Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 493 total)
  • So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…
  • warren569
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I haven’t yet tried out any of the carbon rims that are (apparently) designed for AM use but thought that was the way to go for stiff + light. Just looking at Light Bicycle 30mm HD carbon @420g each, so yep, that puts a wheelset in the 1600g range unless you go for a lighter hub (e.g. DT Swiss 180).

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would also save 150g using X01 cranks rather than X1….sorry, had to bring it up again

Is X1 really that heavy? SLX/XT is 760g and X01 GXP is 700g if X1 is 850g then it sounds a bit crap.

AlexSimon

655g vs 800g from what I remember frosty. Carbon arms on the XX1 and X01

plus-one

Mine out of box with me fitting xt pedals was nudging 32lbs … Fitting my carbon bars and setting up tubeless it was 30.4lbs

If your really concerned with weight I suggest this isn’t the bike for you 😉

I’m a self confessed weight weenie/whippet type but this is an out and out play/trail/enduro(or whatever the current buzz word is)

Picking the bike up you indeed feel the heft but once rolling and climbing I could be on a bike at 25lbs it really climbs that well 😀

skellnonch
    Free Member

oops! just pressed the button on a blue one

brant
    Free Member

There’s a bloke test riding a blue one on the road outside right now 🙂

warren569
    Free Member

Plus One – “If your really concerned with weight I suggest this isn’t the bike for you”…can’t say I am weight obsessed, probably was a little 5 years ago but realised a 26lb all mountain bike doesn’t necessarily mean you will go faster, though a 32lb 130mm bike isn’t necessarily ground breaking either 😉
    Might look at the Stumpy Evo 29, as the Codeine frame isn’t available until mid-August anyway….hope you get out and enjoy yours, will keep reading this thread for updates!

plus-one

I looked at the stumpy evo too but big drop in spec and similar claimed weight swung me back to codeine ..

DeeW
    Free Member

Got mine built up last night. Couple of quick rides today and very promising. It’s not light but pedals very well despite just setting to the guapo tube without extra fiddling. Not sure I have the time/patience to play around with the shock settings. We do really need someone who knows their suspension to give us some base settings..

One problem I came across was fitting a chain guide. Got a Truvativ XO guide (MRP G2) and the chain is too far inboard (32t ring on XTR M970 chain set middle ring position, one 2.5mm spacer drive side on BB). Never going to work with the offset 30t ringmaster NW ring I’ve also bought. Anyone had better luck with a chain guide?

brant
    Free Member

One problem I came across was fitting a chain guide. Got a Truvativ XO guide (MRP G2) and the chain is too far inboard (32t ring on XTR M970 chain set middle ring position, one 2.5mm spacer drive side on BB). Never going to work with the offset 30t ringmaster NW ring I’ve also bought. Anyone had better luck with a chain guide?

We are running MRP guides on some of the team bikes, on various cranks, without issues.
    I can get more details when Crossland is back from his jollies on Monday.

happybiker
    Free Member

Some nice bikes here! I’ve just put some wide carbon LB 29er rims on my Hope straight pull wheelset, they came out just over 1700g with 2.0/1.8 spokes. I can’t image a strong set of wheels in the 1400g range!
    And the difference between x9/x1 and xo1/xx1 is under 100g AFAIK.

konanige

Right then enough of the talk about 100gram weight savings, I’m currently on a kona coiler that weighs 38pounds !! what I really want to hear is honest opinions of how it rides as my finger is hovering over the buy button!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m now pretty settled with my settings.
    17mm sag,hsc 1/2turn,lsc 10 clicks,hsr 2 turns,lsr 16 clicks.
    It’s on the side of plush/stuck to ground and if going ‘gnarlcore’ I’d probably up hsc a 1/2 turn and possibly run a little less sag.
    Not had tyre/seat tube interface with the offset bushings…..yet.
    +25mm on the tt and I reckon it’d be pretty much perfect.At least I know what size Nicolai ion15 to get now 8)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Honestly? It’s dead stiff,manuals really nicely (which makes it enormous fun),quite heavy but does’nt feel it,could be longer but mainly because I’m tall and want to run a 35mm stem and pedals well enough that I embarrassed a load of roadies (up a 12% gradient) on the way to the trails this morning.
    My Yelli was the best bike I’ve ever owned (still is).The codeine is like a fs version of it.

plus-one

It rides uphill great and a total hoot on way back down 😀

Here’s me grinning like a fool on mine

Excuse retro top it’s how I roll 😆

image by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Cheers for setting Rorschach I’ll have a tinker 😉

konanige

Anyone in the south west got one I could sit on? or do I have to make a three hour pilgrimage to Sheffield? On another point could Brant make another magical appearance on here and tell me if my considerable 15.5 stone bulk would overpower this awesome looking bike?

brant
    Free Member

15.5 stone is fine.
    Read how people commend it for its stiffness. That’s what you need. We have it.

konanige

Thanks for the help Brant, looks like I’m gonna be making a long drive to Sheffield at the weekend then 😀

brant
    Free Member

Call first. Check availability of models to sit on.

konanige

In that case Brant at 5ft 10 and30inch inside leg what size would you put me on? I might just trust my instincts and buy without riding same as i did with my summer reason and my armadillo both of which have been great fun!!

