Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • So after being knocked off my bike this eve…..
  • jamesco

TurnerGuy – Member

[/b]It is noticeable that if I only have one on as flashing or constant, cars (mostly Addison Lee taxis…) will pull out in front of me at junctions, but it never happens if both are on flash.

No , thats cos the poor inattentive fools think you might be Nik Nik

D0NK

at the end of the day as a cyclist you HAVE to take resposibility for everything that happens on the road

no, everyone on the road has to take responsibility. If you mean we get the shitty end of the stick when motorists don’t act responsibly then yeah ok, and yeah being right but dead is no consolation but that ^ attitude isn’t really on.

swisstim
    Free Member

You can get way better brakes than 105. I would try Bontrager Speedlimits, they are seriously impressive in terms of feel and power. My stopping distances certainly seemed to improve in emergency situations without locking up wheels.

simonb512
    Free Member

This happened to me once, well I didnt go down but I did stop with front wheel in their rear wheel arch (Land Cruiser type car). She realised I was struggling to stop in time (so was the bus behind me), and decided to just stop.

Apparently advice I was given by the forum I frequented at the time was that I was going too fast near a side roads entrance/exit.

Anyway in all seriousness if all you got out of that experience is that you need better brakes I’m a little concerned. You must of saw him at the junction before he pulled out? I’m not suggesting to yield to all traffic, but it would make sense to approach it with caution. You can never trust traffic to do what you expect it to.

Sometimes accidents cant be avoided, I’ll admit that. However as long as you learn from them it makes you a better rider.

amedias
    Free Member

also, not all flashing lights are on/off/on/off, some of the multiple LED ones will leave one or two LEDs on constant and pulse the others so there is no ‘off’ phase.

You get the best of both worlds then, sorry to hear about your off OP, I had to window-slap a car this morning as he decided to reverse into me to let another car through a tight spot.

njee20
    Free Member

You must of saw him at the junction before he pulled out

As I read it: Car going same way as OP, overtook him and immediately turned left in front, nowt he could do.

Also: “you must have seen him” pet hate 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

nyway in all seriousness if all you got out of that experience is that you need better brakes I’m a little concerned. You must of saw him at the junction before he pulled out? I’m not suggesting to yield to all traffic, but it would make sense to approach it with caution. You can never trust traffic to do what you expect it to.

I did see him waiting and he saw me. I saw him turn right on to the road I was going down. the lanes were quite wide in that section. I was out of my saddle ready on the brakes. I thought he’d let me pass as cars often do, they wait then pull into the road behind you. He decided to pull out then turn left across my path I wasn’t too close to the curb I never ride in the gutter (to much debris) I was on the brakes thats why I’m not hurt and the bike isn’t damaged.

He overtook me about 2 meters before he made the turn, tell me apart from coming to an absolute standstill (which I was trying my very hardest to do) What else I could I have done? Some one in the car told him to take ‘this left’ so mentally he wasn’t prepared to do it.

So apart from steering away (he was turning left I tried to go left as well) and coming to a standstill which I failed to do there is nothing that I could have done that would have altered the outcome. APART FROM GETTING SOME BETTER BRAKES

I’ve been commuting by bike in London since 97 my time riding like a d*ck is way behind me – I don’t know it all, but I’d like to think I can read a situation.

loum
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

When will idiot cyclists learn that flashing bike lights hinder and impede a car drivers ability to judge his distance from you.

As a cyclist and driver I disagree, and don’t much like you calling me an idiot! And regardless, the bulk of the problem with drivers and bike lights come from people just not noticing you, flashing lights are more identifiable in a sea of constant lights. That’s why emergency and hazard lights flash.

mereditp
    Free Member

After a few hairy moments with my 105 calipers I did a lot of research and the best all round performing caliper seemed to be the dura ace 7800. The 7900 changes the leverage ratio so you must pair up 7900 sti’s and calipers, so thats an expensive way to go.

7800’s are £85 each on ChainReaction but last month there were several new pairs on eBay for £100. I went the CR and vouchers route for £120 total.

Anyway, I’m really impressed with the difference. Seems like there’s more power, more control and much more confidence.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

May I just say….

In my experience, all the bike lights I’ve ever used.

If they have a flash mode, they also have a constant mode.

So I wonder, is it legal to ride on flashing lights only ?.

Also, if the rider actively selects teh flashing mode, how much responsibility rests with that decision ?.
    You could have selected constant, but elected for flash.

I do agree with some of the comments ^^^^
    Flashing lights are more difficult to judge distance on.
    They can be missed by someone glancing in that direction just at the moment the light is off.
    I do not feel that flashing lights are more noticable than a constant light.
    And, most entry level lights are fairly cheap.
    Can’t you ride with two lights.
    One on flash, one on constant.

Edit:
    Hope the OP is Ok, to the OP. Do you wear any reflective stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Aren’t all flashing lights ‘road legal’ but not many constant ones are?

