Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • So close to blackbird carnage…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Got wysteria covering the back of the house and currently got blackbirds and Robins nesting in it. Today must be leaving the nest day as I’ve had to chase and recover 3 different blackbird chicks from the front room on separate occasions. The first one was in the mouth of one of my cats!! Luckily she hadn’t done it any damage yet.

They are obviously jumping out of the nest for the first time and instead of heading out into the world going straight in through the double doors and into the house. Cats (all 4 of them) are now imprisoned in the house until I can be sure there are no more birds in there.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

On behalf of the birds thank you ! I know it’s nature but still not nice ! I couldn’t hurt an animal . Que stupid replies…..

CountZero

Hell, no stupid replies from me, I’d be doing the same thing, in fact I probably wouldn’t have any cats around anyway, like ’em, but allergic to ’em.
    Well done Ioddric, kharma points on each chick!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well done lodders. See my thread from June about chasing neighbour’s cats off from my own family of robins. The morning they fledged and I chased the cats off 3 times in a quarter hour I was in bits. I used to love cats…. Bloody killers

GrahamS

We’ve got a blackbird nest in the clematis right next to our back door. We’ve been watching them sit on the eggs and feed the resulting chick for months.

The other morning we woke to find the chick happily sitting out in the open on the paving in the middle of our back yard.

There are cats that regularly patrol around our neighbourhood as well as larger birds, so after a bit of deliberating I stuck some gloves on and carefully moved it back onto the nest.

Next day it was out again, so it is obviously ready to fledge, but this time it stayed in much better cover so hopefully it learnt a lesson!

It’s currently hiding underneath our daughter’s toy car. The parents are still actively feeding it and we’ve blocked up the usual easy-access approaches for the cats.

It’s high drama to see if it will learn to fly and get up off the ground before it becomes a meal.

Drac

Baby Robin?

sandwicheater

If we all club together we may have enough for a pie. Think the recipe calls for 4 & 20 so we’ve a few more to go.

GrahamS

No thanks, I like my nose where it is.

GrahamS

Well… a couple of days ago I saw a young cat walk past with a live Blackbird chick in its mouth then plonk it on the grass to torment it.

Rescued the chick with the intention of putting it out of its misery but despite losing a few feathers and having a cut it seemed like it might have a chance so I took it home instead to see if my Blackbirds would adopt it.

I went to place it in our garden where I knew our chick was hiding and discovered our chick was dead 🙁 (not sure what got it – didn’t looked mauled and was still well hidden).

Removed the body, placed the mauled chick there and crossed my fingers.

Good news so far is that the male seems to gave adopted it and has been feeding it for a couple of days now.

Not sure how much hope it ultimately has but I gave it the best shot I could.

GrahamS

Well ••••! The mauled chick didn’t make it either. 🙁

Blimmin’ cats.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘So close to blackbird carnage…’ is closed to new replies.