Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • So Germany next….
  • Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

We might as well do it the good'n'proper way (Germans, Argies, spicks then Brazil).

Its in the bag!! 😈

Jamie
    Free Member

We might as well do it the good'n'proper way (Germans, Argies, spicks then Brazil).

….and this is the bit of football that makes me angry.

oldgit
    Free Member

Angry! Cricket must make you seethe what with all the Poms and Aussie stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whos_Daddy – Member
    …spicks…

Lovely. I like seeing England do well but sentiments like that drain any sympathy I have when it all goes wrong as it inevitably will. 🙁

romster
    Free Member

Not really much left to debate imo now, we're through to the second round, job done. We've got ze' germans next. Sunday roast cancelled, burgers, bbq's, and a few beers at the ready, lets enjoy it!

Jamie
    Free Member

Angry! Cricket must make you seethe what with all the Poms and Aussie stuff.

Livid mate 😉

You have to admit in the cricket it is lighthearted, whereas in football it is a bit more than that.

Meh…maybe i am just a limp wristed lefty Guardian reading liberal.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…a limp wristed…

Didn't your climbing date help with that? 😉

maxray
    Free Member

It just clicked that your not English Darcy.. which would explain your comments. With a name like Darcy maybe Irish? Which would definitely explain things! 😉

Shame to see France offer nowt after cheating you out of a place at the finals. 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:

Didn't your climbing date help with that?

Not to bring our domestic back onto the forums Darcy, but let it go. You had your chance.

hora
    Free Member

This is one match that I am going to watch.

romster
    Free Member

This is one match that I am going to watch.

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…but let it go….You had your chance.

I can't… 🙁

Shame to see France offer nowt after cheating you out of a place at the finals.

Ouch, that hurt, you sharp witted guy.

scuttler

I absolutely love football and can't wait for Sunday. Last night's media was reasonably reflective on the day's play with a certain amount of relish about playing Germany but today – here we go – media frenzy / tabloid style / commentary replay / good times, bad times bollocks / everyone's an expert for 4 solid days.

I'm going out on my bike until Sunday.

maxray
    Free Member

Darcy, you should notice the 🙁 after it which was intended to show a genuine sadness at this fact. I would have preferred to see Ireland in the WC than France based on the fact they deserved to be their and France cheated.

But hey, everyone is against you Darcy! Go back to making your tin foil hat to stop them getting to your thoughts.. 😯

Bimbler
    Free Member

Love the way the English media build up England vs Germany matches as some sort of super clash of teams of similar standing, rather like Bolton bigging up their matches against ManUre.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah that's me…perpetual victim. Hell, I even thought for a while that France getting through was part of a big FIFA conspiracy. Luckily guys like you see right through the likes of eejits like me eh? 🙄

Everyone's always against me, not just football fans with prejudice and unrealistic expectations.

molgrips
    Free Member

and we were left to scrap the Boxheads alone

And we know what happened when we tried that eh (know your history).

Btw, what's actually wrong with the term spick? I thought it was short for Hispanic?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol – that FT article is by a guy who wrote a book called 'Why England Lose'. Hahaha.. what a bloody cheerful title.. I'll be rushing down Waterstones for that one NOT.

nickjb
    Free Member

Love the way the English media build up England vs Germany matches as some sort of super clash of teams of similar standing, rather like Bolton bigging up their matches against ManUre.

From wiki (whatever that means)
    Of the 27 games played against Germany, England have won 12, while Germany have won 10

Fifa rankings 2010: Germany 6, England 8

Not many wins recently, though

Bimbler
    Free Member

From wiki (whatever that means)
    Of the 27 games played against Germany, England have won 12, while Germany have won 10

Fifa rankings 2010: Germany 6, England 8

At the sharp end however –

Germany – World Cup Appearances – 17, Champions 3, Runners Up 4.

Germany – Euro Champs Appearences – 10, Champions 3, Runners Up 3

Can't be bothered to count losing semi-finals appearances

England – World Cup Appearances – 13, Champions 1, Runners Up 0.

England- Euro Champs Appearences – 7, Champions 0, Runners Up 1.

maxray
    Free Member

Luckily guys like you see right through the likes of eejits like me eh?