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Aren’t all flashing lights ‘road legal’ but not many constant ones are?

No idea, so I thought I’d ask.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

non-flashing front lights have to conform to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard, and rear non-flashers have to confirm to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard.

Not many lights have those standards and those that do are pretty old and not very desirable/useful.

Also you need to have four pedal reflectors apparently – but I don’t know how to fit them to my eggbeaters.

swisstim
    Free Member

interesting singletrack forum style debate on lights guys….the OP asked about brakes….any recommendations or just sling some more mud around at each other…

bontrager speedlimits since you ask….

andywoods
    Free Member

whether you ride flashing light solid light fit better brakes you cant predict people/drivers have to admit have often thought if it happened to me whether to take the driver stance of why the hell did you get in my way, didnt you see me cutting you up and try out this road/cyclist rage

project
    Free Member

sOLO, do you get upset at ambulances, fire engines and gritters along with the nice policeman who will be calling round to have a chat, about your inflamatory comments.

THEY ALL HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS.

OH AND I BELIEVE OPTITIONS HAVE SPECIAL OFFERS FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED.

69er
    Free Member

I’m not with Solo, but as an experienced motorist/LGV driver I do find myself thinking ‘inconsiderate idiot’ when being dazzled cyclists with powerful flashing front lights on ‘high beam’.

We share the road with other users, it would be prudent not to aim lights to dazzle oncoming drivers. Aim them to light the road up, not oncoming drivers retinas.

downgrade
    Free Member

Solo – Member

Bet your lights were flashing, weren’t they !…

When will idiot cyclists learn that flashing bike lights hinder and impede a car drivers ability to judge his distance from you.

I cycle and I drive and I utter detest idiot cyclists who ride at night on flashing lights only.

Ride on flashing lights ONLY, and you get what you deserve !.

One of the most unpleasant things I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something.

Sum
    Free Member

I’m guessing from his absence that Solo was trolling at the expense of someone else’s misfortune, rather than expressing a serious opinion, and not worth responding to.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Before I start I must say that I have every sympathy with the Op and none with the driver.
    Buuut I reckon ( based on passing lots of cyclists with lights on) that whilst flashing lights are easier to spot they are not so easy to focus on. I definitly find it easier to work out where a static light is rather than a flasher.
    i still have mine flashing though or both if two lights are on.,

HermanShake
    Free Member

Regardless of your callipers some drivers are particularly careless. Don’t bother upgrading your already good brakes, ride more cautiously. You were obviously the victim of a moron, but I think it’s safer to assume you haven’t been seen than have.

It can also scrub more speed if you find your rear wheel locked and fishtail the back end for extra friction.

If a driver can’t comprehend a cyclist’s movement from their flashing lights, give them the benefit of the doubt. People are so impatient on the road, giving someone an extra 5 seconds won’t kill anyone however rushing will.

molgrips
    Free Member

Solo’s not being malicious. He just doesn’t realise how he’s coming over at times, that’s all.

imnotverygood

We share the road with other users, it would be prudent not to aim lights to dazzle oncoming drivers. Aim them to light the road up, not oncoming drivers retinas.

The trouble is, such is the lack of attention generated by non-dazzling lights an awful lot of people are trying to make quite sure that there are no grounds for SMIDSY. The day that drivers take the care to look properly is the day when people on bikes will give due consideration to not offending other road users.

nwilko
    Free Member

If flashing lights are so bad for judging distance…
    Is a fundamental rule of the road for all users to make certain the way is clear before chaning road position..
    IE the poor confused car driver should be prompted to take more care due to the flashing lights…
    Cant belive your on a bike forum slating a guy whos been hit by a muppet who overtook him then immediatley turned across him, on that basis the driver knew exactly how fast the bike was and where it was SHOULD THE STUPID DRIVER CHOSEN TO GIVE A F*** ABOUT ANYONE ELSES SAFETY..

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not that most drivers don’t give a fk, it’s that they aren’t thinking clearly. If you asked them ‘would you like to knock this guy off his bike?’ almost all would say ‘no, of course not’. However they are not concentrating properly.

Note none of this is an excuse, I am not defending the driver at all.

We share the road with other users, it would be prudent not to aim lights to dazzle oncoming drivers

If you go about with one massively powerful piercing light on you’re not doing yourself any favours since drivers won’t even be able to look in your direction so won’t see where you actually are or anyone else in the vicinity.

If you want to be seen, wear bright colours, lots of high viz and have numerous small lights, some flashing but brigher steady ones.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Solo = big hairy lady part (4 letter word) with comments like that. I drive too flashing lights are annoying but ha Ho you just slow down more to avoid if your unsure not call the names and blame them for it at least they are using lights.

Ps solo if you got hit and posted here about and some cock started blindly blaming without knowing if yours lights where flashing or not how you feel prick.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So after being knocked off my bike this eve…..’ is closed to new replies.