Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • So? How did he do it?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

?

Alphabet

tick

sharki
    Free Member

With frustration and an old sock?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

u meAN darren brown?
    did he do what?
    thier r many un explained questions to ur question

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you sound like you've had more chardony than me!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm more incline to belive he broke into lotto HQ than the wisdom of crowds.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but that wisdom of crowds theory would only work for a predetermined number, not for something yet to be established. The average guess of a crowd will normally be more accurate than an individual's.

Here's how he did it (IMO)

Filmed with a few separate groups until one group predicted 3 or more numbers in one of the draws to give the illusion of this prediction system working. Probability suggests this would happen soon enough.

He then got this group to choose more numbers – which he conveniently didn't show to anyone until after the draw. The whole point of a prediction is that you show it before the event.

The film itself was clearly split screen filming. The moving camera effect was to throw you off the scent – either applied live, or was two shots filmed separately from the same sequence of movements. The shot is only still for about 2 seconds before he walks over to his numbers (once the draw has all been completed), which is when it stops being split screen, and reverts back to a single shot.

The numbers weren't predicted – they were simply placed there once the draw had been made. If he could really predict this, he would have shown his prediction ten minutes before the draw.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the wisdom of crowds works whe your guessing the weight of a cow/number of coffee beans in a jar etc, or any other correct answer, because your just taking a lot of guesses, of which an infinate number of guesses, should form a normal distribution, wth the average at its center.

There is no "correct answer" to what next weeks lottery result will be. Therefore you cant guess it. Therefore you cnt averge out a lot of answers to find the corect one.

And WTF was the snowflake about?

waihiboy
    Free Member

what a load of f*cking bolox!!

but we all knew that.

1 – Why didnt he show us HIS final calcs?

2 – Why didn't he show us the balls he put into the tube?

3 – The big one (as joeydeacon points out above) why all the shitty suspense on the live show, just put the predicted balls on full view on the stand before the lottery started

its the same as all the tits that watch that 'most haunted' sh*Te and believe it

vinnyeh

Surely the average prediction of the numbers would tend towards the middle of the range- I would expect the group average prediction to give up numbers in the 20's or so. To pick the number '2' as the group average would be extremely unlikely.

Pembo
    Free Member

Interesting the balls were just plain old ping pong balls and not the proper type of lottery balls with multiple numbers on. Also, when he turned the balls around the numbers were pointing slightly upwards and all the ink was above the perspex bar containing the balls. Could he have used a remote laser/etching device to 'paint' the balls from above as the numbers came out, or have I had too much beer?

joemarshall
    Free Member

What a waste of an hour.

It's gotta be either a magic trick or a camera trick.

There's no clear evidence of the split screen / freezing half the video, and the camera movement effect is very clever if it's applied afterwards, as you can see a bit of parallax (where things move in front of others as the camera moves). The camera movement is consistent with a handheld camera on some kind of little steadicam, or just under the arm.

Similarly, the magic trick is damned good if it is one. But then he could probably do 100 magic tricks that no-one except experienced magicians would be able to guess the method of, and is good enough that even magicians probably wouldn't see the moves he makes (particularly with the perfect angle of view that the single camera gives him).

Joe

sharki
    Free Member

there was defiantly a sock involved and some furious beating..it's the least the loon deserves.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

That's because they didn't pick "2" Vinny. They didn't see their "prediction" until after the draw.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*places balls in a sock and beets sharki with it till it gets messy*

deft
    Free Member

It's just a cheap magic trick, even cheaper as it only had to be done on TV and not in front of an audience. Just because it's the lottery numbers doesn't mean anything as he said himself they would already have to be drawn before he could reveal his 'guess'

vinnyeh

That's waht I was trying to say joedeacon, rather ineptly it seems. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think some people might have missed the point …….it's supposed to be a trick. Presumably that is why he will reveal how he did it. And no, I don't expect him to say simply that it was magic.

It's entertainment. And I can't see why anyone above 8 years of age might take it seriously enough to call it 'bollox' or 'sh1te'

sharki
    Free Member

If it was one of my socks it would certainly get messy..

colnagokid

Calm down dears its just entertainment! 😉

waihiboy
    Free Member

wondered when your type would appear… 😉

It's entertainment. And I can't see why anyone above 8 years of age might take it seriously enough to call it 'bollox' or 'sh1te'

indeed, i am well aware it is entertainment for the masses, but it cracks me up a tosser is making loads of cash taking the piss 😉

alwyn
    Free Member

I thought you meant Lance Armstrong wining all those tours and not getting caught doping.

avdave2

He was never going to reveal how he did it because in doing so he would be revealing how he does other tricks. The most amusing thing is that group of 24 who seem to actually believe they did it.

