Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • So I cancelled my sky and actually listened to stw!
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Best they offered on the phone was £53 for broadband, telephone, tv (including entertainment)

Also offered sky freesat ie no contract £10 per month which still allows you to use planner etc but not on demand.

50 minutes in I got them to cancel TV. 31 termination period in which I can ring back and reinstate package at £53.

I hope OP is right and I get a call / letter offering to do it cheaper!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bonkers amount of money to watch TV. I know a few folk that are over £100 a month for sky.

Cancel sky, then ride yer bike more/write a book/take up a new hobby/have more sex/worlds yer oyster…..

Drac

Just had a long phone call, they offered me £20 off for 6 months followed by a then 12 month tie in or £8 off for 10 months for no tie in. I’ve gone ahead with the cancellation and will wait to see if they call me back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What NoBeerInTheFridge said, I went back to living on my own for a short while, had a mobile phone for phone stuff and a 3G dongle to run the laptop (and iPlayer etc).

Cost less than the Miss’ insists we pay in line rental to BT :-s Then she* pays for sports, which costs more than going to down to the pub a couple of times a month and getting hammered. Most weekends she doesn’t even watch whatever game it is! and the weekends she does, we can’t go out and do anything because ‘we’ have t be back in time to watch the game.

And breath…………………

*well, we

Drac

I think that’s a problem your wife has not every person who watches TV.

Scamper
    Free Member

Paying a small fortune with Virgin, but not now under contract. However, will be moving in January. Is it a best tactic to still ring up and ask to leave and wait for the retention phone call or just leave anyway and start again at the new address? No doubt they will try and flog me `free’ set up at the new address.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’ll Drac I have to fess up. I cracked at a frankly ridiculous deal.
    Sunday night and pause rewind and all that shizzle had stopped working.
    I went in hard and got a result.
    Family pack extra with hd, sky movies, bband and line rental plus 50 quids cashback.
    All for…. 38 quid and no contact so I can cancel next month still if I want.

Drac

Aye I’m waiting to see what comes, I’ll be wanting the Sky+ features anyway but just waiting to see what they do.

redstripe
    Free Member

When I got made redundant earlier in the year I phoned up to cancel sky, after about 5 minutes of sticking to my guns, they dropped the price to £4.99 a month for all, for 12 months, must remember to check/cancel again when they try and stick it back up next year…

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m on Plusnet for broadband and phone and just cancelled Sky. I phoned them up to order Youview and they knocked £6 off my broadband and I took Youview for £8, plus BTSport for free for three months (can cancel at any time.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I found you needed a higher IQ than I have to understand their billing methods.

You agree to a package, then the figure comes back different. By the time you question it you have paid 3mths worth and you spend 20mins on the phone trying to get to the bottom of it. You find that the moons weren’t aligned correctly or the wind was blowing in a north easterly direction rather than the agreed south westerly. By this time you are pretty much suicidal and just accept your fate.

Or you cancel the agreement, stick to your guns and once everything calms down you actually feel just a little but cleaner having detoxed them out of your system.

The you get one back on them by getting one of these dodgy boxes, all the channels you can wish for in a one off payment and the only bill you have left is the cheapo broadband (Unlimited) that sky actually reduced in cost for some reason and the line rental.

After 2 mths it had paid for itself, and now its saving me about £60 per month

therag
    Free Member

Just cancelled mine after 15 years of £53 p/m for landline which I’ve never used, broadband & family package.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not had a magic letter yet 🙁 or phone call

Drac

Just got an email.

50% off for 12 months and £50 credit. 😀

Thanks folks.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

50% off for 12 months and £50 credit.

i got similar, TV Only, no contract, bit more credit, although id been left 3 months when they rang me, i don’t think I’m due to make a payment until August 2016, everything apart from Movies/Sports

dantsw13

If you want to do the whole thing in 30-40 minutes, go onto sky webchat to cancel. Don’t accept any offers they come up with, just get it cancelled. As soon as you have, look for the “have you left sky in the last 12 months” tab, and on a new webchat haggle until they offer you 60% discount for a year and £50’on account.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Best I ever got was 75% off and £50 credit. They couldn’t match it when up for renewal. We’ve been clean for 3 years and not looked back. Netflix (with US-Unblock) and iPlayer have pretty much changed our viewing habits.

Drac

That didn’t work the other day Dan.

eskay

I have just cancelled mine. I was on £39 per month, they offered £16 p/m for 10 months but that is still £160 for 10 months viewing. I told them to cancel it anyway.

It is just a shame that the Sky+ boxes I have won’t be able to record once the contract runs out.

Can anyone recommend a suitable subscription free replacement recording box?

therag
    Free Member

Disconnection date of 3rd January but no email yet. Best I start shopping around.

loddrik
    Free Member

As I type this I’m watching The Revenant in HQ on Kodi, a film that only came out on the cinema today. Tomorrow I plan to watch The Hateful Eight, which doesn’t come out in the cinema for a couple of weeks.

