Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So I bought a book the other day….
  • Travis

Being stuck over in the airport waiting for the weather to clear, I decided to buy a book.
    I haven’t bought a ‘physical’ book for sometime, recently, all of mine have been in electronic format.

I must say, that it’s quite a pleasure to hold, and I think I’m reading more, as I don’t mind dropping it when I doze off, it take it place where I wouldn’t feel so comfortable taking anything electronic (e.g beach, kitchen)

mikey74
    Free Member

I haven’t bothered with e-readers yet. They have their place, mainly for travel, but otherwise I just prefer a proper book.

mattjg
    Free Member

I find Kindles uncomfortable to hold and, for reading, I don’t like the backlit screens on phones/tablets (see also theories on blue light at nighttime interrupting sleep).

But also I like the personality and character a paperback has, especially if second hand. I also like how easy it is to skim through them, and how easy it is to see how far through I am just by looking feeling and glancing, rather than reading section counts.

Paper wins for me.

mogrim

I’m trying to avoid buying paper books, fiction at least. I’ve got a house full of the things, and I know that the vast majority I’ll never open again – they’re just taking up space and gathering dust.

BigJohn

We moved house recently and now I can’t move for boxes and boxes marked “books”. We’ll never read any of them again. Some are good literature some are trash but we can’t bring ourselves to get rid even though there’s a local charity we like to support which is always eager to take them.

Travis

Mogrim, I know what you mean.
    I have them all over the place, hence why I’ve been using electronic format for a while.
    It was nice to go back to book though……
    Should I go back on the wagon though?

mogrim

We moved house recently and now I can’t move for boxes and boxes marked “books”. We’ll never read any of them again. Some are good literature some are trash but we can’t bring ourselves to get rid even though there’s a local charity we like to support which is always eager to take them.

I’ve still got unopened boxes full of books from when I moved house, over 7 years ago… Thank god for kindle 🙂

montarius
    Free Member

Can i suggest giving your old books to a charity shop? That’s I do with mine. Most supermarkets have book donation bins in the car park.

molgrips
    Free Member

If a book is any good you shouldn’t even notice what it’s written on.

avdave2

I love my Kindle for travelling which I do a lot of and for being able to download a book whenever I want. I still like real books though and if I had both copies at home I’d pick up the paper copy out of choice. I’m quite happy to have no physical music or films in the house but i can’t imagine not having lots of books.

DezB
    Free Member

In a similar way to how I like to alternate between book styles that I read, I quite like to alternate between paperback and Kindle.
    I prefer the physical book, partly because there is more on each page.
    The Kindle is great for Cormac McCarthy books though, cos it has instant Spanish translation.

molgrips
    Free Member

Holding a Kindle btw is made significantly easier with a fold-open book style cover.

pondo

I’ve dabbled with the e-reader thing, and whilst it’s the tool of choice for flyaway holidays where space and weight are at a premium, I’d still just rather have a book.

DezB
    Free Member

Holding a Kindle btw is made significantly easier with a fold-open book style cover.

I have to have mine landscape oriented cos I don’t like the short lines of text when it’s portrait.

tonyg2003

It’s the convenience of just down loading a book wherever I travel, the extra space books take up and the lower cost of Kindle books that appeals to me. Plus I find reading the Kindle as satisfying as reading a book.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have to have mine landscape oriented cos I don’t like the short lines of text when it’s portrait.

Tried changing the font size? I use a fairly small font but then I am short sighted so it’s never been an issue for my eyes. I too don’t like short lines of text.

There are also larger format Kindles if you want more text.. but maybe only available in the US?

DezB
    Free Member

Tried changing the font size?

Of course 🙂

Travis

Talking of font size, the other day on a flight, I saw a Gentleman who had really bad eye sight.
    The font size on his Kindle was so high, that I could read it from 5 rows behind him.
    (He was also really really tall)

The wife and I try not to read electronically at home, as we want to encourage the children to pick up more books as well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So I bought a book the other day….’ is closed to new replies.