Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • So cider
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Never really drunk cider beyond the odd glass of the some of the bigger brands in my youth which didn't appeal. I see tax is to go up on this and guess that's because the stronger brands are drunk my teens and tramps – 2 groups with much in common I suppose. Anyway, maybe I should try some as I assume there are some good smaller brands about so what should I try? Needs to be available in supermarkets or offies and I ain't travelling to the west country….

BigDummy
    Free Member

I ain't travelling to the west country

I think this may be a mistake. I was once in an off-licence not far from UK Bike Park at Blandford which basically sold cider. He had about 90 varieties before you got on to the pear cider, cider with other stuff in it, novelty cider etc etc etc. Fantastic place. Very, very drunk later. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sainsbury's has:

Aspreys (very dry)
    Henney's (powerful on the tongue)
    Green Goblin (Wychwood brewery. Sweet. Goes down very easy.)
    Thatcher's (Very strong)

Also, "Jacques" Normandy cider, if you like that sort of thing… (*sniff*)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I can second the Green Goblin one, . . . they had it down out local offy for a pound a bottle a few weeks back, . . boy did I fill my boots!!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Stowford Press is quite nice.
    Go carefull with Thatchers!! I found out the hard way about how strong it was. 😳

Earl_Grey

I don't usually drink cider but I am partial to Thatchers Katy single variety and Aspalls Premier Cru. Both are very strong and the Aspalls is possibly the driest cider in the world.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ooops. As Earl reminds me, I meant "Aspalls", not "Aspreys" (dunno where that came from). 😳

When I feel like a bit of a pig-out, one of my favourites is: a whole Sainsbury's "Taste the difference" topcrust steak pie (belch), peas, ketchup, and a glass or two of any of the above… 😉

Keva
    Free Member

love cider.

Hennys
    Sheppys
    Westons

are probably my favourites. Dunkertons stuff is strong tasting. check the alcohol so you know beforehand that it's 7.3% or something. some of the Westons reserve is 8.2%… for completely irresponsible drinking neck four of those in quick succsession after a long bike ride !

Kev

london_lady
    Free Member

I am partial to the odd bottle of aspalls cider – either the premier cru or the perronelle blush (with a hint of blackberyy liquer)

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Quite like a Katy myself, sainsburys & waitrose do it, so no need to head down to Wurzle Land

D0NK

Thatchers and some westons are awesome, really nice flavour but at >7% bloody rocket fuel. nothing like the nasty strong white cider kids and tramps get mashed on.
    Perry is nice too, I like koppaberg but too sweet for some (weirdly I can't stand magners/bulmers pear tho)
    The big supermarkets are doing a nice range nowadays give em all a try 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Being a bristolian, a lot of people here are "unhappy" at the tax hike. They see it as due the SW not being massively pro-labour, that labour have effectively said "sod 'em", we'll tax cider.
    Many people are quite excited at the reintroduction of the old recipe Blackthorn which will unfortunately coincide with the tax hike.
    Anyhoo, my favorites are Thatchers Gold (unbeatable IMO), Stowford press, Exhibition (from the corrie tap). Bath ales Bounder is nice too and Natch is a cheap but fine option.
    Edit; I see that a facebook group has been set up opposing the tax. They've called themselves "Magner carta".

D0NK

Is taunton cider still going? (pretty sure that was the stuff) Used to have it on draft in a pub near me and at jabez cleggs in manc, both back in the mid 90's, only 2 places I ever saw it. Lovely stuff. Also a bit peeved at the tax as ciders one of the few alchoholics drinks I like. That minimum charge per unit is looking a bit better now ie posh/nice drinks will already be at the right price, nasty strong white cider (the stuff they are actually trying to limit*) will be hit hard.

*i presume

gringo

I'm rather partial to Badgers Apple Wood cider. Is it too early for one now… 😆

Keva
    Free Member

two others I forgot to mention…

Rattlers

..and legless but smiling. lives up to it's name.

from Callestock cider farm, Truro, Cornwall… worth a visit if down that way.

http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/index.html

trailmonkey

Fight the wurzel tax

glenp
    Free Member

The real thing is where its at for me – not fizzy in a bottle, but still & straight from the barrel to a pint glass. Burrow Hill is the biz – anyone who knows the Glastonbury Cider Bus knows Burrow Hill.

There's three kinds of cider – singing cider, sleeping cider and fighting cider. For virtually all occasions you're better off sticking to the singing variety!

ahwiles
    Free Member

'pear cider' is called Perry.

me maam's from wiltshire, i knows about this.

odannyboy
    Free Member

henry westons reserve is sold in alot of supermarkets, that'll rock yah boat!!

or old rosie is in my local pub 7.5%, few of those and your well away!! 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

This is all you need to know.

soobalias
    Free Member

stowford press is sold under a different badge in sainsburys – sorry i cant recall exactly what right now.

even after the budget there is less tax per pint on cider than beer/larger and far less than wine/alcopops

Drink Cyder and give less tax to the thieving twatsicles in charge!

thomthumb
    Free Member

old rosie – strong old stuff.

Kit
    Free Member

Kopparberg – all varieties as you can't go wrong
    Jacques

backhander
    Free Member

Kopparberg – all varieties as you can't go wrong
    Jacques

Pervert.

DrP

You know, I lurve cider, and have sampled plenty of the 'fancier' ones in bottles, and at the end of the day, as the paying punter, my choice is….

…an ice cool tin of Strongie!! Eek!

DrP

Del

'pear cider' is called Perry.

me maam's from wiltshire, i knows about this.

and you'll be saying wilts is in the sw next…
    pear cider is made from pears.
    perry is made from perry pears. 😉

Dunkertons (micro Herefordshire) used to produce rum perry, taking wooden casks used o import rum, fill em with perry, leave to absorb, bottle & drink.
    I live on the Heredordshire/Gloucestershire border (Westons just up the road) & this could hurt. If they have a problem with the massed produced chemical drink called cider, then deal with it. But leave the smaller genuine makers alone, it's hard enough for any business at the moment.
    Westons organic is soooo good. Getting thirsty now.

kimbers

is cider not just an alcohol drink for those not manly enough to drink bitter?

its just too sweet for me

and there was that horrible experience when i was 14…..

glenp
    Free Member

is cider not just an alcohol drink for those not manly enough to drink bitter?

Other way round!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

am deffo planning on getting a couple of bottles in for my Friday night …

making my protest from the sofa 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘So cider’ is closed to new replies.