Viewing 13 posts - 481 through 493 (of 493 total)
  • So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…
  • brant
    Free Member

Brant: please let us know ASAP about those hangers. Could do with one by Friday to take away…

I finished at On-One on Monday. But… hangers were on the way, and I remember there being one on Ben’s desk.

crankrider
    Free Member

Off anywhere exciting Brant? Still in the bike industry?

timmys

Leaving on-one / PX Brant for good or just off on a work trip?

The picture of his P45 on instagram would suggests the former.

crankrider
    Free Member

Just had a little look and edited my post.

Interested to see how things go at on-one without him there, PX will be fine no doubt but it seemed Brant had his part to play in most of the good stuff On-one sell.

brant
    Free Member

Off anywhere exciting Brant? Still in the bike industry?

Taking some time off, really not sure what next.
    Been a blast at on-one and Planet X, but it was time to move on.

DeeW
    Free Member

Thanks Brant: got the hanger off Ben’s desk put by for me to pick up tomorrow. Good luck in the future..

damascus
    Free Member

Good luck in the future Brant.

brant
    Free Member

Thanks Brant: got the hanger off Ben’s desk put by for me to pick up tomorrow. Good luck in the future..

Brilliant 🙂

Cheers.

[/quote]damascus – Member
    Good luck in the future Brant.

Cheers.

cooie

Anyone gone from a Salsa Horsethief to one of these,and if so was it the right decision?!!

frood
    Free Member

3 months since I pre-ordered got mine, going out for a real test of it tomorrow! Got the large – I’m 5’11” with long arms – feels perfect in the car park test, looking forward to hitting some tweed valley descents tomorrow!!!

frood
    Free Member

b r and I did a 40 mile 1800m climbing day yesterday Selkirk to 3B natural descent through Walkerburn, another natural descent, up Innerleithen to the top of Minch, quick trail centre descent then the southern upland way back to the 3B and another couple of natural descents then back round to Selkirk.

Some tight twisty and steep stuff, some flat out fast straight stuff and the usual drops berms etc

I’ve got a Titus Fireline with a 120mm x fusion slide built up with 2×10 with a 42 expander, which tips the scales at 26lbs with a hans dampf front and mountain king rear, which will be my most recent comparison.

I’m on a loan bike at the moment (long story) which has revelations in stead of the pike, but the weight difference is less than 100 grams and the full (20″ frame) build with a pair of time xc6 pedals comes in at 32lbs with tubes and stock tyres – I will be going tubeless, but I wanted to go for a ride first.

First impressions are that it’s a BIG frame, I wanted to stick with the 35mm stem and have long arms so decided to go with the large – it’s given me the space to breathe and I like the attack position, the front wheel and bars are far enough in front of me that I can really move my weight about between the two wheels without feeling like I’m going over the bars and after riding it properly, it has been the right choice for me. There’s not much room for the reverb to go any lower (approx an inch) – but standover is fine with that big kinked drop in the top tube… but when I’m riding that doesn’t really matter anyway!

First off pedalling – there is very little bob from the back end and the front end stays put and goes where you point it. You will need to take a wide line in to tight switchbacks, but that’s the best way to carry a bit of momentum through anyway. The back wheel tracks the ground well and provides acres of grip on steep and tech climbs and in loose dirt manages to find enough bite too.

I’m used to a slightly narrower bar (720mm vs the 760 that comes on the bike) so the first descent (2km 171m) going into the usual Yair tight narrow twisty singletrack through the trees I clipped the bars on a couple of trees and with the longer front end than I’m used to ran slightly wide through the first couple of corners, but adjusted to that quickly – use an aggressive attack position and the front end really goes where you point it and the rear wheel tracks easily over imperfections in the trail, allowing you to pump the terrain at every opportunity for more speed. The trail has a lot of the woops that you get through pine woods and then opened up into a very overgrown but fast narrow winding string of trail that has seen better days – big holes in there that are hidden by the overgrowth, but again just pointing the bike in the right direction it rolled through everything and tracked well. First descent – first KOM…

It definitely takes a bit of effort to get it up to speed – big wheels, and big heavy tyres – but once it’s there it just keeps the momentum going and you can carry all that speed through terrain and corners with ease.

