Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So how short a steerer is usable?
  • simon_g

My mate came over today for some help fitting some new forks (Tora 318s) and for the first time, I cocked up cutting to the right mark and made them too short. I feel like a right tit, especially all the times I'd said "measure twice, cut once" to other people.

Anyway, it's ended up with a 165mm steerer (I take it that's normally measured from the flat surface the crown race would sit on to the top?). Too small for his 20" inbred, even with no spacers – but would this be a usable length on some smaller frames? Was pondering building a new bike for my gf, else selling on here – or is it too short and I should start looking for a new steerer/crown assembly?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yes, but very limiting

njee20
    Free Member

It'll go in a very small frame, but that's about it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have seen them as short as 165mm before, but it's certainly going to restrict the market you can sell too & the bikes you will be able to use then on! I also should say those I have seen cut that low before are usually dual crown and take a direct mount stem….

I would start looking for a new steerer/crown assembly – gutted!

simon_g

So presumably as long as headtube length + quoted headset stack height + stem height (minus a couple of mm) is under 165mm, I'd be OK?

naokfreek
    Free Member

Should be ok, just work out your stack hieghts and fit an according stem and headset. Shimano do a low stack headset, then its a case of how much you've got left for a stem. Sunline stems are about the lowest and crop up on the classifieds now and again. Smaller frames have pretty short head tubes so do your homework first and should be cool.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would be just ok on the 16" inbred I think and marginal on a could of other frames I have. You can get steerer extenders

mamadirt
    Free Member

Should be OK on frames which take integrated headsets too as they have a very low h/s stack height. 165mm would fit my Tazer frame with Superstar internal 1.5-1.125 reducer headset, Diabolus stem and 5mm spacer.

simon_g

Ta all – and that's genius TJ, didn't know such a thing existed (despite buying a 1" quill to 1 1/8" ahead adaptor ages ago). The BBB one looks ideal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano do a low stack headset

They do?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simon – the steerer extenders area bit of a bodge and are heavy – but I ran one for a while without issues although I did have to get some machining done on it to get a really goo fit. Your local machine shop could machine up a bespoke extender for you which could be welded onto the existing one – would be expensive but cheaper than a new upper assembly. Simply bit of lathe work

wwaswas

look at the Crank Brothers headset – very low stack height.

my experience is that headtubes that take internal headsets tend to be 'taller' than normal as they use the extra height to give a bigger weld area for the other tubes rather than shortening the whole thing.

I've got a 165mm steerer in a std inbred frame with a lowish headset and short stack height stem. You're more likely to succeed with a steel frome I think – they generally seem to have shorter headtubes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So how short a steerer is usable?’ is closed to new replies.