I binned my Sky subscription in August. Am I missing it? Nah…

therag
    Free Member

Still no email yet. I’ve been offered a £39.99 package but that’s for less channels than I get now, but better internet and keeping my old sky box.
    land line for £9.99
    Fibre Internet £10
    & sky basic package for £20.
    Anything better worth haggling for?
    Cheers

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just cancelled my £89 a month
    fibre, hd, phone, multi-room but not sport or films…

they tried it on for 68 a month (minus multiroom) for 10 months

lets see what happens..

wrightyson
    Free Member

You need to cancel the whole shebang to make it count…

freeridenick
    Free Member

yes sorry, not clear cancelled the whole lot (but did not have sport or films, just showing how much I paid for so little!)

13thfloormonk

Vaguely interested in trying this, I don’t really care about what we paying for the TV as that’s my girlfriend’s thing really and she subsidises my alchoholism via our joint account 😀

However, do you need to cancel everything including the broadband in order to force their hand, or is it just a case of cancelling all TV and sitting tight?

I keep arguing that all we need is netflix but there’s always *some* boxset she wants to watch on Sky which isn’t on Netflix 🙄

phead
    Free Member

>However, do you need to cancel everything including the broadband in order to force their hand, or is it just a case of cancelling all TV and sitting tight?

Just TV will do it. I only can get sky for ~8 months per year, the offers get more desperate the longer its off. They phoned and offered TV for a £2 increase, so £27 for line+fibre+TV. Oh and they refunded 2 months at full price , so £100.

IHN

I cancelled ours on Tuesday, they tried offers on the phone but nothing worth staying for. So, TV stops on the 12th Feb and I’ve started the changeover to Plusnet for the broadband. We’ll see if Sky ring and beg me to stay.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

We moved recently and if I’m honest there has been that much going on I’ve lost touch this past few months of what has been going out and just noticed I’m paying:

Variety with Sports – multiple items and discounts £54.70
    Sky Go Extra – including discounts FREE (whooppee)
    Sky Multiscreen – including discounts £9.00
    Sky+HD Pack £12.00
    Sky Fibre Unlimited – including discounts £10.00
    Sky Talk Line Rental – including discounts £13.05
    Sky Talk Anytime Extra £8.00
    Anonymous Caller Reject £4.00

Total £110.75

I felt a bit sick.

Can’t get Virgin and want to keep Sky for record/pause etc and F1. Just phone up and cancel and hope they buckle? I’d normally use the going to Virgin line but can’t this time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup just phone and cancel. They were on the phone to me in less than 48 hours IIRC.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just tell them you want to keep x,y, and z. But you can’t afford it, so think you may have to cancel.

Just be honest, and see what they can do….at the end of the day, if it’s too much, it’s too much.

the-muffin-man

^what bongohoohaa said.

You don’t have to jump through hoops just phone them up – and tell them what you want to keep. Drop in that you use Netflix or Prime though “which are much better value”!

I’m currently paying £27 a month for a pack that includes F1 channel (no other sports), HD, and their basic TV package.

You won’t save much on your Fibre and line rental though, but you could drop some of the extras.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks, will give them a call tomorrow.

We actually have netflix, prime and kodi. Will bin netflix and prime while I’m at it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You are better off cancelling as that way you get the retentions team calling you. It doesn’t switch off straight away so you won’t sudd3nly be TV less.

Drac

Listen to wrightyson cancel the lot tell them you’re moving to BT, ignore the initial offer unless it’s outstanding then just wait.

martinhutch

cancel the lot tell them you’re moving to BT,

Just, whatever you do, DO NOT actually go to BT. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

#bitterexperience

FuzzyWuzzy

Phone them up and cancel, say you need to reduce your bills but don’t really want to lose the features you have so will look for alternatives (I find if you just say you want to cut costs they mostly focus on reducing your package rather than discounts), alternatives can be streaming etc. so no need to lie and say Virgin.

Don’t agree to anything in the first call, just say it’s not enough of a discount and you wish to continue with the cancellation (usually you’ll only get a small discount offer + 12 month contract lock-in).

At that point it’s probably worth installing the Sky app, you’ll likely get a discount offer through that within a week or so (it’s 30 days before you actually lose the service), mine was 35% with no contract – I ignored it but apparently sometimes better offers come through.

A few days later I got a call from them asking if there’s any way they can change my mind, I asked for a 50% discount (for 12 months) with no contract lock-in and they agreed – I could have pushed it further (a mate got 50% off plus a £100 account credit) but I couldn’t be bothered. I wanted a Sky Q box for free to but apparently that’s a whole other department but might try that in 12 months time…

chipster

I rang up and cancelled our tv package 2 or 3 months ago. You have to give 30 days notice, so you’ll still get all your service until that expires.
    As FuzzyWuzzy says, you’ll get a 35% discount offer straight away.
    I hung on till the day before the month was up, went on Live Chat and ended up with 50% off and £50 credit, locked in for 12 months.
    It’s well worth doing.

zilog6128

If you wait until after the month is up (and can bear being without sky for a little while – actually not that traumatic 😀 ) the default offer is 60% off, plus I asked for (and got) £100 credit. Also binned off Sky for phone/fibre as BT were doing half price + £150 cash back (via quidco IIRC). I’m now paying Sky only a tiny fraction of what I was before, which feels good!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Done.

Did it via livechat, notice period on tv applied but they left it off the phone/bb as they said BT wll sort that as I’m allegedly going there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘So I cancelled my sky and actually listened to stw!’ is closed to new replies.