The last descent we did was incredibly wet and slick and despite understeering a couple of times it was very predictable and I was able to bring the front wheel back in line.

It’s the first full susser that I’ve been able to manual – the front end pops up easily and over things.

I did have a number of pedal strikes – but that had all but sorted itself out by the end of the ride I’ve gotten used to being able to b*tch crank on the hardtail to help it through and over things where you can’t do with the full suss once it’s well into its travel.

Build – I’ll need to play around with the settings on the CCDB, but so far the back end has done exactly what I wanted with minimal fuss, the Revelation is mostly excellent, though could do with a bit more ramp up – it’s very plush but also very linear, so can be bottomed out quite easily on G-outs despite running 20% sag. The Avid trail brakes have ample power and superb feel.
    The X01 drivetrain shifts positively, though I will miss the multiple upshifts of the XTR shifters on the other bike – will have to keep an eye on longevity, and the reverb is solid as you would expect.
    The X0 hubs engage very quickly and sound great, the pacenti rims are wide, but from other’s experiences they are rather ding-able so will probably need to keep a reasonable amount of pressure in the tyres to prevent rock strikes.

I managed to set several PRs on climbs and set about a dozen on descents including 3 KOMs – so it’s definitely no slouch!

KsaweryW
    Free Member

Let me express my disappointment.

Reading all the good reviews and having tested one 29er and as result of the test ride being very interested and considering purchase of 29er I decided to visit shop in Edinburgh to view, taste, smell and touch Codeine 😉

It was on Saturday (wet raining day) early afternoon. The guy I spoke to was very nice, knowledgeable and very helpful. We had interesting chat exchanging our view and experiences of enduro races we did. Basically he knew the stuff (you know this positive feeling when you are talking to somebody who is keen and do understand what you are talking about). Eventually I asked if there is any chance to test this bike to experience it to help to make decision. Obviously there was but I could take it only for 15 minutes ride round the shop. As everybody probably would agree this is not way you can get any idea what the bike is capable of and if it suits you… However this enduro racer mentioned that they just received back bike from client who had had it for some time. It looks there it some exception from the 15 minutes rule. He just made my day as we agreed me to take this bike for proper test on Monday or Tuesday, depending on weather.
    I asked my boss to for half day off to be able to pick up this bike early afternoon in order to take it to Innerleithen as it was agreed. I got to the shop on Monday afternoon, all the formalities and paperwork was done, I gave them my pedals to fit to the bike. The guy who was preparing this bike for me witnessed my Saturday’s chat with the enduro racer staff, moreover was notified by the enduro racer on what we agreed to make him completely aware. However regardless that he said that they give their bikes for the 15 minutes ride only. I reminded him this what happened on Saturday but it didn’t make any difference as he didn’t change his mind. Try imagine now all the emotions that exploded in my head, I had been thinking about this afternoon all Sunday and half of Monday 😉 I lost half working day!!! Instead of potentially great ride and decision on buying new bike I hit wall. But even though I just politely asked him tho give me back my pedals and left the Planet X shop. I would have probably exploded if I stayed there for another minute. His attitude was just unpleasant and malicious.

That’s the end of short story but I can still feel this massive disappointment. I waited up to today’s morning with writing this post to calm down as if I did it yesterday I would probably used many unprintable adjectives 😉

Now is time for clue; is there anybody riding trails in Inners or Glentress on his Codeine Medium, willing to share enjoyment of riding this bike, to let me have a short ride on one of those trails? I am really keen on some 29er but I would love experience it myself first of all to be sure the bike does what I expect before buying.

Cheers

harryjan
    Free Member

Ever so tempted by the frame after feeling a little under bikes in the alps on my 100/120mm Xc ghost.

Is there anyone with one in Devon/dart moor who’d be open to letting me have a cheeky demo?

Viewing 13 posts - 481 through 493 (of 493 total)

The topic ‘So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…’ is closed to new replies.