And did anyone note the "accidental slip" in his alternative explanation when he referred to she when describing the insider at the lottery. So were we meant to take that in at a subliminal level and thus believe he had given away more than he meant to.

waihiboy
    Free Member

why hasnt the channel 4 derren borwn site posted my rant?? mmmmmmmm

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i think the only way he can br proven is if he guesses and reveals before the draw.

waihiboy
    Free Member

have to give him credit, he's making money out of it and i admit i was suckered in to watch it.

his jokes thoughout the show especially at the start were cringe worthy though. i bet he was bullied in school

sharki
    Free Member

If not he deserves bullying now.

Anyway…how did he do what, i've not turned the TV on in weeks, what goe's on in the world?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and i admit i was suckered in to watch it.

Weren't you just 😀

I have to admit that I didn't watch it, and I'm surprisingly uninterested in how he did it. But you keep ranting to channel 4 anyway waihiboy 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

if it was the "wisdom of crowds" there will be 24 winners tomorrow night. Otherwise I reckon he put some dodgy balls in Guinevere.

aracer
    Free Member

I think some people might have missed the point …….it's supposed to be a trick. Presumably that is why he will reveal how he did it. And no, I don't expect him to say simply that it was magic.

Yes, but other magicians don't say "it's not magic" as he does. I watched a bit just now on +1 as I was curious what he would reveal (rather than expecting to find out how he really did it), and if you watch with the attitude that it's all misdirection, all his little misdirections really start jumping out at you ('she', the list of explanations not including the real one to make you think about things it wasn't, etc.)

The thing is, IMHO he's now gone rather beyond performing tricks into the realms of deception and fraud. Do you think there won't be groups of people now wasting their time and money trying to beat the lottery?

if it was the "wisdom of crowds" there will be 24 winners tomorrow night.

The trouble is, they won't have the bloke to fix the maths for them any more. I mean even in the one where they got 4 right, that was a post-diction (with a bit of error thrown in to make it more believable).

richmars

I'm just waiting for those 24 people who 'guessed' the numbers to get together and try and do it again and loose lots of money!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do you think there won't be groups of people now wasting their time and money trying to beat the lottery?

Isn't that the whole idea of the lottery ? To believe that despite all the evidence to suggest the contrary, you really might win.

aracer
    Free Member

To believe that despite all the evidence to suggest the contrary, you really might win.

The difference being lots of people now think the evidence suggests it is possible to win.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No that's not different. Presumably everyone who bought a ticket previously, thought that it was 'possible to win'.

The Lottery exploits people's irrational beliefs. If that is in anyway unacceptable, then perhaps the Lottery itself should be banned.

joe1983
    Free Member

If it wasn't BS he should have bought a ticket with the correct numbers on. Could always have burn't it after he was proven correct so he wasn't misusing his 'magc'

aracer
    Free Member

No that's not different.

If you think so, maybe I didn't express myself very well. People think there's a chance they might win, and that chance is big enough for it to be worth bothering. They're not necessarily incorrect in that thought. Now they think they can cheat the system and definitely win (do you really think people thought that before?)

Yes the lottery might be based on irrational beliefs, but they didn't have people with an air of authority telling them their irrational beliefs were rational before.

aracer
    Free Member

If it wasn't BS

Do you really still think there's a chance it was real?

colnagokid

the most amazing thing is he got loads of people who dont like him, or actively hate him, or think he's some kind of criminal to watch his show- and then come on here and slag him off/ bite their computer screen with anger/ email CH4/ Daily mail etc!!!
    ITS ON THE TELLY!
    FFS if you dont find the guy entertaining dont watch (surely you knew what to expect?)
    I dont like the soaps and big brother so I dont watch them!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Of course it was real!
    The simple (and true) solution is that baby Jesus whispered the correct answers to them.

samuri
    Free Member

no one does magic, it's all illusions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘So? How did he do it?’ is closed to new replies.