Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So bad it's good? Or just vile?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saw this on the drive back in to town this evening;

I could hardly stop laughing, nearly missed the turning down Gloucester Road!

I do love it when the Middle Eastern folks arrive in London. They bring all their utterly tasteless, yet strangely fascinating cars with them!

psychle
    Free Member

wow… is that real??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

flashy, you seriously need to deal with your tendencies towards envy. Meditation is good for this. Give it a go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy, no envy in that direction, I can assure you! The rather lovely seemingly perfectly restored DB5 I saw on the M3, however, now that I envy!

psychle, it's very real! The hotel car parks of SW1 and SW7 are full of such over-blinged tat with UAE/Qatari/Omani etc plates!

tails
    Free Member

Wish I had the owners money.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wish I had the owners money.

So does flashy 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very true, Darcy! 😉 Although, if I did have it, I might spend it with a little more taste!

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

To someone with a tea towel on his head in his stainless merc, someone who wears barbour jacket and wellies and drives a 4×4 round chelsea probably seems equally ridiculous

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Agreed flashy 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WANT IT.

Is that windscreen mirrored? That's illegal, surely?

I do love it when the Middle Eastern folks arrive in London. They bring all their utterly tasteless, yet strangely fascinating cars with them!

Tastes differ from culture to culture. It's considered vulgar in the West to ostentatiously display one's wealth, yet not in other places, especially Saudi Arabia and Kuwait etc. In fact, maybe the other side of the argument is that the British are traditionally too repressed and desperately want to show off, yet have some kind of Victorian guilt complex which prevents them from doing so.

Your possessions can be a statement about yourself. Why not go a bit wild? That car is no different from someone having brightly coloured dyed hair, or wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt, ultimately.

I saw a Rolls Royce with fat low-profile alloys on recently. If I were rich, I'd have similar, lowered with a two-tone paint job and coloured lights underneath as well as the obligatory stupidly loud stereo blasting out bowel-loosening D+B, for the sole reason that it would outrage Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Penrod;
    Barbour(s) – Check
    Wellies – Check
    4×4 – Check (But it's a "normal" car, not a big off roader!)
    Chelsea – Check.
    😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Elfin, how's the missus doing? She had it yet?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Saw this on the drive back in to town this evening;

I could hardly stop laughing, nearly missed the turning down Gloucester Road!

But that photo was taken outside the "Mall of the Emirates" in Dubai.

Did you get lost or something………..how long did it take you to get home ?

http://jalopnik.com/tag/chrome-mercedes-slr/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ernie, I was hardly going to stop the car to take a photo, now was I? That was a google searched image of the same car!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was hardly going to stop the car to take a photo, now was I?

Oh I see…….

Why not ?

Klunk
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I beg your pardon, Deadlydarcy?? I don't have a missus. Well, not my own, anyway..

It's an interesting subject, the concept of 'taste'. I find it a bit irritating that a small minority in Britain, IE the upper classes, are supposedly the arbiters of 'taste and style' in our nation. An outdated and culturally invalid notion, really. Smacks more of the need to conform to a socially accepted norm, than about individual freedom of expression.

To each their own, you know. If the kids want to walk about with their trousers falling down, well, as long as it's not harming anyone it's ok, I suppose. Likewise with rich Arabs and flashy cars. I find that far more tasteful than folk in red jackets chasing foxes round the countryside with packs of hounds, but then that's just my subjective viewpoint.

I find it amusing that someone with the moniker of 'Captain Flashheart', an incredibly vulgar and morally reprehensible fictional character, is sneering at someone else's idea of style! Or am I missing some massive irony here?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the driver has a gun is one of the main reasons
    politeness is a distant second to self preservation

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now that is a work of art, in an incredibly kitsch Liberace/Jeff Koons sort of way:

Ooh yeah.

allthepies
    Free Member

LOL @ fred. Still sticking to the "I'm new around here" story 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

red would be your colour esp in footy elfin 😉

trailmonkey

I like the silver car just because it seems to make Fauntelroy's sh1t itch.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I've seen a Range Rover driving round Bradford with a chrome wrap like that.

I think he's lost 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woof. That's ridiculous:

john_drummer
    Free Member

do the driver & passenger look like this?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Purple chrome?? Now we're talking!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

I prefer the more colour coordinated bling…..with added schadenfreude* 😉

*…even tho I assume the release fee was quite affordable to the owners.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, that Koenigsegg (spl?) has been parked outside the Lanesborough for the last couple of weeks.

Now, who is that owns the Corner Shop these days? Oh yes…. 😉

corroded
    Free Member

Suspect those clamps were intended (for the press coverage). Hideous colour though. I have sneaky preference for the chrome Merc…

carbon337
    Free Member

My mate in London snapped that and an identically awful chrome veyron parked up outside some hotel. He has a Facebook album of fancy cars he spots in the city.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Quite interested in learning the OP's idea of what constitutes 'good taste', actually. Seeing as how Johnny Foreigner can't possibly have any…

Of course, we British would never dream of behaving in such an ostentatious or vulgar manner. Oh no. It's simply bad form to show off…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – I think you'll find the tart sitting in that carriage is actually a foreigner.

Kuco

That merc is well fecked up 🙁 I'd have been more impressed to see a AMG or Brabus version not that tinfoil jobbie.

brakes
    Free Member

reminds me of this

meehaja
    Free Member

meh, just like being in Bradford. It's all about chrome wraps this season, might get one done for the wifes C3

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm afraid I'm rather sympathetic to that car. As a general rule, expensive and/or desirble cars tend towards vulgarity and showing off. That particular one has decided to look like a tiny silver-plated space-ship. All power to it. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

meh, just like being in Bradford. It's all about chrome wraps this season, might get one done for the wifes C3

I saw a BMW 4×4 (that horrible coupe one) with a matt black wrap/dark tints/matt black alloys the other day.

Utterly revolting.

willard

All these flash cars _almost_ make me want to do something about the rust on my car.

But then, I'm far too lazy to do anything like that, and my wife is driving it at the moment in any case.

Chrome is just so last year.

Polished aluminium is where it's at these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So bad it's good? Or just vile?’ is closed to new replies.