Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • So, do British Gas have shoes?
  • matt_outandabout

I have a full bladder… 👿

They could not organise a drinking session in a brewery, let alone a bill to a customer.

And when I object and tell them they are wrong, the set the debt people on you…and then hand you *another* bill! that is “right” and tell you to ignore all the previous letters, including the one that said our account was paid and settled….I haven’t had elec or gas from them for four months, and even then it was only for a fortnight.

Anyone got the CEO’s email?

chudsy
    Free Member

We had similar with npower, went through ofgen to get it sorted in the end. Lot less hassle than trying to get them to sort themselves out.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

A friend of mine just got off a >£900 nPower bill as they failed to take payment for an entire year!

samuri
    Free Member

British Gas are a terrible company to do business with in my experience. We, against popular opinion, decided to use them to install a new boiler. The install itself was a complete cock up. My wife came home and found them running a gas and drain pipe down the entire side of the house, told them to stop and they refused, left the condensation pipe running a good 20 foot just clipped to the wall. Obviously every winter it froze and the boiler stopped working. Call BG, yeah we’ll be there soon. Three days later without heating or hot water I’m ready to shoot any BG employee that turns up. Then a chap appears, saws through the condensing pipe and leaves. Another chap turns up two days later and puts a new pipe in. Repeat for three years until I completely lose it, call them up and tell them if I see another BG employee on my property, I’m calling the police. I’ve got a hacksaw of my own thanks.

Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys. Avoid using them at all costs, you will regret it. That’s my advice.

bruneep
    jamj1974

I had a billing issue once. They owed me money and couldn’t seem to get off their arses to refund over £500… I threatened to picket their offices with a placard and hey presto my money was refunded!

theotherjonv

It’s not just BG, it’s all the big utility companies. I got a bill from the waterboard for 6 months usage that was about a tenth of usual usage by both past bills and their ‘typical’ usage data. Clearly a misread by the meterman. I phoned and gave them a new reading which was spot in line with both. No issues at all, mistakes happen.

10 minutes later I get a call from their query billing dept. My usage in the last 2 weeks (the time between their ‘reading’ and mine) seems excessive. They think I should consider going onto a commercial use tariff. Is my wife taking in washing by any chance, as my usage is in line with a commercial laundry? I again explain the situation, but this time to someone whose default seems to be disbelief. Finally it’s straightened out and all clear.

10 days later I get a revised bill with a new payment plan. Based on my current usage, my payments aren’t enough to cover future usage and they want to increase my monthly dd!! Finally spoke to someone useful and all seems fixed.

andermt
    Free Member

Had a bill from BG recently saying due to current usage they want to increase the DD by £30.

We pointed out that we were currently £600 in credit on our bill and our usage in the last 12 months was LESS than the previous 12 months!

Told them to stop the over payments and give us our £600 back, and no, we won’t be paying an extra £30 a month, they agreed to this eventually!

mav12
    Free Member

just to add balance they refunded me £130 and reduced my payments without me asking

4130s0ul
    Free Member

So out of interest, who does the hive mind favour for hassle free energy?

I have had a nightmare with npower / BG over the last year and I am set to move house so will need to look into setting up a new account.

sandwicheater

I’ve used both BG over a few house changes and Npower for the business and have never once had an issue.

I may be the minority, I don’t know.

BillMC

I’ve never had a problem with EDF. Their prices seem competitive and when I’ve phoned there I get to speak with a sentient human being. They also returned my excess payments.

MrsToast
    Free Member

We had a problem with British Gas a few years back – they sent us a massively inflated bill for over £700. We queried it, they told us that if we didn’t pay that we’d be subject to legal action. We told them that the number couldn’t possibly be correct, and could they recalculate, gave them our meter reading… they told us that if we didn’t pay, we’d be subject to legal action, but we could possibly work out a payment plan. We eventually got through to somebody with half a brain – she agreed that the number looked way out given our previous readings, and we gave her our meter reading. Turned out that the chap they’d sent out to read the meter had written the number down wrong, switching the two middle digits.

They still had to send someone else out to double check we weren’t lying. When we moved house we avoided them like the plague.

Lifer
    Free Member

BillMC – Member

I’ve never had a problem with EDF

I have! 😀

Work and home, bunch of useless cockbags.

bikebouy
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    I had a billing issue once. They owed me money and couldn’t seem to get off their arses to refund over £500… I threatened to picket their offices with a placard and hey presto my money was refunded!

