I can see the confusion now. Well he if he ends up in the wrong Fruita now, he’s got no-one to blame but himself!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thank you, much internet arguing 🙂 I do generally check what STW says before driving several hours…

nedrapier

😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So if you had 1 week in Utah….’ is closed to new replies.