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium. Sheffield local but taking my Codeine with me down to Bristol next week (training week with work but looking at getting out most evenings). Happy for you to have a go if you’re near bristol.

konanige

Thanks very much for the offer, l might take you up on it if i haven’t already put hovering finger to buy button. Finger getting very heavy now 😮

skellnonch
    Free Member

So mine turned up, the finish looks superb – pics dont do it justice, fetch the tissues…. uh….uh…. back in the room, is there a base tune anyone can recommend? Been on the CC website and it all looks very promising, would be nice to have a starting point…

imcangus
    Free Member

Mines been “in picking” for what seems like an age! You lot are all teasing me with these updates!

konanige

Hi there DeeW, would indeed like to take you up on your offer of a sit on your lovely steed if the offer is still there.I only live 15 miles from Bristol near the Mendips, where are you planning on riding? Nige.

aurelio
    Free Member

Are there any codeine – cane creek db air basic setup recommendations yet? I got some advices from Wayne (Planet x Customer Service):

Hi

Hear are the setting that one of our codeine team uses for down hill enduro

HSC 3 1/4
    LSC 3
    HSR 3 1/4
    LSR 15

Thanks
    Wayne

Kind Regards,
    Planet X Customer Service

Any other Suggestions?

Any recommendations for a new bar? Race Face SIXC 780mm?

Any toughts?

mrhoppy

So codeine owners, did yours come with the CCDB tool? I’ve just opened the box and mine doesn’t have one.

plus-one

I never got a tool .. Never knew there was one ??? I just used a spanner 🙂

mrhoppy

Cool, there’s a little trail adjustment tool, wasn’t sure whether it came with or was a separate buy. Yodel appeared to have been inspired by the world cup and kicked the box around the depot and it had a couple of holes, was just making sure nothing had gone missing.

bazingaeuan

I’d love to know when we can get replacement rear mech hangers.

brant
    Free Member

I’d love to know when we can get replacement rear mech hangers.

Our system shows 19th August. I think we can get them here faster than that.

jeffs

My full build Codeine came with rear mech cable routed under the bottom bracket, and hanging quite a long way down, too. I want to change this.

Just checked on the Planet X site and the bike there looks like it has more sensible routing. Can anyone post a close up of a better routing?

Also, anyone added a bash guard to the X1 chain set? If so, which?

brant
    Free Member

My full build Codeine came with rear mech cable routed under the bottom bracket, and hanging quite a long way down, too. I want to change this.

Just checked on the Planet X site and the bike there looks like it has more sensible routing. Can anyone post a close up of a better routing?

That is the production routing. We have run it other ways, but that is the cleanest rub free way of doing it.

DeeW
    Free Member

Mine’s doing the Mega (plus 4 days riding beforehand) in a couple of weeks time. Brant: any chance there is a spare hanger somewhere?

For routing mine goes inbetween the non-drive swing arm a non-drive BB shell: really neat though there is a bit of rub on the CNCed section above the BB.

simon2490
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the DBair is the one with the climb switch?

sq225917
    Free Member

Its not.

DeeW
    Free Member

No climb switch, but really does not need one on this frame. Pedals brilliantly: very little bob.

brant
    Free Member

Mine’s doing the Mega (plus 4 days riding beforehand) in a couple of weeks time. Brant: any chance there is a spare hanger somewhere?

Some are being air freighted as we speak.

jeffs

@DeeW
    Thanks for the routing advice. Mine’s off to the Alps next week.
    A couple of years back in the Alps a friend’s brake hose, which went under the bottom bracket on his Specialized, was severed. Never seemed a sensible place for any cable or hose to me.

Brant: please let us know ASAP about those hangers. Could do with one by Friday to take away…

plus-one

I know the Codeine isn’t really a long xc ride type bike but it never stopped me doing just that today ..

4hrs 10m 1900m of climbing 38 miles not a problem …

Lots of top descents though 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 493 total)

The topic ‘So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…’ is closed to new replies.