I had the same problems only nPower and the overcharge was… wait for it… £967, also claimed back the overcharging they did on purpose back in the early 00’s which was £67 plus interest after they tried to rip off all nPower customers on “pay when your bill hits the matt” types (not DD customers)

Pile of shite, all of them, pile of shite.
    Took me going to ofgem, 2 solicitors letters (which I billed them for) and a 3hrs on the phone (which I also charged them for)

fubar
    Free Member

So out of interest, who does the hive mind favour for hassle free energy?

http://www.ovoenergy.com/

I had my credit balance paid back to me when I requested and they pay interest on credit balances (over a certain amount) too. I joined using TopCashBack and had some cashback too so check there before joining.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Had my issues with EDF in the past , but seem to be sorted now. They took my meter reading down wrong transposed the digits – something like 22865 which they read as 28265 – the readings were a month apart! Revised my monthly payments from £40 to £250pm! was all sorted out I now enter a meter reading once a month/6weeks and have a pending £160 refund…

I found using their online chat service a lot better than phoning.

MrGrim

Glad I don’t have gas reading this thread.

I’ve used SSE for gas/leccy in the past and use them now for leccy. Never had a problem. I should shop around, but I have no hassle. Call centre is based down the road in Perth and always seem happy to help on the rare occasion I need to phone them. £100 over-payment on this months statement and it was in my bank account automatically the next day.

footflaps

I use Atlantic Electric and Gas, they auto refund any balance. Very impressed by their service.

keng38
    Free Member

OVO energy.
    Read meters every month. Get 3% interest on credit (been overpaying £100 a month for over a year)
    No hassle. Claiming money back just email photo of meters and 7 days later cash in the bank.

samuri
    Free Member

I got a bill from the waterboard No such thing 😉 Which company is it?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Fubar > Thanks for that I will check it out later

honeybadgerx

If it makes you feel better I owe Scottish Power a whopping £17 for my final bill, but neither their website or 24 hour payment hotline (which is only available 8am-10pm weekdays), will let me pay. I’ve registered a complaint, which they aim to address in five working days. That was seven working days ago.

senorj

I moved house in March and transfered my energy provider from the old address (Npower fwiw) to the new one, where British Gas had been the supplier.British Gas were supposed to send me a bill for the gas usage in the first month – they didn’t .The Bastids simply let a debt collection agency send me a threatening letter for one months worth of gas! They then had the cheek to ask if I would be interested in switching back to British gas! Jog on British Gas.

TheWrongTrousers

Ugh, British Gas ! don’t get me started ……
    A few years ago was comtemplating that boiler service & insurance scheme thing, they had to send someone round to look at the current installation as part of the process. Booked a ‘morning’ appointment, asked them to call my wife half an hour before they arrived so she could get home form work to let them in. No problem they say.
    1210 they call her and say they’ve arrived (since when is 1210 ‘morning’ ??) Ok, I’m on my way, I’ll be there in 20 mins. Oh no, sorry, we can’t wait that long, we’ll be late for the next appointment !!!! C*nts !!

After a few years, a different house, and a bit of calming down, decided to give them a chance to redeem themselves.
    Same ‘morning’ appointment, I have the morning off work anyway so can wait in until they show.
    1310 phone call, answering machine message, we’re on our way !!!
    1315 I leave the house to go to work. Not really that bothered about telling them nobody will be in, let them have a wasted journey (small things, I know)

When I phoned them up to complain, the woman signed off with “and is there anything else British Gas can help you with ?”
    Hahahahahahaha
    You can help me to f*ck off, you useless t0ssers !!!!!

Sorry, I need a lie down now …..

jamj1974

I’ve found Ovo and First Utility to be great.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I like First Utility. Every month I enter my meter readings on their website and they charge me by direct debit. The only estimates are for one month if I forget or am away. I’ve had no problems in the four years I’ve been doing it. Which Magazine likes them. There’s been a discount for having gas and leccy from them.

However a mate has had an ongoing nightmare with them, though I do wonder about his computer skills.

I guess all of the suppliers give some customers problems. All you can do is move on if you’re unlucky

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘So, do British Gas have shoes?’ is closed to new replies.