Paranoia? Couldn't give a stuff really, but do try to read and understand posts rather than just assuming the world is against you. I am sure you are not an idiot, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Enough of a stuff to reply. You're far too clever for the likes of me maxray. Your posts display subtlety I can only dream of achieving. Things like…

That's bollocks

I mean, that's just genius in it's succinctness.

Interestingly, why would being Irish

explain things

?

Blackhound

Bimbler – Have England ever made it to a Euro final? I may have forgotten but can't recollect an appearance.

Was in France last week and enjoyed watching Mexico beat France in a French bar. Proudly wore my Irsh cycling jersey a couple of days as well…..

trailmonkey

I think this is the perfect game for us. If we win we'll be perfectly set for a decent attempt at the competition itself. Possibly scraping through against Ghana wouldn't really help us at all. I think the Germans are an attractive side to watch but they're young and inexperienced and they'll be missing Sweinsteiger. This is a game we can win, without any doubt.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is schweinsteiger definitely out?

maxray
    Free Member

Darcy it would explain why you were negative of England's chances to win and your perception that neither Argentina or Germany would fear playing us.

I have never alluded to being subtle nor clever, as you do not know me I would suggest not trying to judge that based on 2 or three posts on a thread. 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bimbler – Have England ever made it to a Euro final? I may have forgotten but can't recollect an appearance.

D'oh! Sorry got mixed up, they made the semis in 96

nickjb
    Free Member

D'oh! Sorry got mixed up, they made the semis in 96

No. During extra time Gazza slid in at the far post, just made contact with the ball, tapped it in. Germany went out and we made the final. That's how I remember it 🙂

trailmonkey

Funnily enough, playing England matters little to either side

You've been watching too much QI. England is a huge game for Argentina. England is a huge game for most of the world.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You've been watching too much QI

No, not lately, just listening to some rational Germans on the radio.

England is a huge game for most of the world.

Oh I see…for whom is it not massive game then?

Darcy it would explain why you were negative of England's chances to win and your perception that neither Argentina or Germany would fear playing us.

And why would my being Irish explain that maxray? I know you're clever and all that, but that didn't explain anything.

trailmonkey

Oh I see…for whom is it not massive game then?

No one.

I know it hurts but England is one of the big names in world football regardless of how crap we might or might not be. Would that Norwegian commentator reel out a long list of famous Irishmen if Norway gave their boys a hell of a beating ? No, in fact, back in 1981, they probably wouldn't even have televised the game. Because of our perceived status as the birthplace of the game and because of our Imperial background there are few countries in the world that don't relish a game against us.

But hey you know all this.

Hope that helps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But hey you know all this.

I don't. Why are you bringing nationality into it?

Hope that helps.

🙄

trailmonkey

I don't.

Then you don't appear to know much about the world game then.

Why are you bringing nationality into it?

Because we're talking about national football teams.

Hope that helps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Then you don't appear to know much about the world game then.

Nor do you…we're obviously as ignorant as one another here. You see, you and lots of other blinkered England fans are convinced that the whole world sees the game against England as the big one. When in fact, this is not true…not in footballing terms anyway…that's the sport in question isn't it? Argentina would prefer to be beaten by England than Brazil/Chile/Uruguay (some of their neighbours…hope that helps). For Germany, it's Holland. You're kidding yourself if you think that England is the big game for any of those nations.

Historically, they probably like getting one over on England, but they're pretty bored of that now.

Because we're talking about national football teams.

You haven't answered the question, but hey ho, you know that.

Hope that helps.

I'm thinking there's little there for you to impart to help me. But feel free to keep trying. It's kinda fun reading.

trailmonkey

You see, you and lots of other blinkered England fans……………..

Nice stereotyping, I thought we were supposed to have the xenophobic opinions according to your earlier post.

……………..are convinced that the whole world sees the game against England as the big one

No they see it as A big one not THE big one.

You haven't answered the question,

Yes I did, you're just being selective about reading the answers.

I hope there's help for you.

Hairychested
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Is schweinsteiger definitely out?
    That'd be useful, especially if Klose, Podolski, Trochowski and the other Poles went on a binder the night before.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘So Germany next….’ is closed to new replies.